Towing mx 5

ton27

Hi anybody towed mk2 mx5 on an A frame
Can't find any information anywhere
Mind you I'm not the brightest spark

Having owned one, and I cant answer your Q, worth the ask as MX5 is rear wheel drive. I still miss my imported Eunos Roadster.

Make an A frame to connect to the x member, remember you must have the a frame work the car brakes, bit silly as most are servo assist but its the law.

Shouldn't be an issue unless it's an auto...

Personally I wouldn't be bolting some towing device that someone designed on their kitchen table
to a part of a vehicle that a large automotive manufacturer spent a lot of time and money making deformative and folding towards the occupants of the vehicle to protect them....

The shock loadings that the front structure of a modern vehicle must go through when being towed makes my eyes itch.

Shouldn't be an issue unless it's an auto...

Personally I wouldn't be bolting some towing device that someone designed on their kitchen table
to a part of a vehicle that a large automotive manufacturer spent a lot of time and money making deformative and folding towards the occupants of the vehicle to protect them....

The shock loadings that the front structure of a modern vehicle must go through when being towed makes my eyes itch.
Hence I said it must bolt to the front x member, not the body.

Hence I said it must bolt to the front x member, not the body.
Even that isn't designed for towing...

The stresses involved in directions it was never designed to cope with...

Only the towing eye/s are designed to be towed from and even then only for a short duration and for recovery...

If one of the well known A frame suppliers make a pullbar for the MX5 then I should say you are ok but there isn't much info around, strange really because there are so many experts around🥴🥴

If one of the well known A frame suppliers make a pullbar for the MX5 then I should say you are ok but there isn't much info around, strange really because there are so many experts around🥴🥴
'should'

Funny how so many parts of the world don't seem to agree....

Hey ho just bolt whatever you want to wherever you want...

It SHOULD be OK

I am pleased we agree, it should be OK 😇
Reading my post again I should point out that I didn't mean anyone on here when I said so many experts, I meant around the internet, obviously not a popular car to tow

We towed a Chevrolet Matiz with an Armitage A-Frame for 3 years and everything worked well (y)

Then we all but stopped using sites so i sold it and the guy that bought it is still using it today 10 years later :)

Even that isn't designed for towing...

The stresses involved in directions it was never designed to cope with...

Only the towing eye/s are designed to be towed from and even then only for a short duration and for recovery...
The x member has the torque of the engine to road on it, so a tug from a link bar is going to be no problem.

The x member has the torque of the engine to road on it, so a tug from a link bar is going to be no problem.
Is the direction of force and the frequency of that force...

Manufacturers only design stuff to do the job its supposed to do...

They don't design stuff with the thought that Mr motorhomer wants to tug their car along using some 3rd party bit of kit behind their behemoth...

Folks WILL obviously do as they like...
So it's no wonder that the front ends fall off Ford KAs etc...

But its a risk I wouldn't want to take OR expose myself to.

Is the direction of force and the frequency of that force...

Manufacturers only design stuff to do the job its supposed to do...

They don't design stuff with the thought that Mr motorhomer wants to tug their car along using some 3rd party bit of kit behind their behemoth...

Folks WILL obviously do as they like...
So it's no wonder that the front ends fall off Ford KAs etc...

But its a risk I wouldn't want to take OR expose myself to.
True but most connect to the flimsy body and not the heavy x member that holds the engine and struts, the other big problem with new cars is they are power steering and thats as stiff as hell without the engine running, some stress that would be.

Do you really believe that?
In terms of them only designing components like crossmembers/deformable front end components and towing eyes crumple zones etc etc

Yes I do....
They certainly don't design stuff with the thoughts that someone's going to bolt some random A frame to it....

Most of the parts of a vehicle body are actually very lightly built...
Things like the cross brace behind the front bumper is designed to keep the panels in place and deform inwards in the event of an accident absorbing impact energy and protecting the occupants,...

Same at the rear end.... Its why there are specific attachment points for towbars etc.

Thanks everyone for your replies seems a grey area having read information on links given so going to tow my goldwing trike instead

Would you put the front wheel in a dolly? would the transmission be up to it, a two wheel braked trailer might be better.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back