Totally new with no mechanical know how

scaryt

Free Member
Hello all, we have seen a Chausson flash 510 2015 model where the layout would work for us. We are totally new to motorhomes. We've had a caravan in the past but are useless when it comes to practical mechanical know how. Are we mad to even consider it? I've been doing my homework and reading/watching a lot and am VERY aware that we would be far better off if we could do more practical jobs around the van. I would much prefer to wild camp or do tiny sites so am aware I need to learn a lot more about electrics/battery power etc. I fear we are total numpties but willing to learn!

Hello all, we have seen a Chausson flash 510 2015 model where the layout would work for us. We are totally new to motorhomes. We've had a caravan in the past but are useless when it comes to practical mechanical know how. Are we mad to even consider it? I've been doing my homework and reading/watching a lot and am VERY aware that we would be far better off if we could do more practical jobs around the van. I would much prefer to wild camp or do tiny sites so am aware I need to learn a lot more about electrics/battery power etc. I fear we are total numpties but willing to learn!

The Chausson Flash is an excellent choice of van.

Many people have Motorhomes without any mechanical knowledge just like many car owners do. It may mean that occasionally you have to pay somebody to do work but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

You will however find loads of help on this forum if you hit problems and sometimes problems can be fixed without a lot of knowledge with a little guidance.

Best advice is take someone along who knows about m homes and mec stuff/ engines g boxes etc as there are many duff units being punted on at the moment, you could also ask before buying would they mind a garage dealing vans to have a look at it.

That would be a great idea but, sadly, we don't know anyone. I really hope we can find someone fairly local to Sheffield who can do servicing etc.

Great to know that the Chausson van is thought of well, it's not a manufacturer I'm familiar with so that's really good to hear.

You tell us that you've been a caravanner, and so you haven't that big a leap of faith to make.

We've a solar panel and don't watch much telly, preferring a sherbet whilst we play board or card games. So power is not an issue.

For us it's always about water. Whilst I can last four days when I travel solo, it's not possible when Yvonne comes with me. She uses far more water than me, and I've learned not to make smart a**se comments.

In the UK our compromise was to join a club and use CL/CS sites where water and grey/foul dump are usually included. Some really rural places remain incredibly cheap.

Migh
Might have been the 2015 model 510 I had . No problems with the vehicle or the company . Actually , after advice on here , went to their factory in France for a minor repair . Helpful company

Migh

Might have been the 2015 model 510 I had . No problems with the vehicle or the company . Actually , after advice on here , went to their factory in France for a minor repair . Helpful company
I wonder if it is. It’s in Glossop.
Good to know that it’s a reputable company with a decent reputation.

If it's any consolation, many of us started off as total numpties (some of us still are !!), but there is a wealth of knowledge locked away in this group and as the chief asker of truly stoopid questions I can vouch for that and most are more than ready to lend a hand too. So if you do take the plunge, come and join us and don't forget your corkscrew 🍷 🍷 🍷

I wonder if it is. It’s in Glossop.
Good to know that it’s a reputable company with a decent reputation.
Ah, good old Glossop Caravans !! We are in Glossop so if we can be of assistance, feel free

Ah, good old Glossop Caravans !! We are in Glossop so if we can be of assistance, feel free
That’s incredibly kind. We’re going to have a first look tomorrow.
Are they ok to buy from?

If it's any consolation, many of us started off as total numpties (some of us still are !!), but there is a wealth of knowledge locked away in this group and as the chief asker of truly stoopid questions I can vouch for that and most are more than ready to lend a hand too. So if you do take the plunge, come and join us and don't forget your corkscrew 🍷 🍷 🍷
That’s genuinely so good to hear.
I’ll definitely be there with the daft questions AND the corkscrew!

That’s incredibly kind. We’re going to have a first look tomorrow.
Are they ok to buy from?
They used to have a bit of a reputation, but over the last few years the Laing brothers have got their act together and developed a great following. But never having bought anything other than a few bits and pieces, which were ok, I can't comment, but as I said their reputation is now rather good, I suppose it's a suck it and see situation. But as ex tuggers you should know what to check out in the habitation side, but under the bonnet is the devils kingdom! So if it looks good, feels good and is just what you want go for it and then join this bunch of scoundrels

They used to have a bit of a reputation, but over the last few years the Laing brothers have got their act together and developed a great following. But never having bought anything other than a few bits and pieces, which were ok, I can't comment, but as I said their reputation is now rather good, I suppose it's a suck it and see situation. But as ex tuggers you should know what to check out in the habitation side, but under the bonnet is the devils kingdom! So if it looks good, feels good and is just what you want go for it and then join this bunch of scoundrels

Is Howard still the manager there ?

We bought our first " new " motorhome, a Adria Coral 680SL off them back in 2005 which was by far the best motohome we`ve ever owned and we wish we`d never traded it in at a different dealer for what we thought was an upgrade ............................................................ oh how we got that one wrong :mad:

Kept it for 18 months and put 12,000 miles on it, no rattles, nothing broke or fell off and it was as good the day we traded it in as the day we bought it (y)

This really.

For smaller, minor stuff doing some research on the internet and asking for advice on forums, will certainly help you plus if you have a modicum of common sense and DIY ability, that will help too.

I'll turn my hand to most small problems but I know my limitations and will always seek help/advice or then pay someone to do stuff, if I feel that I will be exceeding my abilities.

Is Howard still the manager there ?

We bought our first " new " motorhome, a Adria Coral 680SL off them back in 2005 which was by far the best motohome we`ve ever owned and we wish we`d never traded it in at a different dealer for what we thought was an upgrade ............................................................ oh how we got that one wrong :mad:

Kept it for 18 months and put 12,000 miles on it, no rattles, nothing broke or fell off and it was as good the day we traded it in as the day we bought it (y)
That’s really interesting we spoke with Howard today. We really really like the van. One owner from new. Some bodywork stuff they said they’d sort. And some money off.
Would you buy from them again then?

I use to have a Chausson 510 welcome.
I did this review and started this thread on here.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back