Total Novice

rupert said:
Billy, I can see where U R comong from, and as they say "if the cap fits":cool:
Best of luck ( I didn't mean that sarcasticly):cool:
The plus side is, lots of room & comfort, a better (higher) view.:cool:

Thanks for that mate. One thing to remember with having a big m/h is that over a certain length and weight you need a different licence. I'm ok as I have a class 1 C+E which is an articulated licence. In other words i'm covered for any length or weight of vehicle.

Me too

billy1000 said:
Thanks for that mate. One thing to remember with having a big m/h is that over a certain length and weight you need a different licence. I'm ok as I have a class 1 C+E which is an articulated licence. In other words i'm covered for any length or weight of vehicle.
Me too, that was why I knew where U were coming from!:cool:
The trouble is (a medical every year after age 65

Last edited:
rupert said:
Me too, that was why I knew where U were coming from!:cool:
The trouble is (a medical every year after age 65

One every five years after 45 then as you say one every year after 65 and we have to pay for that ourselves. Some firms contribute half.

billy1000 said:
One every five years after 45 then as you say one every year after 65 and we have to pay for that ourselves. Some firms contribute half.
you can find cheaper firms these days though,we can get a medical done for around £30,some people rip you off on the fee :mad: ......avoid like the plague...:)

***** said:
My Doctor charges around £90:eek: :eek:
OMG thats sooooooo expensive,the cheaper medicals started in shrews dr hill,he started doing it for £28 & oswestry (some places) started to follow suit cause everyone was going to shrews for it,suppose were quite lucky then :)

***** said:
My Doctor charges around £90:eek: :eek:
Edit:- I shouldn't have mentioned Doctors as I was trying to keep my mind off the nasty tests that I will be having later today!

oh its today *****,well good luck,hope alls ok....
we had some bad news last night...the doctor phoned me about my hubby you see he had a stroke a few weeks ago & lost some sight in his left eye when he went to the optician they told him he'd had a minor stroke,so he was sent to docs then referred for a ct scan for monday the 12th march,but as he has lost his balance a bit yesterday & his left arm is aching so we have to go for the ct scan at 2.45pm today i am off work now as i'm looking after him,iv been so worried at least this forum gives me something to take my mind off it :eek:

***** said:
I know exactly where U R coming from!:eek:
Please give Hubby my best regards & I wish everything go's well.:D :cool:
Tell him to take it easy & try not to worry too much. (I know easier said than done)
less stress is best,iv been trying to get him on this forum........he will soon im sure just too much going on at the moment,he needs to relax as his work is very stressfull (in a cold store transport office) anyway im gonna walk the doggit in a min,later graham and take care yourself good luck for today x x

sammclouis said:
less stress is best,iv been trying to get him on this forum........he will soon im sure just too much going on at the moment,he needs to relax as his work is very stressfull (in a cold store transport office) anyway im gonna walk the doggit in a min,later graham and take care yourself good luck for today x x

Samm, I had what they call a TIA a few years ago which is basically a mini stroke or a warning and hey told me to take one junior aspirin each day to let the blood flow easier by thinning it.

*****, recon the price you said is about normal nowadays. Last one I had which was 5 years ago was £73 and as i'm due one in August of this year I recon to pay about the £90 mark. Can't even claim it back on tax either.

billy1000 said:
Samm, I had what they call a TIA a few years ago which is basically a mini stroke or a warning and hey told me to take one junior aspirin each day to let the blood flow easier by thinning it.
yes i believe its called a tia,hows life been since that?? hubby started taking asprin and cholestrol reducing tabs,worried about today though,i hope he will be ok,he's older than me he's 54 i'm 32 so you can understand my concern :(

***** said:
Sam, just a light hearted comment. U say u r going to "walk the doggit"
Is that a new dance or are u going dogging?;) ;) :p :D
ha ha ha you never cease to make me smile graham :D but its a reference to walking the dog......THATS IT....HONEST.....:D :D :D

***** said:
Billy, I thought that U could claim back if a genuine working expense!:confused:
Is it that U cannot claim as not part of ur work or retired?:confused:

No, apparently you can claim if you are self employed but not on the books. Tried it last time and got knocked back. Same as self employed can claim for fuel and other costs for running between jobs, IE going to your depot and then being asked to use your own vehicle to go to another one, on the books you can't. Bit one sided like that the tax laws.

Last edited:
sammclouis said:
yes i believe its called a tia,hows life been since that?? hubby started taking asprin and cholestrol reducing tabs,worried about today though,i hope he will be ok,he's older than me he's 54 i'm 32 so you can understand my concern :(

I have been ok since then Samm, not as fit as I used to be but ok generally. I am the same age as your hubby, 55 in August so can understand probably more than most how he feels. I also suffer from Emphysema and a heart condition where the blood is pumped slowly round my body rather than at the correct rate. If I was a horse I recon they would shoot me ha ha. All he can do is take things a little slowly and keep taking those junior aspirins.

rupert said:
Billy, how do U go on with the HGV medical:confused:

Ok mate apparently. I reported it to DVLA and got a reply back from them that said my condition was not a hazard to other users. The Emphysema just makes you short of breath and with the blood pumping round my body too slow it can cause a dizzy spell occasionally but with warning so that did not affect it either. I also have arthritis of the spine and again this does not affect my driving. Uncomfortable at times but not dangerous.

billy1000 said:
I have been ok since then Samm, not as fit as I used to be but ok generally. I am the same age as your hubby, 55 in August so can understand probably more than most how he feels. I also suffer from Emphysema and a heart condition where the blood is pumped slowly round my body rather than at the correct rate. If I was a horse I recon they would shoot me ha ha. All he can do is take things a little slowly and keep taking those junior aspirins.
thanks for advise i really appreciate it,just got back from hospital,ct scan showed nothing conclusive so they gonna do a mri prob end of this wk or next wk,good news i suppose?? :confused:

sammclouis said:
thanks for advise i really appreciate it,just got back from hospital,ct scan showed nothing conclusive so they gonna do a mri prob end of this wk or next wk,good news i suppose?? :confused:

Can guarantee you an MRI scan will pick up ANY problems he may have and will set your mind at rest on a lot of other things. I was getting terrific pains in my back and as a heavy smoker at that time obviously thought the worst especially as my Father had died of lung cancer. You can't imagine the relief I felt when they said I had arthritis of the spine after my MRI:) .

billy1000 said:
Can guarantee you an MRI scan will pick up ANY problems he may have and will set your mind at rest on a lot of other things. I was getting terrific pains in my back and as a heavy smoker at that time obviously thought the worst especially as my Father had died of lung cancer. You can't imagine the relief I felt when they said I had arthritis of the spine after my MRI:) .
yes i can imagine billy,in a way it was good news...my hubby's mum died from a stroke,so its very scary....im sure he will be ok,i just need to de-stress him..:rolleyes:

Plenty of time away in the van Samm. Don't know if he likes sea fishing but to me getting on a boat and out of site of land is one of the most relaxing times I have ever had. Really helps you to chill.

Coming up

billy1000 said:
Ok mate apparently. I reported it to DVLA and got a reply back from them that said my condition was not a hazard to other users. The Emphysema just makes you short of breath and with the blood pumping round my body too slow it can cause a dizzy spell occasionally but with warning so that did not affect it either. I also have arthritis of the spine and again this does not affect my driving. Uncomfortable at times but not dangerous.
Billy, thanks for that, I was wondering as I may be coming into those type of problems:confused:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back