Total Novice

billy1000

I will soon (within two weeks) be buying a second hand motorhome. What I need to know is this.
1, Where is the best place to get insurance?
2, Has anyone had any use of a teleco automatic satellite dish and if so would you recomend them?
3, Motorhome I hope to get is a swift contiki 650T. Has anyone any views on these and thoughts of what could go wrong with them?
Thanks guys and girls.

Last edited:
insurance

Best to shop around,you tend to get quite a difference in price due to your personal details.Really depende on age ,several people told me to beware of early ones had problems with leaks.You bound to find some one on here ,who can give you some good advice.

Hi Billy
Go on the motorhome website list and do a search there is all the info you will need there also try posting on other sites as the motorhome community are a very friendly lot and have all the knowledge.
Rob

Looker...

I think the Swift Kontiki is one of the best looking MHs out there! We looked at a couple before purchasing our Apollo, the only reason we never purchased a Swift was because we preferred the layout in the Apollo.

Insurance

Welcome! There are loads of threads regarding insurance on here, we had good service from Lifesure of St.Neots 0870 366 1235 or info@lifesure.co.uk as a starting place, if you buy MMM there are pages of them and quite a few have free phone 0800 numbers of cheap/local rate calls so a lunch hour with a phone and a magazine gives you a very good starting point, some do well with Adrian Flux over Norwich way, they were good for me many years ago when I was struggling to get a kit car insured - let us know how you get on!

Insurance

Thanks for all the help so far. Nosha, I will certainly give lifesure a ring as i'm not too far from them. Will let you know how I get on. I am hoping to go fulltiming in mine and a lot of them that i've looked at so far would only do insurance for people with a fixed address or house owners.

We use Safeguard also and got an extra discount through being members of our Owners club.( Herald ) We have been with Safeguard for years and just renewed our policy, £453 fully comp with UK/ European breakdown for a 1995 Herald Templar.This includes £20 for legal protection and another fee for protected no claims.

Last edited:
if you are living in a rural location, it is worth giving the NFU a chance.
i did and I reckon so far it has saved me at least some 6 hundred quid over the last 6 years

roifromnwales said:
if you are living in a rural location, it is worth giving the NFU a chance.
i did and I reckon so far it has saved me at least some 6 hundred quid over the last 6 years

Tried NFU as you suggested and got a brilliant quote, not for the Kontiki but for a big American job. Thanks mate.

***** said:
Hi Billy, You must have a good look around everywhere. We toured all over looking for ours. The Kontiki is quite a popular m/h with good reports, however my preference although a little biased is Hymer as German quality. We went that route as we wanted a shower that can actually get wet without fear of water ingress. Up to now we have had no problems & have used the shower daily.
Regarding insurance, it depends on ur age. We are with Saga and it cost less than our car, It cost us £241 with legal protection.
Many insurers will give U the same no claim discount on the M/H as u have on ur car (running the 2 vehicles)
Anyway, have a good look around, check all documentation & do a HPI check b4 handing over any money.
Have a good test run & be sure b4 U commit urself as it will be harder to sell than buy.
Good luck

I have decided on an American m/h mainly for the following reason. With a Kontiki it only has a 2.5 engine and trying to tow a car that weighs 1.8tonnes plus the trailer it would mean I would be struggling up hills so I decided on a bigger engine job (6200cc diesel) to save all of that.

insurence

Hi billy I also use safeguard. Unlike some companys you get unlimited miles

cipro said:
Hi billy I also use safeguard. Unlike some companys you get unlimited miles

Is Safeguard part of the Swinton group? If it is they are the one's that quoted me £800.

Last edited:
I would give Adrian Flux a call too ,and see what quote they come up with

swinton group

billy1000 said:
Is Safeguard part of the Swinton group? If it is they are the one's that quoted me £800.

Safeguard say they are a division of the swinton group so possably means the same as PART as you said.

£330 I have just paid for £35000 cover on a cipro ci mh.

mh insurence is vastly different up and down the country as we all now rurel cover which i have coming from Shropshire is probably cheaper than city cover.However keep getting quotes for the best deal.PS cheap is,nt always
the best :D

cipro said:
Safeguard say they are a division of the swinton group so possably means the same as PART as you said.

£330 I have just paid for £35000 cover on a cipro ci mh.

mh insurence is vastly different up and down the country as we all now rurel cover which i have coming from Shropshire is probably cheaper than city cover.However keep getting quotes for the best deal.PS cheap is,nt always
the best :D
bit off subject here but where abouts in shrops are you if you dont mind me asking,im from gobowen near oswestry :)

Running Costs

billy1000 said:
I have decided on an American m/h mainly for the following reason. With a Kontiki it only has a 2.5 engine and trying to tow a car that weighs 1.8tonnes plus the trailer it would mean I would be struggling up hills so I decided on a bigger engine job (6200cc diesel) to save all of that.
Hi Billy,
I do not want to or have any intentions of piddling on your parade but have you considered the huge running costs associated with this type of vehicle.:eek:
Low MPG and expensive tyres & expensive & difficult to source spare parts. :eek: Lastly but not least, any future road pricing or road tax implications.:eek:
As I said, I do not intend to put a damper on your intentions, just hope you are aware of all the implications.:cool:
I realize that you are an ex HGV driver, therefore I trust that you are making an informed decision. Best of luck.:D :)

rupert said:
Hi Billy,
I do not want to or have any intentions of piddling on your parade but have you considered the huge running costs associated with this type of vehicle.:eek:
Low MPG and expensive tyres & expensive & difficult to source spare parts. :eek: Lastly but not least, any future road pricing or road tax implications.:eek:
As I said, I do not intend to put a damper on your intentions, just hope you are aware of all the implications.:cool:
I realize that you are an ex HGV driver, therefore I trust that you are making an informed decision. Best of luck.:D :)

I took all things into consideration and costs and the law were ate the top of my list. The cost of buying, running and maintaining and the legality of towing weights. If I were to tow a Ford Focus on an Ivor Williams twin wheel trailer it would weigh almost two tonnes. This would be too much weight for a Kontiki to tow. Appreciate your concern mate, I really do, but felt this was the only option. Besides it's a nice moter inside and out.:)

Ok

billy1000 said:
I took all things into consideration and costs and the law were ate the top of my list. The cost of buying, running and maintaining and the legality of towing weights. If I were to tow a Ford Focus on an Ivor Williams twin wheel trailer it would weigh almost two tonnes. This would be too much weight for a Kontiki to tow. Appreciate your concern mate, I really do, but felt this was the only option. Besides it's a nice moter inside and out.:)
Billy, I can see where U R comong from, and as they say "if the cap fits":cool:
Best of luck ( I didn't mean that sarcasticly):cool:
The plus side is, lots of room & comfort, a better (higher) view.:cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back