Toilets in campervans - advice please

orcadia

Free Member
We've got a campervan and have no shower or toilet. I'm keen to do some wild camping. I've seen some solar showers but am undecided what to do about toilets. It would be great to get some advice from those who've been there, so to say. Do we buy a Thetford? Where do we store it in the campervan (which has very limited storage)? And then there's the practicalities of using it..... Toilet tent pitched outside? But then that's not really unobtrusive wild camping... How do others solve this problem?

It all depends on the size/model of your campervan?
I have a LWB H2 Renault Master and I fitted the shower/loo room into its own room between the rear wheel boxes. The loo is a Thetford cassette which for the 2 of us can last 3 days between flush outs.
555.JPGB4.JPGloo-2.JPG

You can carry a stand alone (should that be sit alone :LOL: ) toilet which can be stored anywhere it fits when not in use.

You can carry a stand alone (should that be sit alone :LOL: ) toilet which can be stored anywhere it fits when not in use.
Thanks, that's a really useful link.

We have been wilding over the years although we do have a shower on board we never use it. Instead we carry one of the large plastic tubs used in gardens. We fill it with hot water and stand in it and have a strip wash. (Put a cover on the floor first.) we do not use large domestic towels the are to difficult to dry. You will find that a large dry flannel will dry you very well.
Empty the tub outside when finished and then use it for general storage.Job done.(By the way do not forget to draw the curtains van)

Thanks, that's a really useful link.

I think Romahome use the Porta Potti for their small campers which don't have a separate washroom, if they work as well as the bigger Thetford's that should be a good choice, but I've never had one.

I don't think that you need a shower to be clean. Just think of the space, water and energy that is needed for you to stand under running water. I agree that a strip wash is just as effective. We use public toilets as much as possible and for emergencies we have a porta potty qube for 'emergencies' and that fits under our fixed bed and takes up very little room.

Never go past a Macdonalds., without using their facilities..
You can extend the time between having to empty your cassette if you try not to pee in it all the time, ( Alternatives are available, if you use your imagination ), and use a detergent spray rather than flushing.

Never go past a Macdonalds., without using their facilities..
You can extend the time between having to empty your cassette if you try not to pee in it all the time, ( Alternatives are available, if you use your imagination ), and use a detergent spray rather than flushing.

Thanks, that's useful advice about using a detergent spray. I did laugh at the McDonalds comment though - we tend to visit the Highlands and rural areas of Scotland - not a lot of McD's to be found there. :cool:

A small porta potty as above post can be slipped under a seat/bed compartment with a curtain,say at rear of van,i have a toilet /wash room but no shower,we have a 12volt flip down unit with a waste pipe through floor to a underslung tank.

Attachments

• wast tank a.jpg
    wast tank a.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 139
  • new loo.jpg
    new loo.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 149
  • wash room.jpg
    wash room.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 124
In my Trooper, there is a dedicated cupboard under the sink that the smallest Porta Potti fits in. However, I needed the cupboard for my shoes so the Potti just sat on the floor with a cushion on top that had a "skirt". I used it as a footstool when sitting in the reversed passenger seat. At night it stayed there, ready for use.

The only downside was that I had to draw all the curtains if I wanted to use it in daytime.

The kitchen sink was a good size and easy for a strip wash. Again, with all curtains closed!

In my Trooper, there is a dedicated cupboard under the sink that the smallest Porta Potti fits in. However, I needed the cupboard for my shoes so the Potti just sat on the floor with a cushion on top that had a "skirt". I used it as a footstool when sitting in the reversed passenger seat. At night it stayed there, ready for use.

The only downside was that I had to draw all the curtains if I wanted to use it in daytime.

The kitchen sink was a good size and easy for a strip wash. Again, with all curtains closed!
didn't the sink plug leave an impression on your bum ?

i think a wee bucket should be a part of every motorhome to save cassette space . choose one with a comfortable rim ! and maybe a lid . i saw a porta potti fitted nicely into one of these Ikea boxes download.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back