Timing belt

Many years ago a boss of mine had a Vauxhaul Carlton estate. During my tenure at that company it broke two timing belts. Fortunately, in that engine, the pistons and valves did not interfere, so he would just glide to a halt at the roadside.
At the time i found it quite amusing.
I had the same experience in a Vauxhall Astra,travelling on the A1 in the nineties. No damage to engine.

Hi all .so.my 1994 fiat hymer b534 2.5 td has been stood for about 7 years ..due to the timing belt being sat on the same teeth that long I guess it's recommended to change it .
What's my chances of driving it 6.miles to a garage to do the work..without the belt breaking
I'm getting somebody out to my home to change the tyres before it goes for mot .
I have gradually worked.my way around getting things back up.to.View attachment 132922scratch
Well, how long is a piece of string? How old was the belt when it was laid up? How old was it, how many miles? No solution..
But i love the look of those older Hymers, classics one and all.

Dont get me started on the new idea "Wet belt" system.😵
I've read sorry stories of ford transit custom belts failing at under 35k miles, common issue until about 2019 ish i think when improvements were made.
Once again customers as victims of poor design and testing, nothing has changed. Remember the ford cortina? Whole industries grew and grew replacing back axles and camshafts, but they just carried on producing the cars with the same issues.
Back in the day my firm's car had both problems as did others in the fleet i was resposible for. And then there is the Ducato!

Never any probs with a real engine.
tuned skoda.png

Dont get me started on the new idea "Wet belt" system.😵
Guaranteed failure at half the time they say it will last, it fails they benefit, Ford Transits are known already for these gong rotten with the oil if you. Follow the oil change period and the pollutants in the dirty oil will destroy the materials they need to he oil changed far more often than the book says. Same with the cars.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:159)

number14, 1 Cup, Robmac, mistericeman, barryd, DTF, Tonybvi, Tim120, maingate, Fisherman, hmssnake, Bigshug, winks, JVG, TeamRienza, Canalsman, trevskoda, korky, amcjam, alcam, Alberto, RichardHelen262, campervanannie, Wooie1958, Topmast, andyjanet, clarkpeacock, mark61, merl, Tartarus, GMJ, Steve and Julie, ajb70, calvo, Del668, Moped, jacquigem, guerdeval, gypo, Heppy, AllanD, n brown, Neckender, BigD003, TJBi, ewen, pamjon, ricc, NSY, Rod, The laird, Jo001, RSD7a, kingfisher1, molly 2, exwindsurfer, Lefty, marchie, Silew, mick n jules, Gerry Attrick, jas900, granth, zzr1400tim, ChrisInNotts, vtwinner, GWAYGWAY, myvanwy, UFO, byron, barrypat, shortcircuit, Tezza33, CleverTrevorUK, Pudsey Bear, AndyJL, r4dent, helmit, campervan man, Adriafan, Victor, 1807truckman, Owlsnest56, 1977paul, Mark135, Mikecoo, TonyandJo, Mickrick, Gadabout2, Nigel L, Rob H, Wightman, Doddy6, VandA, wrp, roadroamer, alan1958, ironman, Servo, wildebus, longtoedsloth, WingNut, Motoroamer, CyderT1N, beegeew, Polar Bear, rambrose, colinm, Murgzie, Vivall, Glass man, jeffmossy, JQB, alwaysared, Cujimmy, QFour, MartinFife, Mandoman, Big yin, bnb080, Lioncrunch, Wully, lizard, yeoblade, Geoff C, davidjlambert, Carrerasax, rugbyken, mike w, Collieroos, hamsterberg27, Okta, jimmybanks41, Lindaforde, gemmat, gabby82, nitram, marchhare, Bheinn, Jiwawa, Moxyman, Elfit, Welshiron, Alf, motorwaycafe, rustydog, lindandave, rjmurchie, Thistle, kippaxblue, TimSands, CHAIRMAN, 2cv, Bouydog, saxonborg, petermotorhome, Martin P, witzend, prioryi,
Back