Timing belt

I'm sure that most timing belts are mileage related when in need of a change. Altho they are also recommended over time as well. As suggest on previous comments - if you have started it and it runs then thats the most stress it will have to endure! Drive it to the site if its close ish to you and dont over rev it. let it warm up 1st tho just to let the belt warm up!

Never even heard of such a stupid idea, chains may run in oil, but a belt needs to be dry they are also not in a sealed cover per se.

Interesting replies, thanks!
I have spent a lot of time researching the issue of belts breaking, and nearly always it seems to be on older, or more accurately, older day, vehicles. The exception is where the belt has been replaced and usually it is then quite soon after the job.
However, the motor trade has capitalised on the fear factor and created a huge aftermarket income source.
In my case, my wife’s Renault Mégane, cambelt broke within a day of the service, that was in 2002.
However, with my Fiat based motorhomes, and my 5 Ducati motorcycles, I have monitored rather than changed the belts over the last 15 years. The bikes do small mileages, therefore changing a belt every two years, as recommended, seems wasteful. It is quick to take the plastic cover off and examine the entire belt. So far they seem as good as the spare I have had in stock for some years.
For motorhomes, the distance is also very small, compared to the expected use of the base commercial vehicle, so also seems a wasteful exercise.
Finally, if age is the problem, why is that belts do not have a manufacture or use by date on them?

We have a chain on our Renault Master rather than a belt. At 130 odd thousand miles I'm wondering whether to get it changed.

The engine is running smoothly though with no untoward noises and the oil is changed when it should be so I wonder if it is an unnecessary expense? I do know people who say that they never need changing but as usual there are conflicting reports.

We have a chain on our Renault Master rather than a belt. At 130 odd thousand miles I'm wondering whether to get it changed.

The engine is running smoothly though with no untoward noises and the oil is changed when it should be so I wonder if it is an unnecessary expense? I do know people who say that they never need changing but as usual there are conflicting reports.

Blimey I've just Googled the cost of a timing chain for the Renault Master and it would seem that we do in fact have a belt! I was told by a mechanic when we bought the van that it was a chain!

I will ring the Renault dealers today!

My T5 is on its forth belt and not done 80k yet. Had a Doblo that I had done 120k and only one belt change. Fear factor does play a part. :confused:

The Ducato 2.2 is I think the Ford Puma engine (not the car) and has a chain.

Mine's a Renault Master Kev.

I'm even more confused now though. I've just rang the Renault service department and the girl who answered said that they have no timing belt listed for my registration so therefore it must be a chain. I've been on other parts provider sites though, typed in my registration and a timing belt kit is listed!

Mine's a Renault Master Kev.

I'm even more confused now though. I've just rang the Renault service department and the girl who answered said that they have no timing belt listed for my registration so therefore it must be a chain. I've been on other parts provider sites though, typed in my registration and a timing belt kit is listed!
Yeah I knew, just saying what mine was Rob

Renault :rolleyes: I bought one to convert, an 03 model, I needed advice from Renault, it was so confusing I sold the van and bought the Relay.

Yeah I knew, just saying what mine was Rob

Renault :rolleyes: I bought one to convert, an 03 model, I needed advice from Renault, it was so confusing I sold the van and bought the Relay.

I love the Renault Kev it's fantastic to drive - very car like.

But yes, the dealers and their advice are crap!

A quick Google search resulted in a BMW dealer suggesting chain replacement after as little as 40 000 miles and a Mercedes mechanic suggesting 400 000 miles!!! He even suggested that changing pistons would be more sensible than the chain !!
It will make a lot of noise to let you know when it needs attention.

I love the Renault Kev it's fantastic to drive - very car like.

But yes, the dealers and their advice are crap!
I ran one for courier work for a while, but it had suspension problems, cost me a fortune to fix, it seemed it'd been in some sort of crash and the aluminium parts had bent and cracked it had 11 months MOt too, it failed the next one and they said considering the mileage I'd done in the 11 months it's a wonder I was still alive, it was just about to fall apart.

I ran one for courier work for a while, but it had suspension problems, cost me a fortune to fix, it seemed it'd been in some sort of crash and the aluminium parts had bent and cracked it had 11 months MOt too, it failed the next one and they said considering the mileage I'd done in the 11 months it's a wonder I was still alive, it was just about to fall apart.

I think the 2010 onwards versions were better Kev.

One particular feature I like is the galvanised body, no signs of rust anywhere.

The only plus I see with the wet belt is, you get a warning when the belt is on the way out. A light will come on on the dash to tell you "Low oil pressure". I kid you not. The belt particles clog up the oil strainer.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:159)

number14, 1 Cup, Robmac, mistericeman, barryd, DTF, Tonybvi, Tim120, maingate, Fisherman, hmssnake, Bigshug, winks, JVG, TeamRienza, Canalsman, trevskoda, korky, amcjam, alcam, Alberto, RichardHelen262, campervanannie, Wooie1958, Topmast, andyjanet, clarkpeacock, mark61, merl, Tartarus, GMJ, Steve and Julie, ajb70, calvo, Del668, Moped, jacquigem, guerdeval, gypo, Heppy, AllanD, n brown, Neckender, BigD003, TJBi, ewen, pamjon, ricc, NSY, Rod, The laird, Jo001, RSD7a, kingfisher1, molly 2, exwindsurfer, Lefty, marchie, Silew, mick n jules, Gerry Attrick, jas900, granth, zzr1400tim, ChrisInNotts, vtwinner, GWAYGWAY, myvanwy, UFO, byron, barrypat, shortcircuit, Tezza33, CleverTrevorUK, Pudsey Bear, AndyJL, r4dent, helmit, campervan man, Adriafan, Victor, 1807truckman, Owlsnest56, 1977paul, Mark135, Mikecoo, TonyandJo, Mickrick, Gadabout2, Nigel L, Rob H, Wightman, Doddy6, VandA, wrp, roadroamer, alan1958, ironman, Servo, wildebus, longtoedsloth, WingNut, Motoroamer, CyderT1N, beegeew, Polar Bear, rambrose, colinm, Murgzie, Vivall, Glass man, jeffmossy, JQB, alwaysared, Cujimmy, QFour, MartinFife, Mandoman, Big yin, bnb080, Lioncrunch, Wully, lizard, yeoblade, Geoff C, davidjlambert, Carrerasax, rugbyken, mike w, Collieroos, hamsterberg27, Okta, jimmybanks41, Lindaforde, gemmat, gabby82, nitram, marchhare, Bheinn, Jiwawa, Moxyman, Elfit, Welshiron, Alf, motorwaycafe, rustydog, lindandave, rjmurchie, Thistle, kippaxblue, TimSands, CHAIRMAN, 2cv, Bouydog, saxonborg, petermotorhome, Martin P, witzend, prioryi,
Back