three home broadband

Not sure what you mean about missing a trick, my 3 Home WiFi is a landline/broadband replacement for me and works very well. If you don’t have a mobile that does wifi calling it wouldn’t be difficult to set up voip. I have only used the lan socket to connect to a laptop not connected a voip phone so can’t say if that would be all you need to do on the B311 or not.

my contract stated that ago Binge does NOT come out of the data package. Mine is totally unlimited (in UK) but is not a phone contract. There are several of us on here with the same thing
I took out a 3 unlimited contract recently, do you need another subscription for the router if you want to do away with landline broadband.?

Not sure what you mean about missing a trick, my 3 Home WiFi is a landline/broadband replacement for me and works very well. If you don’t have a mobile that does wifi calling it wouldn’t be difficult to set up voip. I have only used the lan socket to connect to a laptop not connected a voip phone so can’t say if that would be all you need to do on the B311 or not.

my contract stated that ago Binge does NOT come out of the data package. Mine is totally unlimited (in UK) but is not a phone contract. There are several of us on here with the same thing

As I said, Go Binge does not come out of the data allowance on Advanced contract plans, with at least 12 Gbyte allowance, in the UK.

Elsewhere in the world it does.

QED Go Binge is a UK only product. There is no such thing as Go Binge elsewhere in the world, despite Three's marketing. Be aware that:

"Some additional content, including adverts which are embedded in these services, may come out of your regular data
allowance "

It's all irrelevant if you have unlimited data already, as you do.

When using a mobile with WiFi calling your calls are made using whatever mobile contract you have. They are not free. You need a compatible mobile with WiFi calling capability (rare on Android), a mobile contract on a network that supports WiFi calling, you pay for your calls with that, and the 'phone number is that of the mobile. Having to leave WiFi turned on drains the battery.

It is not a substitute for a house 'phone setup with multiple handsets, unless you are a single person and carry your mobile with you at all times.

As with VOIP, you would require a separate contract with the VOIP supplier, buy extra kit, plug it together, configure it, and pay for your calls through them.

The trick that Three are missing is that Home Broadband is a data only package. It is not a substitute for a traditional landline phone/broadband package.

Whereas if they enabled the POTS connector, and supplied an unlimited phone call package as well as the data, it would be a true replacement.

Disconnect landline router. Plug house phones into POTS connector of new router. Cancel landline contract(s).

A straightforward product, one contract, one phone number, no user configuration needed, unpack, plug in, turn on. Anyone could manage that. Fixed price, no extra bills. Completely replacing the landline.

Attractive to anyone who doesn't want to commit to taking on a landline contract, or who has poor broadband speeds that would be transformed in a good mobile coverage area. Mobile people, students, rented properties on shorthold tenancies, static caravans, UK motorhomers and caravanners.

When travelling take it with you and set it up in your hotel room, motorhome, bedsit, b&b. campsite.

Operate just as if you were at home. Friends, business contacts just have one number to remember.

Package it into something like a Mifi with decent internal battery that also acts as a UPS during power cuts, external antenna connectors, maybe even incorporate a DECT base station to pair with your DECT house phones then you wouldn't even need to plug into the POTS connector or have household phone wiring. Supply optional DECT handsets with it ready paired, chargeable with micro USB or USB C, no cradles needed. Make them the long range sort.

Even offer a service to port your landline number across.

There are people already doing this for themselves on other forums, mostly using a B325 or a generic B311 with a Three unlimited everything phone SIM. The one Three supply is locked down with bespoke Three firmware, but otherwise capable, it still has the POTS connector on it, albeit disabled.

Three could block the use of phone SIMs in routers etc. but for the time being it seems they haven't.

I took out a 3 unlimited contract recently, do you need another subscription for the router if you want to do away with landline broadband.?

Yes. One contract for mobile phone (voice and data). A separate contract for home broadband (data only).

But in a good signal area you may find that turning on the WiFi hotspot on your mobile and tethering to it works very well. Not much use if other members of the household want to use it when you are out with the 'phone, or you want a permanent connection to other systems at home, even cabled.

Try it first. If it works well, a home broadband setup will work even better. If its marginal, then so might be the home broadband, or you might need external antennas.

I take it that was for your mobile Eric? if So not meant to replace wired broadband although if you have the right phones and contract you can tether to one with the others.

As I said, Go Binge does not come out of the data allowance on Advanced contract plans, with at least 12 Gbyte allowance, in the UK.

Elsewhere in the world it does.

QED Go Binge is a UK only product. There is no such thing as Go Binge elsewhere in the world, despite Three's marketing. Be aware that:

"Some additional content, including adverts which are embedded in these services, may come out of your regular data
allowance "

It's all irrelevant if you have unlimited data already, as you do.

When using a mobile with WiFi calling your calls are made using whatever mobile contract you have. They are not free. You need a compatible mobile with WiFi calling capability (rare on Android), a mobile contract on a network that supports WiFi calling, you pay for your calls with that, and the 'phone number is that of the mobile. Having to leave WiFi turned on drains the battery.

It is not a substitute for a house 'phone setup with multiple handsets, unless you are a single person and carry your mobile with you at all times.

As with VOIP, you would require a separate contract with the VOIP supplier, buy extra kit, plug it together, configure it, and pay for your calls through them.

The trick that Three are missing is that Home Broadband is a data only package. It is not a substitute for a traditional landline phone/broadband package.

Whereas if they enabled the POTS connector, and supplied an unlimited phone call package as well as the data, it would be a true replacement.

Disconnect landline router. Plug house phones into POTS connector of new router. Cancel landline contract(s).

A straightforward product, one contract, one phone number, no user configuration needed, unpack, plug in, turn on. Anyone could manage that. Fixed price, no extra bills. Completely replacing the landline.

Attractive to anyone who doesn't want to commit to taking on a landline contract, or who has poor broadband speeds that would be transformed in a good mobile coverage area. Mobile people, students, rented properties on shorthold tenancies, static caravans, UK motorhomers and caravanners.

When travelling take it with you and set it up in your hotel room, motorhome, bedsit, b&b. campsite.

Operate just as if you were at home. Friends, business contacts just have one number to remember.

Package it into something like a Mifi with decent internal battery that also acts as a UPS during power cuts, external antenna connectors, maybe even incorporate a DECT base station to pair with your DECT house phones then you wouldn't even need to plug into the POTS connector or have household phone wiring. Supply optional DECT handsets with it ready paired, chargeable with micro USB or USB C, no cradles needed. Make them the long range sort.

Even offer a service to port your landline number across.

There are people already doing this for themselves on other forums, mostly using a B325 or a generic B311 with a Three unlimited everything phone SIM. The one Three supply is locked down with bespoke Three firmware, but otherwise capable, it still has the POTS connector on it, albeit disabled.

Three could block the use of phone SIMs in routers etc. but for the time being it seems they haven't.

Thanks sharpie great post

Took your advice - ordered the three Huawei/AICubeB900 last week. Easy to install and control from app on mobile. Operated all my devices and smart TV no problem! Ditched BT saving £36 a month in the process and I will take it away in the Motorhome, bargain.

I take it that was for your mobile Eric? if So not meant to replace wired broadband although if you have the right phones and contract you can tether to one with the others.
Apologies Neil didn’t see you reply. It would work if I was at home with the phone all the time but that would be restrictive.

we were quoted several thousand to run a landline into our workshop office, weve all got mobile phones but wanted to access the internet on a couple of laptops. we use a tplink router with a 3 data sim, the 24gb sim costs about 40 quid and we use about 3 a year. router was about 70 quid. the laptops hardwired to the mobile router are significantly faster than neighbours computers on wifi and landline routers.

the wifes business still uses a landline but its days are numbered.

I have just subscribed to 3 and got one of these Huawei E5573bs-322 4G Mobile Wi-Fi - Discover - Three

Got it yesterday but sent it back immediately as there is no facility on these for a external antenna which make a huge difference when out and about in the van
That's quite normal now with Three. The Version you need is E5573s-320 that's the one with 2 x TS9 antenna sockets.

Hope this helps someone :)

After having it a few weeks I have noticed the wifi signal isn't very reliable in the very early hours of the morning for some reason.

What Devise are you talking about Faz ?

I have a B311 home wifi and I just unplug it and connect to 12v via cigar lighter, we get some really good reception and over the past 4 days its been brillient, may sound really silly but i could get wifi but not a phone singnal ?? very strange.

Kirby-Lonsdale at Devils Bridge 2 bars
Windermere 3 bars
Stoped at a campsite for showers ect in the middle of knowhere on a farm and got 3 bars
The only place i couldnt get anything was The Station Inn at the Ribblehead Viaduct

Last edited by a moderator:
may sound really silly but i could get wifi but not a phone signal ?? very strange.
No
3 explained to me that is because the data signal is on a different frequency than phone signals.
The only thing I've not been able to do since Feb when we started using 3 broadband is update my Garmin satnav and Garmin say in their FAQ's that its not possible with this type of broadband connection

Last edited:
hello all, recently bought a Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB secondhand from CEX. This has tethering/hotspot facility. I use a 3 'all you can eat' sim only plan for £20 a month, first 6 months £10 a month. So far it works very well in the van. It wirelessly connects to the iPad on which I watch TV, email, surf the net etc. Have to keep the phone plugged in during such use and I hang it up to keep it cool. Worked on 240v and on 12v supply from solar system. Occasional slowness or lack of signal; no apparent reason. Tried it at home and it easily ran my 32inch smart TV and laptop. Phone screen big enough to watch TV if needed. Easy for my arthritic old fingers to operate! My talktalk contract ends soon and I'm hoping to be courageous enough to get rid of the router, wires, landline phone and just use the phone with 3. I'll let you know.

I Like the sound of the 3 home broadband and will have another look at it when my contract(s) run out. I switched off my BT Internet a couple of weeks ago as an experiment. We have a MiFi with a vodaphone sim 100gb per month and both phones have 3 with 12gb of data. The only thing that happened Alexa stopped working and we have to move the Mi Fi around the house a bit. Other than that you wouldn’t notice the difference. Today 3 phoned and offered us to change to unlimited data for £1 a month each. After biting his hand off we now each pay £14 a month for unlimited data. I think it is now a no brainier to cancel my BT contract and all that it entails.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back