three home broadband

Anyone with Virgin. When we rang up to cancel our home broadband they immediately offered 1/2 price. So could be well worth doing even if you don't intend leaving.

I do that evey time my offer ends, the last time they said they were sorry to see me go but could not offer me any deal so I gave them 30 days notice, it was 29 days later when they called and asked if I had a new provider and I told them I was going to use a mifi with unlimited data, they offered me another 12 months at half price, you just have to be firm and have a back up plan:D

I do that evey time my offer ends, the last time they said they were sorry to see me go but could not offer me any deal so I gave them 30 days notice, it was 29 days later when they called and asked if I had a new provider and I told them I was going to use a mifi with unlimited data, they offered me another 12 months at half price, you just have to be firm and have a back up plan:D

That's right you have to shop around !

Is big brother listening

Reading the first link the Router has Alexa installed then today came across this if theres any truth in it who'd take Alexa home

But you bring an Alexa in to your house or always have Siri turned on, then you have more or less consented to being listened too. And who knows how much recording or for how long it is kept.

amazon-echo-alexa-evidence-murder-case. OK so in this case the authorities requested Alexa recordings to catch a killer, a good thing surely. But it just goes to show that Amazon is recording its customers.

Amazon ordered to give Alexa evidence in double murder case | The Independent

Daft questions alert! Would I be able to use broadband to watch terrestrial tv? I’m with virgin now - paying for broadband and a landline I hardly use. My tv is just the basic package, same as free view.

Also, would I be able to put the sim into a mifi or my iPad?

Daft questions alert! Would I be able to use broadband to watch terrestrial tv? I’m with virgin now - paying for broadband and a landline I hardly use. My tv is just the basic package, same as free view.

mobile broad band is just like any other broad band so what TV you watch now you'll be able to watch with it but not Virgin subscription TV
the sim will fit a mifi or ipad but if you get one of the routers that have been posted here you'd be able to connect the ipad to it and you won't need a mifi.

Don't forget their only for data and you'll have to have something else for voice calls

Last edited:
Ditched my landline with talktalk years ago. (About 3 yrs, I think)
I use the Huawei B310 in the house and take it with me on my travels.

I use it on a 12v lead in the camper. I have a permanent wire linked to the leisure battery and just unplug it from the 240v adapter in the house that came with it, and plug the unit into my lead into the van. (Make sure you get the + and - the right way around though.

You can only use up to 19GB/month abroad though.

I am using it right now, (to view these Forums and post) in the camper and I'm in Italy.

Has worked well in 20 countries.

It is also 40 times faster than my crap landline broadband with talktalk was. Your results may differ at home

For some reason though it always seems slower in Germany.

Since last year I usually get 4G.
Done 11 countries this year. No problem.

Can't see me ever going back to landline.

DISCLAIMER: I am sunburnt and have had alcohol. Sorry for any typos. I Had a nice dip in the nearby lake earlier though. ;-)

I don't watch tv, but there are some tv and audio streaming services available that come under the "go binge". Meaning you can watch as much as you like without detracting from your allowance. I have a 40 GB allowance whilst in the U.K. I watch Netflix and use Deezer.
Gets a little more complicated if you go abroad for extended periods of time though.

The second question.
No you can't use the SIM card in other devices, but why would you need to. Just connect to it as a any other router.
However, I also have a separate sim in my iPad, for if I need to take it with me out of the range of my camper and also as I'm usually away for an extended amount of time. I have a back up and am not limited to the 19GB whilst abroad.
I bought the 24GB card (again from 3) that can be used over 24 months. Although strangely, when you have this sim, you can only use 15GB in any month (and not the 19GB, with the router, abroad that is)

Hope that helps. If it doesn't I blame the alcohol;-)

It might do but the SIM card in my router is a different size to the one in my very old iPad or my phone.

BUT under their T&C your not supposed to. Just like you are not supposed to tether (I also have a 1 GB, data again from 3 in my phone). But I have tethered with both my iPhone and IPad (24GB/24months currently £60) accidentally. (Easily done on the Apple ecosystem. I did it with my Apple laptop, when I had switched off my router)
I try not to do it, just in case they block my sims.

Whilst we are on it. You are not supposed to use the router for more than any 2 months in a 12 month period abroad, but I have gone slightly over the 2 month period. (Shhhh) but they haven't been strict. The majority of my use is in the Uk

I don't want to encourage people to break the T&C. They may change their stance at any time.

DISCLAMER:
Apart from being even more drunk on strong German beer,
I don't indorse apple as they are money grabbing bar stewards ! ;-)

Reading the first link the Router has Alexa installed then today came across this if theres any truth in it who'd take Alexa home

Amazon ordered to give Alexa evidence in double murder case | The Independent

My parents bought me an alexia thingy for Xmas yr before last. It went straight on eBay.
The large corps not only store your personal info, but have even patented technology that assess your mood from the inflection in your voice. Feck that invasion into my privacy.

Just a note on voice calls, I use the home WiFi for voice calls, if your phone has WiFi calling just enable it.

Also with the three home WiFi you CAN tether to whatever you put the full size SIM card in the same as you can with any three Advanced contract. Thinking about it is it called Advanced, not the essential plans anyway :)

And then do you use the router number to receive calls?

No they just come through to my mobile as normal, had to use this at home for years over broadband as we didn’t get a good enough signal in most of the house

Recently discovered playing YouTube clips on to the TV from my iPad. TV is a smart one.
So question is if I had a mobile 3 router run off a 12 volt supply could the signal be used via IPad to a smart 12 volt Television ( small size one ).
Does a portable 12 volt TV with smart technology exist?
Cheers. David.
P.s we are Virgin media users also,so interested in the comments about saving money.

I have not seen a smart TV that is 12v but you can get a Lightening to HDMI adaptor and use that to use your ipad with a standard TV (as long as it has a HDMI input), there are cheaper ones than this but sometimes cheapest isn't best
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightning-...ocphy=1006606&hvtargid=pla-752952939291&psc=1

Thanks Tezza, That looks most interesting. However my IPad is the old version one IPad3 with that large flat plug in type. Hmm unless you mean the lead ( one you suggest ) plugs into the router and TV and then picks up the signal from the iPad?
Cheers.

I have no knowledge of 3 but have a similar set up with EE, one thing to consider is the outdoor antenna, if you’re travelling you will need omni directional mimo type unless you can pinpoint a transmitter, same applies at home for me so the number of transmitters you can ‘see’ the better, there are maps on the internet which will tell you where your local transmitters are, the more the better.

Currys do a JVC 24 inch smart tv that will work on 12 v you can watch utube direct of wifi with it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back