three home broadband

Currys do a JVC 24 inch smart tv that will work on 12 v you can watch utube direct of wifi with it

Hi Witzend, I went there on Thursday last week as I was looking to purchase one but for the life in me I couldn't find a adaptor for it to run on 12v so ended up somewhere else which turned out for the better as the one ii got has a DVD built in and a Arial. not unpack it yet so ……… Any thing can happen and usually does with me

Hi Witzend, I went there on Thursday last week as I was looking to purchase one but for the life in me I couldn't find a adaptor for it to run on 12v

Its not a dedicated 12v TV you need to remove the 240 to 12 brick to power it from 12

Heres the lead I got to connect my B311 to the vans 12v supply Ebay

Hi witzend, I have just ordered one of the B311 and the 12v lead you recommended, so can I just clarify that it can be used in the home and when your out and about you then plug it into your van. Do you need to mess with any of the settings.

Hi witzend, I have just ordered one of the B311 and the 12v lead you recommended, so can I just clarify that it can be used in the home and when your out and about you then plug it into your van. Do you need to mess with any of the settings.
No just plug an play. You have to insert code to what ever you are connecting to it with

Daft questions alert! Would I be able to use broadband to watch terrestrial tv? I’m with virgin now - paying for broadband and a landline I hardly use. My tv is just the basic package, same as free view.

Also, would I be able to put the sim into a mifi or my iPad?

I don't know if you can download the virgin media apps onto your I-pad, if you can then you can watch the majority of your channels through the app and you could then mirorcast ( think its called that ) to your tv, that's if your TV has this feature

Well, all done.
Smart TV connected to a 3 Home WI-fi but connected to the 12v system via a cigarette lighter fitting. Result. Thanks.

Switched it all on to set up and thought I would try and get onto Netflix, selected Grimm and ended up in the van for 3 hours :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've been with 3 for many years now mobile phone wise...
And with virgin media fibre for home Internet for even longer...
Virgins price has, slowly crept up to a point where I'm seriously considering swapping to 3 mobile WiFi instead...

Im thinking one of these...
Huawei B535 WebBox Review: Best 4G Broadband Router So Far

May be the way I go, as they seem to have the highest potential upload/download speeds, AND supports 5g
With an an additional external antenna on the van would give me the best chance of a signal wherever we end up
In fact I could probably leave it in the van parked outside and connect from the house.
Can they be used on 12v?

Can they be used on 12v?
Carol theres different routers spoken about here if you read thru the posts I believe they all will defiantly the B 310 & B311 will with the ebay lead I posted the one in the inital post will. But the b353 hasn't been confirmed ?? I read somewhere that 3 are doing a special at the moment 1/2 price for 6 mths on a £21 a month contract with the B311

Last edited:
Carol theres different routers spoken about here if you read thru the posts I believe they all will defiantly the B 310 & B311 will with the ebay lead I posted the one in the inital post will. But the b353 hasn't been confirmed ?? I read somewhere that 3 are doing a special at the moment 1/2 price for 6 mths on a £21 a month contract with the B311

Thanks so much for your helpful advice. I’m putting off activating a contract as I’ll have to give a month’s notice to Virgin and I’m dithering as it means I won’t have my normal tv access and I’m thinking off cancelling my landline. In the world of retirement these are momentous decisions! Plus I’m taking painkillers for my arthritic knee and I think they’re affecting my brain function! :)

Has anybody had any experience with the three home broadband? I am thinking about ditching virgin and signing up to three unlimited plan and was was wondering if it would also work in the motorhome for weekends away. I can't see why it wouldn't unless it is tied to your local transmitter. HUAWEI AI Cube | Huawei AI speaker with 4G router | Three
I have a Three, data only package, £11 per month for 20gig, which I use with a Huawei B315s router, and connected to 4g and 3g LTE MIMO outdoor Antenna on the roof of motorhome, it works great, and it is connected off the 12v battery. very easy to install, and has 4 ethernet outputs. we use this to run our CCTV so can always see MH.
have also brought it home when our virgin was playing up, also worked well
hope this helps

If planning to use abroad, be aware that you may be cut off or a surcharge imposed if Three detect that you are spending more time abroad than in the UK. Its explained in the Ts and Cs
To ensure all customers can benefit from Go Roam in Europe with roaming at no extra cost, we reserve the right to apply a surcharge in case of excessive use. In order to help us to detect possible abuse of Go Roam in Europe, we may monitor your usage and presence. We'll look at the balance of your roaming and domestic (UK) activity over 4 months, and if you spend the majority of your time abroad and consume more abroad than at home over the 4 months, we have the right to add a small surcharge to your continued roaming usage
Happened to my brother, bought the kit, used for 1 month in the UK, 6 weeks in Indonesia, 2 weeks back home, then after 1 month in France (he now has a long term contract there) he's been cut off. Not supposed to happen in EU, just an (unspecified) surcharge applied, but maybe it was the use in Indonesia that triggered the cut-off. He's going to try to persuade Three to re-instate him, if necessary with the surcharge. I'll let you know how that goes.

When it was working he was delighted, the supplied router was far more sensitive and faster than tethering to his mobile, he regularly had over 30 Mbit/sec when the phone had no signal. Also he was delighted to find that it let him access BBC Iplayer where VPNs failed. The data connection appears to originate within the UK. Don't know if this was a fluke.

He's pretty ticked off, having committed to the 24 month contract (that's £528).

In the EU your data is capped at 19 Gbyte/month, not unlimited. That's plenty used wisely, e.g. about 2.5 hours of Iplayer per day, or loads of web browsing, email, other lighter things. But don't expect to splurge on Netflix, YouTube, Amazon etc.

So if this is your primary usage you are not much better off than taking one of the say 20 Gbyte data SIMs, e.g. currently £25 on one month contract. Which you could just take out for a trip then cancel on return. Source your own hardware MiFi, router etc.

I would think if people want to download/stream lots of data and be abroad more than UK local SIM would be a better bet wouldn’t they?

netflix is part of go binge package so anything watched with that would not come off the 19Gb data you are allowed each month in the EU.

i have used mine only in the UK so far without problem

edit: unless there is an f1 gp on I don’t watch the box much at all. Watch odd bits on iPad or surface with Netflix in an evening now it’s getting dark earlier depending what’s going on. Mainly internet, messaging, calls, mail I would think for me

netflix is part of go binge package so anything watched with that would not come off the 19Gb data you are allowed each month in the EU.

No, Go Binge data comes out of the 19 Gbyte or less allowance when roaming. and counts towards surcharging or cutting you off if you break the (obscure and difficult to find) Ts and Cs. So it's not real when roaming despite what they say. It only works in the UK.

It's only a bonus for people on an "advanced" plan contract with a limited data allowance of at least 12 Gbytes who subscribe to the small range of services. There's nothing free available. I suspect Three might even be getting a kickback from them. Otherwise it's pointless. I costs them nought to do it, where they have the spare capacity it works, where they don't, it won't, paying customers will be prioritised.

E.g. I have a Three mobile contract with unlimited everything, calls, texts and data (they even state that you could use 1 Terabyte/month, no problems). So "Go Binge" is irrelevant to me. I tether to my mobile and it generally works well. Though a dedicated router would be much better. £18/month on rolling 1 month contract (I've been with them for years).

I've been using it for years all around Europe and being careful with my usage, never hit the data cap. Considering buying a Huawei B525 router and popping my SIM in, apparently the phone SIMs work in them.

The B525 has a connector for an ordinary landline phone, which you can use to make and receive phone calls using the mobile phone SIM as well. Or you can configure it as a SIP/VOIP phone using the infinite data instead.

Actually the router they supply in the package is capable of the same too, but Three in their wisdom have disabled it in their bespoke firmware. Missing a trick I think, if they offered a package that completely replaced home landline and broadband that would surely be more attractive. As it is even the unlimited everything phone contract is a few £ cheaper than the home broadband, and there are always offers, currently first six months half price.

Searching around for local SIMs at decent prices is a hassle, then registering them often requires proof of residence, maybe other ID checks, certainly in France. It's nothing like as easy as you might imagine if you haven't tried it.

Nothing like the UK where it is frankly ridiculous, anyone can just buy a disposable mobile for cash, a top-up card for cash, ten minutes later they are up and running, even roaming around the EU and further afield, our mobile rates are some of the lowest in the world, then get up to whatever dodgy activities. We are wide open, the networks don't care they just want the money, and it seems our legislators don't care either.

Not so elsewhere.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean about missing a trick, my 3 Home WiFi is a landline/broadband replacement for me and works very well. If you don’t have a mobile that does wifi calling it wouldn’t be difficult to set up voip. I have only used the lan socket to connect to a laptop not connected a voip phone so can’t say if that would be all you need to do on the B311 or not.

my contract stated that ago Binge does NOT come out of the data package. Mine is totally unlimited (in UK) but is not a phone contract. There are several of us on here with the same thing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back