three home broadband

I’ve been thinking the same. Could I cancel my tv then I wonder? I’d love to tell Virgin where to go!

Before you do anything ask your neighbours if any use 3 on phone etc. I am on 3 with a 24 month contract for my home Mifi. The signal strength has deteriorated over the last 6-9 months. It varies up and down. For instance this morning at 8 am my speeds were terrible so I did a speed test. I was only getting 2.4 mb upload and 7.5 download speeds. I am sure they power down the signal at off peak times. That is about 1/3 of the speed I normally get at busy times.

I don't have home broadband but have three unlimited on a mobile. The only time I have noticed it running slow is about a week before it is due for renewal. Never understood why they do that.

Yes we gave up our landline in February and changed to 3 unlimited and are using a Huweai B311 router which came with our contract with 3. We have used it all over France this year successfully using the vans 12v supply to power it. At home it works fine although we don't have a great phone signal but I was told by 3 that the router works on a different frequency for data than a phone uses and would be better and in our case it was correct noticing no difference to the home broad band. (It's not unlimited while using abroad)

Huawei B311 Wireless Router | Mobile Broadband | Three

Last edited:
I've been with 3 for 4 or 5 years now.

I understand that the unlimited data plan is for a phone, not a tablet/dongle or mifi.
3 call it "all you can eat plan"

I've got this plan for the phone.

I've also got a 3 data-only sim that I use in a usb dongle plugged into a netgear r7000 router, this gives me 100gb pm.

I've used them both extensively around Europe and am pleased that the performance is good.

Both plans, when outside the UK limit my data to 20gb pm each.

I have previously used the phone sim with unlimited data with a Samsung Galaxy Phablet (10" 4g tablet) which is detected by the network which issues a warning that the device is not allowed with this sim plan, which then cuts off internet.

I can also plug the phone into the laptop which allows usb tethering giving internet access to the laptop through the phone.

james

The unlimited data plan I've linked to will work in a MIFI or Mobile broad band router but not a phone

Thank you, I'm behind on their current deals.

Must see if I can get my data-only sim upgraded for unlimited.

james

Has anybody had any experience with the three home broadband? I am thinking about ditching virgin and signing up to three unlimited plan and was was wondering if it would also work in the motorhome for weekends away. I can't see why it wouldn't unless it is tied to your local transmitter. HUAWEI AI Cube | Huawei AI speaker with 4G router | Three

The only thing is this package says it requires mains power, it might run on 12 volts but also it might not so further investigation is required.

The only thing is this package says it requires mains power, it might run on 12 volts but also it might not so further investigation is required.

Found picture HERE that shows on bottom of unit 12v 2 amp input

s-l1600.jpg

went this very route in august now sitting top of the douro valley all systems fine , jan has an unlimited 3 contract on her phone at home (rural rutland ) she gets 3bar 3g signal the cube powered up and gave 4bar 4g same location , i tried to get a 12v feed from 3 worse than useless rang huawei said none available but tech guy said no reason one wouldn’t work after advice from several on here i cobbled together two leads that work just fine ,
connection has worked fine and signal strength stable wherever i have been through france & spain cube is in middle of van and can get connection outside from10 mts away & the kids love the alexa facility
ps i took out the 12 month contract at the time it was £20 for 24 months £25 for 12 months & because i am an existing customer & told him i was also looking at a vodaphone deal the upfront cost was wiped , i only took the 12 month deal because jan’s unlimited sim in her phone is on a loyalty deal she only pays £18 55 and well put that in the cube end of the year,
we have used netflix & now tv through the cube at home and around the uk though a chromecast with great success not tried it abroad yet but will soon

Last edited:
I've been with 3 for many years now mobile phone wise...
And with virgin media fibre for home Internet for even longer...
Virgins price has, slowly crept up to a point where I'm seriously considering swapping to 3 mobile WiFi instead...

Im thinking one of these...
Huawei B535 WebBox Review: Best 4G Broadband Router So Far

May be the way I go, as they seem to have the highest potential upload/download speeds, AND supports 5g
With an an additional external antenna on the van would give me the best chance of a signal wherever we end up
In fact I could probably leave it in the van parked outside and connect from the house.

Ditched virgin and went with 3 for home broadband 1 month ago It works fine. The Huawei router doesn't cover the property as good as the virgin one. We just take the sim out and put it in mobile router in the van and it works fine. Also got Samsung Tab from 3 and can take my 3 phone sim out which has unlimited data but no tethering and put it in the tab which also works fine and works as a phone also.

The virgin router would give me coverage in my garage the Huawei will not. Its also a weak signal in parts upstairs in the house and we have to have a repeater.

Last edited:
Anyone with Virgin. When we rang up to cancel our home broadband they immediately offered 1/2 price. So could be well worth doing even if you don't intend leaving.

Got it yesterday but sent it back immediately as there is no facility on these for a external antenna which make a huge difference when out and about in the van

With an an additional external antenna on the van would give me the best chance of a signal wherever we end up .

Before you buy the aerial give it a try first as when we got our first MIFI I considered one and didn't need it when we got the b311 it crossed my mine again we've had it a few months now and not found a need for one yet

went this very route in august i tried to get a 12v feed from 3 worse than useless rang huawei said none available but tech guy said no reason one wouldn’t work after advice from several on here i cobbled together two leads that work just fine ,

Heres the lead I got to connect my B311 to the vans 12v supply Ebay

I got the 3 home wifi totally unlimited fir £20 a month offer early this year with the same router as Witzend. Originally intended doing away with the landline (may still) but have had it running in the van most of the year. Got a £7 power stabiliser off Amazon so it stay at 12v all the time and it’s worked great.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back