This is crazy (work)

The lad states he is doing extra hours, but money stays the same, his words. Surely if he goes over his normal working day/weeks hours, he is paid overtime, at say time and a half??

I assume service stations are open for fuel purchases, and nothing else?
hi sounds like a no hours contract. should not be any. no hours contracts. ok.pj. ye-can-nee-whack-it.

The lad states he is doing extra hours, but money stays the same, his words. Surely if he goes over his normal working day/weeks hours, he is paid overtime, at say time and a half??

I assume service stations are open for fuel purchases, and nothing else?

I picked up on that too,I think he's just paid the same hourly rate regardless of how many hours he does,there are many people in different industries that are treated the same way, management attitude is,if you don't like it we will just replace you,and there's plenty of people that will jump at it.
This virus has really exposed how badly people are treated and paid in lower rung jobs,but my argument has always been that the lowliest positions are just as vital as management positions for a company to succeed,yet pay and conditions never reflect that.

@The laird : you get a big vote of thanks from me also.

Meanwhile, according to Jeff Taylor on YT, the road haulage industry is on the verge of collapse and won't be there when things return to normal. Jeff says that, while NHS and supermarket essentials are moving, there is little or no freight coming in for hauliers to haul, no non-essential businesses to generate or receive freight etc. etc. A large proportion of the industry comprises small business operating in a way that falls through the cracks in the government plans to maintain businesses through the crisis and are in danger of going bust. Jeff also mentions the same issue as Gordon -- maximum driver working hours have been temporarily increased, so drivers can work harder -- but they no longer have the opportunity to take a hot meal, loo break etc. because all the services have been shut down.

This problem occurs as most truck stop cafes etc. are private businesses themselves who've been ordered to shut. That said, perhaps filling stations should be required to keep their loos open for the use of hauliers and other essential workers. Perhaps portaloos could be placed in laybys? After all, they're no longer being used at festivals and I suspect the portaloo hire companies might welcome the business!

Yep, we are all wheels in the cog. Pay rates have certainly changed, I thought class 1 HGV drivers received a decent rate?

Some companies pay a decent rate,I'm a class 2 driver and have met class 1 drivers on a lot less than me,the biggest problem is so many people working through agencies,they aren't entitled to full rate for the first twelve weeks,then they get taken off and replaced by another driver for twelve weeks on the lower rate. Some companies just pay the bare minimum they can get away with for their permanent staff.

Tomorrow I’m away at the back of three,I have a copy of my letter for any sites not letting me use a toilet ,will be interesting as I forgot it today ,
rha road haulage association have asked me to take a photo of the site
postal address
site managers name
date
time
a photo if possible of the letter /notice on toilets stating not to be used
think things are going to have to change for front line workers as I think it goung to last a while yet from what I’m hearing through the grapevine
sorry for prattling on guys just I’m a bit ticked off getting refused again

When I was on the lorries I was paid for an average 60 hour week, plus double time for Sunday's. If I worked 70 or 80 hours tough, but then again if I got a standby day the money was still there. The only addition was overnight expenses, except on a ferry, because it came with a berth. I always thought that I was scum in the UK but wherever I went in Europe I was treated as a human being with coffee, toilets and showers available at any delivery.

Last Thursday I did a delivery from Huddersfield to the mc claren factory who are now making ventilators for the nhs and apart from having a wonderful trip on the nice quiet motorways, when I called at Toddington services that were very quiet
The toilets were open but they had locked every other toilet cubical and put a bag over every other urinal to keep people at a safe distance not that there were many other people at the services
R

Back in the days when I was working one of my biker colleagues was a Police Inspector (well I say biker, actually he rode an HD).

He went to a bike rally with his local chapter and the first evening, as is customary, they all settled down for a couple of cans. The next tent was full of guys on sports bikes who had a similar idea. The Harley guys went to bed at a reasonably hour, but the sports guys were still drinking & partying until the wee small hours. At about 5am my mate woke up desperate for a pee. But the toilets were a long way across the site and best avoided anyway. Then he had a flash of brilliance. The sports bikes were all parked there and a rather nice looking Blade had upswept exhausts. Problem solved. He went back to the tent and told the guys what he had done. He is a natural leader of men and they all followed his example.

Next morning the Harley guys were having breakfast when the owner of the Blade emerged looking worse for wear and wondering why all the old guys had started giggling. He had volunteered to get the bacon butties for his tent mates.

He put the keys in and hit the start button. My colleague, his mates, their breakfasts and their tent were in direct line of fire and got soaked.

Wales was the same every second cubicle etc not a problem at all with that great way to keep distance and hand wash

Back in the days when I was working one of my biker colleagues was a Police Inspector (well I say biker, actually he rode an HD).

He went to a bike rally with his local chapter and the first evening, as is customary, they all settled down for a couple of cans. The next tent was full of guys on sports bikes who had a similar idea. The Harley guys went to bed at a reasonably hour, but the sports guys were still drinking & partying until the wee small hours. At about 5am my mate woke up desperate for a pee. But the toilets were a long way across the site and best avoided anyway. Then he had a flash of brilliance. The sports bikes were all parked there and a rather nice looking Blade had upswept exhausts. Problem solved. He went back to the tent and told the guys what he had done. He is a natural leader of men and they all followed his example.

Next morning the Harley guys were having breakfast when the owner of the Blade emerged looking worse for wear and wondering why all the old guys had started giggling. He had volunteered to get the bacon butties for his tent mates.

He put the keys in and hit the start button. My colleague, his mates, their breakfasts and their tent were in direct line of fire and got soaked.

Poetic justice? 😉 😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back