thinking of air fryer

rugbyken

the oven in our van is part of a tower compilation so cannot be removed but it is not the best if you preheat and add 20% to your cooking times you can produce a reasonable result, but i’ve been thinking that with all the solar an air fryer may be a better solution , capacity varies from 1.5 ltr up to 12ltr and wattage from 750 -1800 so i’m thinking a 1000 w would not be too big a draw and 2.5ltr a reasonable size , at the moment our best piece of van kitchenware is the mr D thermal cooker but it takes preplanning the air fryer would seem to be a fast solution ? anyone an opinion

Last edited:
I'm a complete convert to our airfryer at home...
It's a tefal stirry type with 2 cooking zones...

Pretty much everything goes in there now, that used to go in the oven...
Faster
More efficient
And crisps stuff up a treat.

Not everything works in them BUT lots does

If I bought again I'd probably go for a, none stirring one with the, 2 large baskets to give, more flexibility... Though the stirring function does do fantastic chips etc,though anything like veggie burgers etc needs to go in the top or the, paddle just breaks them up.
We next to never use the conventional oven now.

We love our Ninja Air Fryer at home and use it all the time.

We plan to use the Remoska more in the van though, great bit of kit as most of you know. Then of course there is the Ridge Monkey for quick snacks, then....

Last edited:
the oven in our van is part of a tower compilation so cannot be removed but it is not the best if you preheat and add 20% to your cooking times you can produce a reasonable result, but i’ve been thinking that with all the solar an air fryer may be a better solution , capacity varies from 1.5 ltr up to 6.2 and wattage from 750 -1800 so i’m thinking a 1000 w would not be too big a draw and 2.5ltr a reasonable size , at the moment our best piece of van kitchenware is the mr D thermal cooker but it takes preplanning the air fryer would seem to be a fast solution ? anyone an opinion
I've had a small 1000W Air Fryer for a while but around a month ago upgraded to this much bigger one - https://amzn.to/3LUiEWx.

As a way to save power and time over a conventional oven, they are great. I've done the usual oven chips in them, but tried quite a few different things with the new one, such as hassleback roasties, toasted cheese sandwich, omlette, as well as battered chips, hash browns, etc.
I plugged in via a wattmeter and found the power use is pretty well the same for every meal oddly enough ... 500Wh give or take 10%. So with the inverter losses, you would reckon on taking 50Ah out the battery. Summer Solar in Portugal, you would easily put that much back in by lunchtime or early afternoon.

Will likely move the small Air Fryer into the Motorhome ...

does that mean they don’t have an initial surge like a kettle david don’t want to make my new 2000w inverter work too hard lots at around 1200w 2-3ltr capacity which should be enough for our needs

Not a fan of the thermal heaters as you post.
We NOW never use our built in gas oven as we use
1 Dutch "camp oven" rather than a remosks
having got it hot we turn the gas down to minimum and it cooks stews/casseroles in 30 mins
So a remoska substitute and more !
2 Ridge monkey which replaces the gas oven 95%

Air fryers have their advantages but we have no inverter so we cook very well as above
Given that you have an inverter and enough solar then an air fryer would be my choice to replace the thermal jobby

Please note we avoid eHU and so choose to cook accordingly and also only 1 solar panel
Horses for courses

The other day our old microwave stopped working, so today we went into Curry's looking for both a replacement microwave as well as possibly an air fryer. To cut a long story short we bought both in one!
We bought a Kenwood K30CIFS21 which is a combination microwave that not only has an air frying capability, but also has an infra-red grill and heaven knows what else.
Time will tell if we have made the right decision, but so far my cook is well pleased with my purchase.

does that mean they don’t have an initial surge like a kettle david don’t want to make my new 2000w inverter work too hard lots at around 1200w 2-3ltr capacity which should be enough for our needs
No surge that I have noticed. I know people say there is a surge and that there is a surge on Induction Hobs and Mircowaves but I've not seen surges on any of that stuff.
The Air Fryer I now have is quoted as 1400-1750W and not seen more than that. It did run as low as 60W when I tried dehydrating some apples (not sure how well that went - ran it for around 6 hours or so!)

But be aware that there IS preheating. becuase the space is so much smaller, the preheat is faster, but on my new one, it preheats for about 5 minutes before it gets to temp and tells you ready for food. (the ones that DON'T tell you to preheat still have to come up to temp even if they say no preheating - You would just end up having a longer cooking time).

Just while we are talking abuout these, I got a couple of extra things .....
These Racks - https://amzn.to/3LWMCZX - are good. Allows more stuff to cooked. chips in the bottom, fish on the rack say? it makes the top food get crispier.
Basket Liners - https://amzn.to/3E9UBkC. Good if cooking 'wetter' stuff (or even liquids). easier to pull the food out and keeps the baskets cleaner. I went for collapsible ones for extra flexibility. fixed height ones are a bit cheaper.

Our asda sells them they are flying out the door I bought a 900 w for £25 . Last one , cook's very fast , a cooks thermometer is useful for chicken and fish , But yes it is too small for 2 , dose great frozen chips in about half the oven time .

Last edited:
We bought a cheap one from Aldi (£30) but after 30 months the nonstick coating on the pan was flaking off, Aldi replaced it under warranty but that was two years ago and this one is also starting to flake, it has only been hand washed and never been abused with metal utensils, we love it so it will be replaced but with a Ninja this time, if you buy direct from Ninja they do a price guarantee and if you are over 55 you get 10% off

We bought a cheap one from Aldi (£30) but after 30 months the nonstick coating on the pan was flaking off, Aldi replaced it under warranty but that was two years ago and this one is also starting to flake, it has only been hand washed and never been abused with metal utensils, we love it so it will be replaced but with a Ninja this time, if you buy direct from Ninja they do a price guarantee and if you are over 55 you get 10% off

Dammit wish we'd bought ours direct Terry.

But then, they'd never have believed that I was over 55. 🤨

Costco has a decent mid sized one 3.6 litre. Worth it just for the warranty and free delivery

While staying on our son's drive and using his air fryer in the house (which we found to be brilliant) we went out and bought this one from Asda, its just about big enough for two and we've now tried it a couple of times in the van and like David said there didn't appear to be any surge. Diane doesn't wait for the heat up bit she puts the food in from the start which saves time and power and she also cooks stuff (frozen chips for example) early in the day when the lights good and then puts them back in later just to warm them up 👍 It took my batteries down from 100% to 94% but because it was in the early afternoon they recovered back to 100% in less than an hour. Being full time the main problem for us is finding somewhere to store it, so we will have a look and see if we end up keeping it :(
The Asda one I've linked to is 900 watts but I'm sure the only thing that determines the watts you require is your inverter, because I had a 500 watt kettle and then upgraded to a 1000 watt one and did an experiment by putting 1 litre of water in each one and timing them to see how long they took to boil and the 500 watt one took just over twice as long as the 1000 watt one so I assume that the 500 watt one on for 5 minutes uses the same power as the 1000 watt would in 2½ minutes :unsure:

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
We have a Tefal Actifry one that is 1400w and got it just before lockdown. It's been a game changer for us and we use it at least a couple of times a week when at home.

I can also recommend this book too for some easy, healthy recipes...

We have a Tower air fryer in MH and a Romoska. Took the oven out and fitted a drawer instead.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back