The Price of Processed

we have a similar area in Bristol . i once sat at an outside cafe watching a young mum feed her 1yr old with a Greggs pastie and a baby bottle full of coca cola while telling her mates how she broke a plastic comb and ''stabbed the bitch with the sharp bit ''

salt of the earth!

Proper food doesn't take that much longer to prepare, but a lot more satisfying knowing whats in (or not) in it. If you factor in shopping time, which is considerably less when not having to go down all the aisles looking for the junk food, then its an even bigger bonus (I dislike food shopping). Try reading Zoe Harcombes book, I found it a good read, and her diet worked for us, although due to health problems I let it slide, and have gained a lot of weight, and am finding it difficult to get fully back into, but our diet even now, is much better than before.

I think most areas have Greggs, now we have established that, shall we get back on topic. This is, after all not Jeremy Kyle :)

There is also Pink Slime but i left that out as it was dinner time

[video=youtube;jXJSmxi2buc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJSmxi2buc[/video]

Nicer clip for meal time
I have to correct you a bit here, The video posted relates to the US the UK has never allowed the bleaching of meat to bring it back for human consumption. I do believe the practice is now illegal in the uS

Overall I agree with your sentiments re food as others will testify. When you have children in the US whose life expectancy is 10 years less than their parents we have a problem,

Channa

On the dark choc theme, I buy the highest % I can find then I can only eat a small amount at once. Done the same with wine. I really don't like red wine, so a bottle can last nearly a week. Will have a look at that Zoe Harcomb book Sue, though my problem really is treats. Just one, but one of this that and the other.

BTW well done Greggbear, stick at it.

it was just a short clip to stimulate the chat. Apologies if you mistook it for a court submission. It was btw 8 separate facts.

But you are of course correct. Best we talk cochineal instead :)

I have a sort of long held dream to be able to walk down into village and buy fish fresh off the trawlers, take them back to the camper, fillet, cook (alfresco) and enjoy.

[video=youtube;EMwU7dEKYTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwU7dEKYTo[/video]

Really, could it be any quicker?

i've only recently started eating fish, never really fancied food you might choke to death on, and tried filleting a salmon which was , ironically, on the salmonella shelf in Tescos, £13 ta.
you need an extremely sharp knife, sharp enough to make you sweat a bit, and even after watching a Youtube instructional, i found the blade wandered a bit, leaving good size lumps on the spine, and even after filleting, there were some big bones that needed pliers to remove, and did a bit of damage to the meat. tried a cod after that, still struggling, so maybe i'll buy some sardines to practise a bit more, or just cook the gutted fish whole and scrape off the meat. oh, and all fish gets cooked outside the van/house on one of those cheapo gas rings

Last edited:
and if that whet your appetite, then here is another method

[video=youtube;0hvm8GE0ADA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hvm8GE0ADA[/video]

A 220g Mackerel from a High Street supermarket would be £1, from a Fishing Village buttons.

Breakfast in the camper (2).jpg

Breakfast is not a healthy but is quite an enjoyable part of the day

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back