Table Slide options

Nabsim

I want the main pedestal table in the van to be able to slide if it is something I can do without the need of too much skill. I have seen these pedestal table slider but at £300 they are about ten times more than I am wanting to pay. Has anyone seen anything similar as I think I did see something a few months ago but cant remember where?

I have seen on a self build where someone used sliding door tracks to make something but my version would probably fall apart with dinner on it so would prefer a 'manufactured' item if I go this way.

Here is the one I can find:
image.png

I want the main pedestal table in the van to be able to slide if it is something I can do without the need of too much skill. I have seen these pedestal table slider but at £300 they are about ten times more than I am wanting to pay. Has anyone seen anything similar as I think I did see something a few months ago but cant remember where?

I have seen on a self build where someone used sliding door tracks to make something but my version would probably fall apart with dinner on it so would prefer a 'manufactured' item if I go this way.

Here is the one I can find:
View attachment 67945
Is the reason for the slide to be able to manoeuvre around the seat and get in and out? Just wondering if you could do something like I have with my table ... fitted the post support mount offset into a corner area? With mine it means I rotate it to suit different seating positions and turn it out the way to get out the seat if using as a desk-type table.
Just a possible option?

Sliding drawer tracks would actually work but they only latch in a fully open or fully closed position - and inbetween it would be on the move all the time - so again, with those it depends if you want to move for access only or use in different positions?

Where it currently goes we either have it endways on at the end of the kitchen cupboard or sideways in line with bench seats. It is really a bit to close to one bench when used in one with the seats but table mount is as close to the edge as I would like to go when its used to extend kitchen.

If I could get a slide action it would be for when it is used in line with bench seats to get it centralised. Does that explain it better or am I making it more muddy? :)

One of the youtube channels I watch has just what you might like - Eric from Nomadic Fanatic. I really like the table setup he just fitted, but I do recall him saying it was not cheap! So you might have already seen something like that but at the £300 mark :(

decent drawer slides and a locking system would work for the amount of movement you need
the lock could be one of these screwing through a fixed nut Black Plastic Triangle Handle Knob Nut Screw Bolt For Honda Lawn Mower Machine Y 931922117821 | eBay to lock against the underneath of the table

Do you think drawer slides would be stronger enough Nigel, pedestal mount is in the last 'foot' at end of the table so already has the weight of the top and contents on it?

Ohh, now thats given the old grey cells a jolt. Those look similar to the runners we use for servers in racks and I think I may have some old ones in the office. Will have a look when I am back in next week. I am fairly sure they will hold normal weights on table as some of the old servers were rather porky weight wise :)

My Burstner came with a sliding table and as usual the table was far too big and was a nuisance. I removed it and fitted a smaller one with a short hinged section at one end so that it could be bigger for mealtimes. I bought a tabletop from IKEA which is heavy but I have lots of payload so it did not matter. I would expect the table frame from Burstner would be eyewateringly expensive but you might get something from a Caravan Breaker at a fraction of the cost.

I could not find the type of spring loaded hinges in the UK and had to order them from China. When they arrived they were not the same size so I just fitted one and used two wooden blocks to stiffen up the extension when raised. I ordered 2 that were too big anyway but it works OK with one big one.

My Burstner came with a sliding table and as usual the table was far too big and was a nuisance. I removed it and fitted a smaller one with a short hinged section at one end so that it could be bigger for mealtimes. I bought a tabletop from IKEA which is heavy but I have lots of payload so it did not matter. I would expect the table frame from Burstner would be eyewateringly expensive but you might get something from a Caravan Breaker at a fraction of the cost.

I could not find the type of spring loaded hinges in the UK and had to order them from China. When they arrived they were not the same size so I just fitted one and used two wooden blocks to stiffen up the extension when raised. I ordered 2 that were too big anyway but it works OK with one big one.

Was that a free standing slider similar to the one in my first post Jim or mounted on a rail? May have been a Burstner one I saw before, will have a google thanks :)

I got a circular coffee table off Freecycle, binned the legs and mounted the socket underneath and lo, we have a table that we can get past:wacko:

You can buy a slider from a company called Sea-screw, this is it, under £60 and has about 115mm of travel.7F8758A4-C930-444B-9397-A6334FDFA00C.gif

Was that a free standing slider similar to the one in my first post Jim or mounted on a rail? May have been a Burstner one I saw before, will have a google thanks :)

It is a 2 stage hydraulic leg with a square metal frame on top with sliders lengthways and across. The table section is bolted to the frame. I should have some pictures of the finished mod somewhere.

SAM_0354.jpgSAM_0355.jpgSAM_0356.jpg

That looks just the job, I have emailed them asking how the underside fits, do you know if it goes on a standard 70mm pedestal leg or not?

Guessing it does as it is shown with all the various type of table pedestals. I have a similar quandry to yourself, but I want to make my table smaller and be on a telescopic pedestal so that I can drop it down level with a fixed seat so that it gives a large comfotable travelling seat for our Golden Retriever. There are plenty of slides and air sprung/ electric pedestals about but horrendously expensive.

Guessing it does as it is shown with all the various type of table pedestals. I have a similar quandry to yourself, but I want to make my table smaller and be on a telescopic pedestal so that I can drop it down level with a fixed seat so that it gives a large comfotable travelling seat for our Golden Retriever. There are plenty of slides and air sprung/ electric pedestals about but horrendously expensive.

See what they reply with, if it takes round pedestal tube I will get one of those unless when they reply there is a reason not to, ours is just for a table either in or out. Will let you know :)

See what they reply with, if it takes round pedestal tube I will get one of those unless when they reply there is a reason not to, ours is just for a table either in or out. Will let you know :)

Did you ever get a reply?

The pedestal and slider arrangement you show in your first post is identical to ours in the Hobby.

Have you tried a caravan / motorhome breaker?

Cheers

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back