Struggling now with boredom

Came of the lathe looking great pity I have to colour the beech to match the rest of furniture
F5DB10D3-CA57-4536-A499-844ED4F666AD.jpeg

the Maquires DAS is pretty safe this time of year. By the time it gets dark, it will have done very little as so slow ;)
I had that model and is so tedious to use. Results - and how to use - vary dramatically depending on what your vehicle is. If you have a German vehicle, you will be there forever trying to cut through to a polish with a DAS. Bit quicker with a MOP. Got a Japanese car, a slight spin will get you a shine. Get it wrong and get a respray!
You should also know just how thick the paint before using a polisher. Remember what you are doing when polishing is REMOVING paint. That is how they work - they remove the oxidised top layer of either paint (if no clear coat) or cutting into the top lacquer if the vehicle has it (which it will if a metallic colour or most non-metallic newer cars). You go through the (very thin ) clear coat and you are screwed.
My VW T4 was fairly oxidised and it took ages with a MOP to get any kind of shine back (forget a DAS!)

VW T4 50:50
by David, on Flickr
But remember you are removing paint! This was in 'Freisan' which is a single flat colour with no clearcoat and you can see how a shine is brought back ....
MOP Pad by David, on Flickr

The results can be great through :D
Did my RAV4 (remember Japanese paint is VERY soft! I did the whole RAV4 in the same kind of time it took to do that VW bonnet and used finer compounds).
The RAV4 had nice paintwork when I bought it, but had the usual regular washing from a sponge and bucket...
View attachment 89180
bit of CAREFUL Machine Polishing ...
View attachment 89181
(I like Green cars :) )

If someone really wants to try a machine polisher of any type on their vehicle and have not used one before, then I highly recommend they go to https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ which is an excellent forum and advice source. There are also some free downloadable manuals on there on using both DAS and MOP machines.

Sorry to seem argumentative, but there is no such thing as a "safe to use" electric paint polisher if you don't know how to use it. Same as any power tool, you need to know how to use it, but in the case of a polisher, if you get it wrong, you haven't just snapped a drill bit, you've wrecked your paintwork and gone 1 step forward and 10 steps back.
You are quite right about caution when using any machine - surprising how many nice white motorhomes are actually yellow when you use a machine polishes it back to white quite nicely not easy but easier than doing by hand - and it is the sun that causes the problem - been using the farecla profile stage 3 uv wax and that discolours as well

Looks like rain has stopped play for today now

You are quite right about caution when using any machine - surprising how many nice white motorhomes are actually yellow when you use a machine polishes it back to white quite nicely not easy but easier than doing by hand - and it is the sun that causes the problem - been using the farecla profile stage 3 uv wax and that discolours as well

Looks like rain has stopped play for today now
Yup. Headlights as well - especially the Sevel ones from 2006-2014 - which go foggy due to sun. A machine polisher saves a lot of time fixing those as well (and actually is a lot safer than painted surfaces, so could be a good place to start for a new polisher owner maybe?)

That reminds of the episode of Derry Girls when they are trying to drive out of NI to avoid the Orangemen Marching (and left it a little late!)
Yep you have twigged on, a program i have not seen as yet apart from snippets.

I hope it was in good times rather than the bad old days, well almost. ;) welcome here any time.
Well, it was the first (and last) time I ever went fishing (in Loch Neagh). Hadn't been searched before by Police with machine guns going to the shops in Belfast. But some very good times going to the beach in Port Rush, and going to the various Bally's (Bally Castle, Ballygally and probably more :) ). New underwear needed after crossing the old rickerty rope bridge at Carrick-a-Rede :oops:

Even back then the Province was an interesting place to visit. Now it is a even better place to visit :D

Well, it was the first (and last) time I ever went fishing (in Loch Neagh). Hadn't been searched before by Police with machine guns going to the shops in Belfast. But some very good times going to the beach in Port Rush, and going to the various Bally's (Bally Castle, Ballygally and probably more :) ). New underwear needed after crossing the old rickerty rope bridge at Carrick-a-Rede :oops:

Even back then the Province was an interesting place to visit. Now it is a even better place to visit :D

I've spent some time in Ballgally.

Great in the bar in the hotel, especially when the locals brought the fiddles out and entertained us all night.

Got around outside of motorhome yesterday so it is clean today washed-polished and waxed car and hoovered inside then it started to rain but at least her car is done
So the boys old navara that he says is worthless whizzed around outside while it was spitting couldn't find any T cut so had some mer polish so used that - the whole outside has come up similar to the bonnet and only took an hour to get round it
DSCN2301.JPG

I was furloughed in April since then I've cleared the garage, built benches, fitted my grinders, wire wheel and bench drill, built troughs put up hanging baskets, built a bench and armchair for outside, got the two fountains working, stripped and rebuilt my racing bike, stripped my spare bike, washed the car twice, been to m y brothers workshop and rebuilt a Ford 4000 tractor engine that was stripped 27 years ago, that's now running, I've now taken voluntary redundancy due to big changes at work so seemed like the right time, I've got less than two years before my official retirement date.
You don't mention that you put your spare bike back together, is that still in bits?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back