Struggling now with boredom

What's a maguires mop? should I have one?
Woolie posted a link to what it kind of is (He actually posted a link to a DAS. A MOP (Machine Orbital Polisher is a different tool)

Should you have a MOP? I would say no, you should not if you don't know what they are.
If they are not used correctly, with the right products, they are a very quick way to have to give a few hundred quid to your local paint repair shop to fix the damage that they can create in the wrong hands/with wrong technique.

A DAS (as linked to) is much less dangerous, but can still create a goodly amount of paint damage for a determined bodger. They (the DAS) are also much slower then a MOP and can take forever with some paints to get a result. Due to the vibration, they also can for some people be very uncomfortable to use (they give me the 'white finger' effect after only about 5 minutes :( I much prefer the MOPs)
(can you tell I am not a DAS fan ;) )

You can buy slow speed electric mops for £40 and they work every bit as good, i have had one for 30 years.

Dont think I ever get bored. Im not one for doing jobs though, partly because my knees are so knackered and partly because i'm totally useless at anything practical. I have just fixed the light in the kitchen finally which has been on the blink for a year and a half. That should keep Mrs D happy for a few hours. :D

A ride out on the scooter, bit of time spent on here or elsewhere online, very occasionally I might do some work but the biggest waste of time for me is music. I can go in the studio / muso cave and its like a time warp. Four hours can go by in a heartbeat. If your bored, learn an instrument! Ive been at it decades now, ill let you know when Ive mastered it. 😬 Dont forget the Scotch or wine, its very important to the process.

Woolie posted a link to what it kind of is (He actually posted a link to a DAS. A MOP (Machine Orbital Polisher is a different tool)

Should you have a MOP? I would say no, you should not if you don't know what they are.
If they are not used correctly, with the right products, they are a very quick way to have to give a few hundred quid to your local paint repair shop to fix the damage that they can create in the wrong hands/with wrong technique.

A DAS (as linked to) is much less dangerous, but can still create a goodly amount of paint damage for a determined bodger. They (the DAS) are also much slower then a MOP and can take forever with some paints to get a result. Due to the vibration, they also can for some people be very uncomfortable to use (they give me the 'white finger' effect after only about 5 minutes :( I much prefer the MOPs)
(can you tell I am not a DAS fan ;) )
Blimey. Think I'll carry on using the broom with an old t shirt wrapped round it!

Every time i get half way through a job it gets dark and i have to force myself in to read here, and how good it is tooooooo.

Thats the one but it is not as dangerous as some believe - it is a soft start with different fixed speeds can also be used one handed - it is the cheaper mops based on angle grinder style that are dangerous and will do a lot of damage they are heavy and dangerous - and i do have an old 9in stayer polisher which can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands - so for me i am well happy with the meguires polisher but at nearly £300 it should be comfortable and safe to use

My cheap one is light and slow speed, a child could use it, my wife used to polish the cars here, just have to be careful at sharp panel edges or you could go through to primer, secret is keep the job wet.

The old heavy mops go back to the old days of cellulose paint for cutting back the orange peel or rejuvenating the paint - or worst case fine wet and dry and soap - anyway best get on with it suns shining now

Thats the one but it is not as dangerous as some believe - it is a soft start with different fixed speeds can also be used one handed - it is the cheaper mops based on angle grinder style that are dangerous and will do a lot of damage they are heavy and dangerous - and i do have an old 9in stayer polisher which can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands - so for me i am well happy with the meguires polisher but at nearly £300 it should be comfortable and safe to use
the Maquires DAS is pretty safe this time of year. By the time it gets dark, it will have done very little as so slow ;)
I had that model and is so tedious to use. Results - and how to use - vary dramatically depending on what your vehicle is. If you have a German vehicle, you will be there forever trying to cut through to a polish with a DAS. Bit quicker with a MOP. Got a Japanese car, a slight spin will get you a shine. Get it wrong and get a respray!
You should also know just how thick the paint before using a polisher. Remember what you are doing when polishing is REMOVING paint. That is how they work - they remove the oxidised top layer of either paint (if no clear coat) or cutting into the top lacquer if the vehicle has it (which it will if a metallic colour or most non-metallic newer cars). You go through the (very thin ) clear coat and you are screwed.
My VW T4 was fairly oxidised and it took ages with a MOP to get any kind of shine back (forget a DAS!)

VW T4 50:50
by David, on Flickr
But remember you are removing paint! This was in 'Freisan' which is a single flat colour with no clearcoat and you can see how a shine is brought back ....
MOP Pad by David, on Flickr

The results can be great through :D
Did my RAV4 (remember Japanese paint is VERY soft! I did the whole RAV4 in the same kind of time it took to do that VW bonnet and used finer compounds).
The RAV4 had nice paintwork when I bought it, but had the usual regular washing from a sponge and bucket...
1605697695542.png

bit of CAREFUL Machine Polishing ...
1605697740746.png

(I like Green cars :) )

If someone really wants to try a machine polisher of any type on their vehicle and have not used one before, then I highly recommend they go to https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ which is an excellent forum and advice source. There are also some free downloadable manuals on there on using both DAS and MOP machines.

Sorry to seem argumentative, but there is no such thing as a "safe to use" electric paint polisher if you don't know how to use it. Same as any power tool, you need to know how to use it, but in the case of a polisher, if you get it wrong, you haven't just snapped a drill bit, you've wrecked your paintwork and gone 1 step forward and 10 steps back.

Last edited:
No one here would buy a green car as there bad luck. ;)
I must say I detest metallic paint and never seen the point of it, a straight dark gray or blue is best, easy to match up and dont show the rust.
Thing with a light grey car is it looks like it is just Primer and waiting for a final coat :)
A nice dark gray metallic looks good.

I bet I wouldn't have had any Hitchhikers in NI with my RAV4 then? especially with the number plate :D

Drive like the Devil!
by David, on Flickr

Metalic is just more work and who cares cause you dont see the colour when inside, just vanity in my eyes, no hitch hikers here as you would not know which tribes car you would be getting into, may never get out alive. o_O green is not sold much here.

Metalic is just more work and who cares cause you dont see the colour when inside, just vanity in my eyes, no hitch hikers here as you would not know which tribes car you would be getting into, may never get out alive. o_O green is not sold much here.
That reminds of the episode of Derry Girls when they are trying to drive out of NI to avoid the Orangemen Marching (and left it a little late!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back