Stray carparks: Good news.

Some of us don't want anything at any price though, I'm quite happy to find my own parkups if the authorities will leave me alone. I don't want any services at all, that's why I built my bus to have everything I need. I don't want a piece of tarmac to park on, I'm happy wherever I can get. What I don't want is to feel like I'm being corralled into these parkups by the authorities, just so I am forced into paying for something I neither want or need....
I totally agree with your sentiments but found it harder and harder to do in a 30 foot long coachbuilt. It used to be much easier but those days have gone due to the huge rise in motorhome and campervan numbers. Combine this with the numbers causing many places to become out of bounds and the situation is rapidly becoming impossible.

It became rare for us to wild, we began to mostly use the C&CC THS Sites and the odd CS. This took away the freedom we once had and meant we had to make a plan and stick to it. :(

I totally agree with your sentiments but found it harder and harder to do in a 30 foot long coachbuilt. It used to be much easier but those days have gone due to the huge rise in motorhome and campervan numbers. Combine this with the numbers causing many places to become out of bounds and the situation is rapidly becoming impossible.

It became rare for us to wild, we began to mostly use the C&CC THS Sites and the odd CS. This took away the freedom we once had and meant we had to make a plan and stick to it. :(
We've managed great freedom using cs/CL sites on some of our trips....

Aim for a general area and then ring around if we fancy a site for some facilities....

Only time we've ever hit issues is when it's been raining like mad and grass pitches are rightly off limirlta

And that's the joy of free choice....

I never pay to, stop anywhere I'm not happy to pay the price asked...

No one is holding a gun against my head...
Folks want permission to stop in some places....
And some folks are happy to grant that permission 'for a price' of their choice,
IF it doesn't get used then the price will likely drop
IF it gets fully used it'll stay the same or go up,
Just supply and demand....
I agree with you. Supply and demand will determine the price. Hopefully it will come down but I won’t hold my breath

I’ve just seen a YouTube blog just put on tonight Roaming in Raymond motorhome adventure . Car park in Laugharne South Wales I believe they said you could not stay overnight before
But the local council I assume want to be seen to be motorhome friendly so you can now park overnight. They showed the new sign.

Excellent we all shout. Oh no it’s not. £30 a night on a car park. Words fail me other than. France here we come. Again

You'll be allowed to ovenight, but the bad news is that it will cost you.

View attachment 105834

Typical bl00dy Redcar and Cleveland.

Screen shot from mentioned you tube video:mad:. It's a bloody car park with no facilities
tempImageRdJhvF.png

If covid restrictions carry on easing, then t'other side of the Channel is definitely (and traditionally) more welcoming than the UK.

You can still wildcamp in large parts of the UK, but the pandemic combined with a rapid rise in camper/moho popularity the last two years is a double whammy. Things have changed, as Jim (maingate) has already pointed out.

Potential parking problems not necessarily restricted to how big or small your camper is either. 🤷‍♀️

Restrictions on the 'freedom' to drive where you want and park up overnight in a camper/moho have definitely increased since the pandemic, and especially so in tourist honeyspots.

CamPRA have been doing a grand job trying to persuade UK councils the length and breadth to accommodate and welcome campervans outside of official campsites, but it's a long, hard slog going up against entrenched attitudes and ignorance.

I don't want to travel somewhere wondering if there's going to be aggro with locals, or local officialdom, neither would I want to pay well over the odds to stay in an "official" spot, whether that be campsite or a public carpark.

Prefer to go where people easily accept mohos and campers parking up without batting an eyelid, because it's accepted as the norm. Where you are actually welcomed, not vilified or treated with suspicion. I don't want to be 'herded' into a designated area and then stung by badly thought out, 'profiteering' parking charges dreamt up by local UK councils who often don't show a great deal of imagination or forethought.

Europe it will have to be (y):) 🇪🇺

Just seen this on another site and hopefully be useful for someone.
FC8B60A6-00F8-48B4-8D70-09B098B45412.png
78B6C515-A68B-49BC-A54F-F3CA3AC04332.png
7168B839-6608-45C3-AC45-E83D4F2D1844.png

Just received this welcome message from Plymouth CC announcing an Aire for a trial period.
I am unable to visit and ascertain what is provided nor take pics as I'm currently in Spain. It would be appreciated if anyone local is able to do so...

"Following up on your email to Mike Artherton last year, I can now confirm that we have launched a Motorhome Parking facility in Coypool Park and Ride Car Park which will be used as a pilot for the summer to understand the need and appetite for such a scheme.

This will be free of charge for the period of the pilot and consists of 8 double length bays, with new signage, road markings, and CCTV.

I hope that this will be of interest to you"

Let's do what we can to make this a success !!

David

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back