Start engine or not?

MOJO

Free Member
Turn engine over? Best practice for our Euro 6 Merc engine? No driving just warm up. Someone advised that newer engines with a diesel particulate filter could clog up outweighing the benifits. Not a issue for older diesel engines.

Take it for a drive to your next essential shopping trip.

(Tin hat on lol)

No need for tin hats here, imho.
Neil took our van to do an essential shop a few days after lockdown and filled it up with diesel at Costco at the same time.

It really shouldn't be a problem if you're only using it to transport you to and from your essential local shopping trip and nothing else.

Mind you, that's on the proviso you are using some common sense! 😳 ;):cool:

Wouldn't start it up just for the sake of it, but also wouldn't be worried about just going a few miles in it. The DPF isn't going to block that quickly. Thats all my Euro6 has done last few weeks, handful of miles, I might have got up to 30MPH for 30 seconds :ROFLMAO:

The work van is a 2015 Euro5 Sprinter, all it does is get driven round town. Few miles to one job, few miles to next. DPF still not blocked.

I wouldn't bother how long do they sit in dealerships without turning over or moving.

Never mind dealerships.....
Some vehicles sit round at the factory/storage locations for a long long time....

I wouldn't worry about a few weeks....

article-1263548-08E83D6E000005DC-498_964x481.jpg

Unless taking it for a good 50 ml run best left where it is. Essential shopping should be closest supermarket

Nearest supermarket is over a mile from where we live.

Don't think it would be a good idea just now to go by bus.
Actually, thinking about it, can't remember when I last saw or heard a bus actually in service around here since lockdown? :unsure:
Don't think the taxis are operating either?

Could walk I suppose, if you're fit enough and prepare to lug a load of bags full of enough shopping to last you a week up a huge long steep bank on the way there and back.

No, I guess it will just have to be private transport of some sort.
If that happens to be a campervan, guess that'll have to do the job :)

Dont start it,remember 95% of wear is after the start up from cold,apart from it would take many miles to get the battery back up again,walk to the shops it will do you good. ;)

Buses still run through our village 3 times a day, not seen anyone on them for weeks now. Same with the trains that runs through next village, twice we waited at the barrier, again not a single person on the train.

Why they don't replace the 40 seater bus with an mini bus and reduce the three carriage train to a single carriage baffles me.

Buses still run through our village 3 times a day, not seen anyone on them for weeks now. Same with the trains that runs through next village, twice we waited at the barrier, again not a single person on the train.

Why they don't replace the 40 seater bus with an mini bus and reduce the three carriage train to a single carriage baffles me.

Probably because they have service obligations to fulfil...
And by the time the paperwork for that had been sorted and signed off things will have changed again.

I started a diesel engine today - not the campervan, we use that every other week to get the shopping. This engine was originally in a 1960's Commer tipper truck, then spent some years driving a timber winch, before being fitted into a cradle to drive my large rack timber saw bench fitted with a 5 ft yankee circular saw blade many years back. I hadn't used it for about 14 months, its a 6 cylinder Perkins - great engines. It was a little reluctant to start, taking maybe 30 seconds of almost running before coming out of hibernation and spewing its usual cloud of smoke on start-up, running a bit erratic for another minute before settling down to its sweet purring. No glow plugs or inlet pre-heat or easy-start. Amazing for an engine thats had a hard working life of about 55 years! The saw bench itself is probably over 150 years old, though I did modify it maybe 30 years ago to take a bigger blade than it was originally designed for and widened it to take much larger logs. It can cut planks up to 22 inch depth.
Early basic non-electronics diesels are amazingly reliable and economical.
I remember many years ago having a Fordson Super-Dexta tractor, which at the time had no battery. Living at the top of a hill it was easy enough to bump start it ( though embarrassing if you stalled it on the flat). I came to start it one morning, but the wheels just locked. The small drain hole in the exhaust manifold had blocked and rain had come down the silencer and filled 2 of the 3 cylinders causing a hydraulic lock. Took out the injectors, down the hill some more to blow out the water, injectors back in, and it immediately started and ran perfectly.

Dont start it,remember 95% of wear is after the start up from cold,apart from it would take many miles to get the battery back up again,walk to the shops it will do you good. ;)
trev there are one or two, running around here. and not going to super-mercados, ok markets. hope your ok, ok,pj. chin up.keep smiling

I started a diesel engine today - not the campervan, we use that every other week to get the shopping. This engine was originally in a 1960's Commer tipper truck, then spent some years driving a timber winch, before being fitted into a cradle to drive my large rack timber saw bench fitted with a 5 ft yankee circular saw blade many years back. I hadn't used it for about 14 months, its a 6 cylinder Perkins - great engines. It was a little reluctant to start, taking maybe 30 seconds of almost running before coming out of hibernation and spewing its usual cloud of smoke on start-up, running a bit erratic for another minute before settling down to its sweet purring. No glow plugs or inlet pre-heat or easy-start. Amazing for an engine thats had a hard working life of about 55 years! The saw bench itself is probably over 150 years old, though I did modify it maybe 30 years ago to take a bigger blade than it was originally designed for and widened it to take much larger logs. It can cut planks up to 22 inch depth.
I remember many years ago having a Fordson Super-Dexta tractor, which at the time had no battery. Living at the top of a hill it was easy enough to bump start it ( though embarrassing if you stalled it on the flat). I came to start it one morning, but the wheels just locked. The small drain hole in the exhaust manifold had blocked and rain had come down the silencer and filled 2 of the 3 cylinders causing a hydraulic lock. Took out the injectors, down the hill some more to blow out the water, injectors back in, and it immediately started and ran perfectly.
well made, not so to day, to many fancy thing atached. oh dont get me wrong, i like what i got. keep going,all the best, ok.pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back