Spreadsheets

I can do databases...but no advantage for me.
But as you say better and bigger than SS..In my former life I maintained a huge database..and also developed my own as the professional one did not do a particular job/jobs.

Never been i dept, never ran out of money, never owed a man a penny, bought everything with cash, never had HP except a Vw once which i just payed of after a few weeks, maybe im wrong. 🤔

Ditto except never had HP, but did have a mortgage for many years.

I downloaded this, thank you.

Just one thing, and of course it is your business but...

I would have thought that you would have removed your personal data before uploading it.

You might want to consider revisiting this.

As I say, your own busines of course.

Regards

Phill

Personal data has been amended a lot, but I left some examples with inveted values to illustrate use.

Excel can have some key advantages over options such as small Databases like MS Access. Portability and standalone operation is a key one (in my of my last jobs, to do cost estimations it was all Excel based - which was handy as individuals would all work independantly and then the spreadsheets would be combined to make summaries. In my 'domain' would sometimes have to have upto 30 spreadsheets, each with around 20 tabs - and there were other domains, some with nearly as many, others with less, but could be over 100 spreadsheets to roll together! (and there would be multiple iterations so this process repeated over and over for many months).
Used to take the Team Manager literally days to do all this until I put some VB Scripting in to automate it :) He'd just start it on his laptop and then come back a couple of hours later to get the results (y) I did work on a better replacement using Cognos, which was an amazing product but people too wedded to Excel :(
Later on moved dept for SLA reporting development work and it was all SQL DB stuff (this kind of thing probably explains my obsession with numbers and data!)

Spreadsheets everyone knows the only way forward is an Access relationship databaseo_O

I like Access but it is different beast to Excel. I use it to keep details of my friends and for producing xmas card lists and tables. I am a believer in complying with Third Normal Form, but I find that most times when people ask me to sort out their database TNF has not been incorporated.

I developed an access DB of over 1,000,000 entries to assist in the complete reorganisation of the Force, the ACC was so impressed that he bought me a bottle of single malt out of his own pocket. But even that resorted to Excel for graphic display.

I am a great believer in Third Normal Form, but I find that most times when people ask me to sort out their database TNF has not been incorporated.

Being a manual worker all my life cant do spread sheets life costs what it costs and you can always bump some gear at £100-£150 a day tax free

I like Access but it is different beast to Excel. I use it to keep details of my friends and for producing xmas card lists and tables. I am a believer in complying with Third Normal Form, but I find that most times when people ask me to sort out their database TNF has not been incorporated.

I developed an access DB of over 1,000,000 entries to assist in the complete reorganisation of the Force, the ACC was so impressed that he bought me a bottle of single malt out of his own pocket. But even that resorted to Excel for graphic display.

I am a great believer in Third Normal Form, but I find that most times when people ask me to sort out their database TNF has not been incorporated.

When I started my company in 2001 one of my first commissioned jobs was for a contact management Access database. You could probably do most of what it did in Outlook now but it was quite a good money spinner as I had all the old systems I put together from my old job back in the mid 90s. I had not done any development since about 1995 though so I had to reacquaint myself with it all. I just altered the fields and front end to suit and nocked a few out at around £700-£1000 a pop which wasnt bad money back then.

I am a great believer in Third Normal Form,

Just googled, makes sense :)

Wife uses Excel a fair bit, with big pivot tables and other such stuff I just can't get interested in lol. I've manually edited the odd macro, that's enough for me...

OP, fair enough, but not for me. I'm on holiday!

I have a Microsoft Money program that has my every transaction since 1996.
All in one file.

I use a spreadsheet (Libre office for free) for the solar panel readings. From 2012 to date. They paid for themselves two years ago. It is also a good indicator of what the weather was like for each year. This year, the second 1/4 was the best yet. (y)

Never been i dept, never ran out of money, never owed a man a penny, bought everything with cash, never had HP except a Vw once which i just payed of after a few weeks, maybe im wrong. 🤔
I was brought up with " if ye canny afford it dinny buy it" attitude. Had a mortgage once which I suppose is debt but every couple of months or so any spare cash went into the mortgage repayment until it was paid off.

Agree with Trev and Scotia.
I like to track my personal income/ expenditure anyway.
My trip logging includes costs as well as mileage gps etc.
Just been reviewing 2016 Scandinavia..
A fairly consistent £250 a week over 3 1/2 months
Not including uk based "yearly costs"
Useful for forward planning
Ps uk costs very similar !...more campcosts !

A fairly consistent £250 a week over 3 1/2 months.
In Aussie in our own camper over 2 years including flights we averaged £140/week between us. In SE.Asia over 6 months using accommodation we also averaged £140/week. But in both cases a fair proportion was on booze. In the UK it is just whatever it is we don't keep track, just live and enjoy! 👍

Re post no 14
To misquote Mark Twain
There are Lies, Damned Lies, and (government) Statistics !

I have spreadsheets which I have "designed myself"
However I found this one.
It can eassily be modified to suit individual needs and The calculations are already done
I have modified it for
A) Budget
B) Motorhome budget
C) Bank balances
D) Tax return
I am sure many aae capable of "doing their own"..BUT why re-invent the wheel ?

Next year I will use one for the motorhome which I have re-designed to use on a weekly basis
Sad but true....

I also use evernote and have a new idea to use it as a travel diary and a photo album
Traveel diary image
View attachment 89720

You can have 5 weeks in a given month

Photos
View attachment 89721
As you see a 3x3 grid but click on an image it expands ro full size (yes all 3 images are the same in my test
Evernote is free and you can view on 2 devices (Free) I like it because it synchs automatically thus a backup
PS my daily mileage and camp log will remain as a simple spreadsheet

What is Evernote? Please
evernote is a clever notebook
nested with tables in notes
and images...I use a table for "thumbnails" which can be expanded.
I use it on my Laptop and the data is synched/backed up to their server
Yo can also install an app and view and update via a smartphone/tablet app.
they havequite a few templates of which I am trialling 3 diary/date options
No calculations
i use the free version which gives me 2 devices

I have spreadsheets which I have "designed myself"
However I found this one.
It can eassily be modified to suit individual needs and The calculations are already done
I have modified it for
A) Budget
B) Motorhome budget
C) Bank balances
D) Tax return
I am sure many aae capable of "doing their own"..BUT why re-invent the wheel ?

Next year I will use one for the motorhome which I have re-designed to use on a weekly basis
Sad but true....

I also use evernote and have a new idea to use it as a travel diary and a photo album
Traveel diary image
View attachment 89720

You can have 5 weeks in a given month

Photos
View attachment 89721
As you see a 3x3 grid but click on an image it expands ro full size (yes all 3 images are the same in my test
Evernote is free and you can view on 2 devices (Free) I like it because it synchs automatically thus a backup
PS my daily mileage and camp log will remain as a simple spreadsheet

hi, try onenote, it has more capabilities than evernote, and isnt limited in terms of size - its free, and you can sync across any device - www.onenote.com . alternatively, polar steps is a great diary, pic album and route tracker - www.polarsteps.com

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back