Spain Re-Opens for Tourists

At present the ferries are conventional but they have invested heavily and their new ferries are to run on LPG and will be amongst the greenest on the cross channel run. As for the cost as I live in the West Country just add the cost, and time, of travelling to Dover and then back to our favourite area on the west coast of France to the Dover ferry cost and it isn’t far off the same. I have no connection with the company but they suit my requirements and having joined their regular travel club I find them as reasonable as any. However at present all of this talk of France and ferries is making me go into memories and gloomy mode again.....
I think they have one new ferry on the blocks and it is destined for the Caen route replacing the Normandie which is due to do the Le Havre run, despite its age.
I believe Portsmouth Ferryport will be carbon neutral in three years time, but not the ferries themselves as they sit in a berth with engines running. The area to the east of the port is the most heavily polluted on the island resulting in the council's proposal to have an emission zone for the city centre but, ironically not including the road to the Ferryport but everything to the south of it.

carbon neutral in three years time
Please call a spade a spade! Carbon and carbon dioxide are very different things. Carbon dioxide is an odourless, colourless gas that is heavier than air. Plants love it. Carbon is a black solid. It is not easy to convert carbon dioxide to carbon, or they would just bury it.

I thought if frontline staff tested clear they could carry on working. I am still confused! 🤪😁
I'd always thought that testing for front line staff was introduced to get them back to work if They thought they or a member of their family had symptoms and where taking 14 days off to Isolate. I still don't think any test results are quick enough to be used at borders as results aren't instant

Please call a spade a spade! Carbon and carbon dioxide are very different things. Carbon dioxide is an odourless, colourless gas that is heavier than air. Plants love it. Carbon is a black solid. It is not easy to convert carbon dioxide to carbon, or they would just bury it.
Sorry but I'm not a scientist. I'm merely quoting the council response to a query about the pollution and I assume they use the term as do most businesses that are looking to show how eco friendly they are. It is whatever is in exhaust fumes that I don't like.

Sorry but I'm not a scientist. I'm merely quoting the council response to a query about the pollution and I assume they use the term as do most businesses that are looking to show how eco friendly they are. It is whatever is in exhaust fumes that I don't like.
Sorry for being a bit blunt, it's a pet hate of mine. I don't like words being corrupted. I'm a miserable sod and would have liked to have been gay, but I can't even be proud of that now! ;)

Don’t get too excited about lpg ferries. This one is still rusting away at Port Glasgow having never been made to work, its sister ship rusting away half finished. £150m wasted.
I do wonder if they will still make a fuss about my gas bottle on the camper when they hopefully come into service. I traveled Liverpool to Dublin on the trucker ferry in a Toyota Yaris once. The lady politely asked if I had any camping gas appliances in the car to which I answered no. I boarded and was directed to a deck parking spot next to a large articulated lorry. The said lorry was the biggest Calor Gas transporter you have ever seen. I did have to smile.....

Ferry companies have strange ideas. I was delivering flares to the French air force in Bordeaux. Brittany Ferries wouldn't take me because the Royal Navy don't allow explosives to move in Portsmouth Harbour, apart from their own, and P&O in Dover wanted the explosive signs up, until the ships officer told me to take them off again so I didn't frighten the passengers. I carried live torpedoes on the Stavanger to Newcastle ferry and despite giving them the documents saying I had them and ancillary equipment I was asked if I had any weapons on board. Yet to carry 50 litres of peroxide to the Isle of Wight I had to catch the 3.00am ferry and only nine other people were allowed to sail.

The pessimist in me is thinking that once all this is sorted out there WILL be another lock down because the Virus has NOT gone away, we were as a Country too slow locking down and too early starting up again, hope I am wrong but we will see, a few more months off wait and see is all that is needed. Just look at your TV bulletins and see the hoards of people almost shoulder to shoulder on the beaches with the restrictions as they are now and we want further easing ? madness.

Carbon neutral is a commonly used term around the world,everyone knows what it means.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back