Spain/Portugal where are you?

your heading in the right direction chris your dogs will love La Isletta, we parked on the lower level and i went miles up the hills with molly she loved it,

I'm on a great Aire called Mikki's place just past Faro, near Perra. Weather fantastic for a change! Can anyone recommend any inland Portugal not to miss and not too far north?

Hi Carol-if you fancy a laugh, pop along to the chapel of bones in Evora - well worth a visit ! there's a smaller one in Faro too. if you go to Monchique, pop int thr fire station [bombieros] and ask to see their Cadillac fire engine.there's a nice road from Monchique to Aljezur, very nice quiet run,and the beach there, and Monte Clerigo are beautiful.there's an uphill road leading off the top left corner of Monte Clerigo car park that leads to a beautiful coast track that's well worth a drive along,then down the road to Sagres, calling at Carrapateira Praia, grass to park on next to a warm waist deep lagoon surrounding sand dunes - ooh wish we were there !

Inland Portugal

I'm on a great Aire called Mikki's place just past Faro, near Perra. Weather fantastic for a change! Can anyone recommend any inland Portugal not to miss and not too far north?

How far inland and in what direction ? Monchique has a couple of free spaces up at the observatory,great place on a clear day but not much up there just views. Also there is an Aire (commercial) in the village which I haven't stayed at but have heard good reviews,both are in the all the aires books. Further inland there are several Barragems The one at Nisa is great place and the town is nice also I believe there is an Aire at the walled town of Marvao next to a convent we went up there from the Barragem so didn't check out the stopover is quite high up so can be a bit chilly this time of year,still worth a look though. As I said in an earlier post the Aire at Rodeo is a nice spot as well. Barragem do divor is one of our favorites but no services only a water tap on the way in.

Hi, the above sounds great....if you like quaint little fishing villages then Alvor is lovely. There's an Aires right on the front with basic services and shower for a euro nearby. Next to that is €4-50 parking or €7-50 with ehu, all can be muddy in rain but weather better now ! Camping Alvor up the road very busy. All this might be on Admins poi's...maja

The lagoons look a bit slimy, bars? Been to 90cents a pint one and "Albar" for locals. All others quiet at this time of year! The decked walkways over nature reserves are great though. Maja

Silves is an interesting town and not too far north of you. Lots of history, good grub and the chance of a boat ride down the River Arade to Portimao.. Service bus back through the villages.
North to the dams at Arade and Funchao... Often used by a group of solo wildcampers.

Take it all your electrics are working well?

Palace and cathedral at MAFRA, north of Lisbon.
Google it.
The Convento at TOMAR.
Google that, too.
Look at them,then wonder where the money came from,then ask where the money went.

Fatima, south of Leiria, is the Portugese Lourdes. We were quite stunned by it - the silence. And, Sintra if you are in to palaces and castles and Ginja in chocolate cups. Talking about chocolate Obidos has a chocolate festival March/April it is a pretty, but touristy, walled town (village) there is motorhome parking too! All of thes are just north of Lisbon.

Last edited:
If you visit Cape Saint Vincent as far S W as you can go theres the light house and the Fort at Sagress with plenty of free parking to visit and don,t forget Faro Beach out by the airport free there to

Last edited:
Cadiz

Been slowly progressing along the coast from Fuengirola, stayed longer at Tarifa than planned (food poisoning), but now weather improving with daily sun albeit a chill in the wind.
Cadiz is nice, we are in a bar Opp the Cathedral.

Off to Rona, to find a nice stop tonight.

Still intend to go to Cullera, on way back, but weather may entice us into Portugal.

Spent last night at La Isleta ... nice spot.

Found VWAlan already there and we enjoyed a beer together :D

Tonight I am at Aguadulce where I have found an excellent car park right by the prom and the beach. And there's a tap ...

This will be in the next POI release, along with many new places I have identified.

Silves is an interesting town and not too far north of you. Lots of history, good grub and the chance of a boat ride down the River Arade to Portimao.. Service bus back through the villages.
North to the dams at Arade and Funchao... Often used by a group of solo wildcampers.

Take it all your electrics are working well?

Seems so, Paul. I keep testing my wipers as I'm driving, just in case! Think I'm going to be needing them tomorrow by the sounds of things! Weather forecast sounds bad. Thanks for the tips. I wild camped somewhere in Tomar years ago but no idea where.

On Gibralter having overnighted here, was advised by a nice man in blue at the border crossing that it would be safer. Currently at the top of the rock, amazing views, glad to have got here in sunshine and before the rain comes tomorrow

If you get chance, ( don't go out of your way, please), can you call into a pharmacy,as you cruise through the shopping streets.
We need to know if we will be able to pick up, over the counter, these tablets.
They are known by various names.

BOLAMYN SR 500Mg

DIAGEMET XL 500 Mg

GLUCIENT SR. 500Mg

GLUCOPHAGE SR 500Mg.

Or similar..

Just a simple yes or no answer is all we require.
Enjoy your visit.. You can always go into the caverns,if it rains.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back