SOS Shelter needed

just a thought SUE (daisymini) could you put out a call for a barn or shelter in your area on facebook or gumtree etc. how about a request on the local radio station someone is bound to have something in your area........and NZ seems more than willing to travel and help....bless him..

do wish you good luck in getting it sorted sue.........take care....trixie

Hi folks this is request for help, my van is leaking like sieve it's a 1995 Mercedes ambulance fibreglass built, and the seams have started to fail allowing our lovely British weather ( rain) to invite itself inside!!!

I'm asking if anybody has a barn or unit I could rent for at least a week to repair the seals. And also if anybody could offer the manpower to help me do this. Those of you who know me know that if I could do this myself I would, but sadly this is beyond my ability.

I don't intend attempting this before the new year as it's a busy time for us all and a few more leaks between now and then is not going to make much difference!

I'm Cheshire based but with the right offer of help I'll happily travel..

Thanks. :help:

My heart goes out to you wish there was something I could do. Its awful having to sit helpless and watch I can fully sympathise. Hope you get sorted before any lasting damage is done:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

thinking out of the box cud u look up the weather and see if here is somewhere close by which is/will be drier than where you are now? you could drive there overnight maybe

Just looked at the forecast and frost should not be a problem from Wednesday onwards. Hope that you get this sorted soon.

thinking out of the box cud u look up the weather and see if here is somewhere close by which is/will be drier than where you are now? you could drive there overnight maybe

I have tried, and Martlet who is one of our members took me to a possible location recently but sadly they haven't got back to me. My problem is not only location but the fact I'm asking for help to do it for me as I cannot do it myself.
It's a relatively simple job albeit time consuming that if I was physically able I wouldn't need to ask for help and I would enjoy doing.

Nothing in life is free....and I do not expect free gratis for the work..x

So warmed ...

We do not have the problem that Sue has and cannot help - in Portugal. So warmed by the warmth of support, advice and offers of help members have offered. Wild campers - you do yourself proud.
Sue sure it will be sorted soo. X

We do not have the problem that Sue has and cannot help - in Portugal. So warmed by the warmth of support, advice and offers of help members have offered. Wild campers - you do yourself proud.
Sue sure it will be sorted soo. X

& Thank you to The owner of this site, Providing us ALL with the Platform to Help & Be Helped. Seriously.

Now where's the Donuts !.

Yeah Have to say I use Stixall a fair bit where Mechanical Fixings can't be used or are at best 'Suspect'
I'm also a HUGE fan of Puraflex,,love it love it love it.

To be perfectly honest, I would use a fibreglass repair kit (or several) as they are easy to work with, albeit a little messy, are unaffected by frost and weather.

All you'd need is to paint a little of the adhesive over an affected area then apply a layer of glass cloth, repaint with adhesive, doing this you build up a few layers until it is as thick and strong as you require. For sealing leaks at seams, you probably wouldn't even need the glass cloth, just hand paint it with a generous layer of the adhesive working it well into the joints. I've used the stuff to repair kayaks in the past and weather wasn't a problem as long as the surface is dry when you apply it then it can do what it likes after it's on, dries to the touch in a matter of a few hours and is fully proofed after 24 hours.

Probably be best to scrub with a very stiff, or wire brush before trying to seal the joints first.

Unfortunately, me being just outside Perth doesn't help you at all, but in an emergency you could erect a small contraption to work under as the work is undertaken a bit at a time ... at least that's what I'd do. It kinda depends on the size of your van as well, if it was a small van it would go under my nephew's carport but a bigger van won't fit. I often do work under flyovers (A9 usually) if the rain is preventing me from getting on with a job.

As a temporary measure, even just getting some gaffer tape along the seams will help reduce the water ingress to an extent.

Last edited:
To be fair, until someone actually sees what the problem or issues are, it's difficult to advise on a repair, I have to say though a Fiberglass Repair kit is the LAST thing I would use IF it's an Expansion Joint or Seem that has failed !. I would want Something more Flexible in that scenario. But you may be right ofcourse !. It's surely a case of seeing what's therev& what's failed in my view

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, until someone actually sees what the problem or issues are, it's difficult to advise on a repair, I have to say though a Fiberglass Repair kit is the LAST thing I would use IF it's an Expansion Joint or Seem that has failed !. I would want Something more Flexible in that scenario. But you may be right !.

Good point ... never considered that.

fiberglass

Dont forget to dill the holes to stop it in it's track.
Toolstation or screwfix do very large blue tarps 7m x3m

if you can see where there is a crack on the exterior of the van can you tape it ? i have had some tape over a hairline crack for months and months now and it stopped the water ingress - i managed to do it myself by driving the van right up to a picnic table in a sheltered little CR parking spot so that i could stand on the table and tape it up .... i guess i startled an elderly dog walker - but we soon got chatting.....

Hi Sue,
Sorry I can't help with a barn, but from our experience on fibre glass boats I would be very careful to get the right sealant, because it can be a sod to get out if you choose the wrong one and it still leaks. The type I have used satisfactorily is a polyurethane one like this Bond-It PU18 White - High Strength Polyurethane Adhesive & Sealant EU3 Cartridge - Seals & bonds in engineering, construction, automotive & marine applications elastic characteristics make it suitable for vibrating environments: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & T

Plastic

Hi Sue I have just seen this thread. What I have got is a couple of very light pvc dust sheets. They are very weak but cover a big area. Once on and fastend down with tape or something I think they will stop the ingress temporary while the job needing doing is inspected. That will give you time to get the materials for doing the job. I will come over and put the dust sheets over for you.
.... Tom ....

Helping those who would help.

Good morning Sue,

I would go for the temporary gaffer tape fix, to keep the water out until the sunshine returns. Then do a proper fix.

There are several members within easy distance of your current location who probably wish to help, but on the forum your location is given as Cleethorpes, which may be deterring those helpful souls who reside not too far from the present location of your van. Might be worthwhile telling people where the van is at the moment.

Count me in as a volunteer helper once you have determined a venue for the fixing.

Regards,
Martlet

Sue- might be cheaper to get another van,this is going to cost a fortune in doughnuts !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back