So now will they stop blaming motorhomes?

Marie two years ago my wife and I spent an awful night in Musselburgh fisherrow carpark. We had water bombs thrown at our van, louts were cursing and swearing on the beech, dog mess was everywhere, the toilets had been messed up, taps left running, loud music till midnight. When we got up next morning the beech was covered with litter. My wife said she did not want to go back there anymore, and on chatting with the couple on the other Moho that morning they said the same. A month later up went barriers and signs. I am optimistic like yourself, but nothing in this country would shock me.

Are the barriers height barriers, specifically to prevent mohos?
Or are they general barriers where the car park is locked after a certain time at night?
If it's just height barriers then it won't have solved the problem at all 🤷‍♀️

Surely the local councils must know that it is local yobs causing the mess and destruction?

Never forget that an awful lot of councils are run by exactly the same types that went viral a short while ago, so the bigger problem is that you're often dealing with "ignorance" - albeit a different kind - on both sides of the divide ... ;)

Last edited:
Are the barriers height barriers, specifically to prevent mohos?
Or are they general barriers where the car park is locked after a certain time at night?
If it's just height barriers then it won't have solved the problem all 🤷‍♀️

Surely the local councils must know that it is local yobs causing the mess and destruction?

Never forget that an awful lot of councils are run by exactly the same types that went viral a short while ago, so the bigger problem is that you're often dealing with "ignorance" - albeit a different kind - on both sides of the divide ... ;)

They are 2.2 m height barriers for us.
East Lothian council reckon putting up barriers and signs telling us we are not welcome, when there are much worse things going on is justified.

They are 2.2 m height barriers for us.
East Lothian council reckon putting up barriers and signs telling us we are not welcome, when there are much worse things going on is justified.

Then East Lothian council must be run by asses.

Actually, that's also an insult - this time to the poor ass! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you can't legislate against stupidity, whichever side of the law its on 🤷‍♀️:confused:

Then East Lothian council must be run by asses.

Actually, that's also an insult - this time to the poor ass! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you can't legislate against stupidity, whichever side of the law its on 🤷‍♀️:confused:

Oh they are, the local snp councillor told us to go to campsites. East Lothian are proposing that all wild camping will be banned throughout its region, and we will all be herded into one carpark. But sadly, and this is the saddest comment of all, they are supported by some of us. :(

What I struggle to understand is WHY their is so much rubbish/litter left behind.I don't remember seeing this when I was younger.Sweetie wrappers went in my pockets as did my daughters.....my pockets as well. 😀Lots of people didn't have much, but what they did have was looked after, Doorsteps and pavements regularly cleaned. It feels like they have a sense of entitlement to do just what they want, wherever they go. I wonder if it started with mums going out to work....not having the time to teach their children how to behave, or is it linked to the decline in youth clubs Kids have always found mischief, but their behaviour now seems to have gone to a different level.

As for street wardens.....they are like most other agencies......they focus on soft targets, Just reading about a warden who targeted a mum, whose toddler dropped a biscuit, because the biscuit wasnt picked up immediately. ....think she had her hands full. I know where I would have told the warden where to stick his/her ticket.

Just remembered another instances years ago in Grassington. It was Christmas time and a difficult place to parks so dad set off early to find a parking spot. After walking riund a couple of hours we went back to the car to find a parking ticket. Cones had been put out after we parked.....we did get the ticket cancelled,

It feels like they have a sense of entitlement to do just what they want, wherever they go.

Rant time!
You’re spot on, it’s the entitlement thing. It’s everywhere and affecting everything.
Try dealing with someone in their late twenties who has eaten themselves obese, is now type two diabetic and believes the role of the multiple nhs agencies is to make them better again! God forbid anyone should suggest they stop stuffing their faces.
So with rubbish, it’s much the same. I’m entitled to do what I want and someone else will deal with the consequences of my ignorant stupidity.

As to the reasons why we’re at this point, I guess it’s a number of factors. Education both at home and at school, just look what we don’t teach anymore. But perhaps more importantly, what has happened to self responsibility and self respect?
In my teens during the summer holidays we took jobs on farms, working in hotels or whatever seasonal work was on offer. It was great fun, met some great people and had some great parties. Many kids now have no thought to do this type of work, it’s hard and crap pay. It’s also an education.

I don’t know the answers, though a rethink of our education policies might be a good start.

Do you remember being sent onto the school playing field to pick up litter, especially if you had forgotten your gym kit? Not done any more; apparently it's demeaning.

Seems to me these days that so many are experts on their human rights but know very little about their responsibilities.

The scenes of litter and rubbish devastation are there for all to see, splashed across all media, and it is 100% obvious that the mess isn't caused by campervan/moho owners.

It has even been reported on mainstream media that a lot of the offenders are the troglodytes who can't get over to the Costas to inflict their disgusting behaviour on the poor Spanish. (NB. they didn't use the phrase troglodytes in the reports ;) )

But it isn't just the Costa troglodytes. There's plenty of other people who litter indiscriminately too.

I seriously feel like chopping their hands off, if it was legal :devilish::devilish::devilish:

If there is anything good that might come out of this pandemic it might be to really bring the problem of litter and anti-social behaviour to the top of the agenda. If it doesn't, it bl**dy well should do! If not then the only conclusion must be that we have people in positions of public responsibility who aren't doing their jobs properly.
I also feel the same as you but can you imagine the uproar if the existing Laws were implemented? The Tories are villified as Right Wing Nazis now, so how do you think it would go down if they tried to prevent this behaviour? Priti Patel is already regarded as Cruella De Ville. :rolleyes:

I expect the ones guilty of this behaviour will wealthy people, they probably work in council offices! The ones I have witnessed and it would be so easy to cure is road maintenance workers. Even refuse collectors are less than tidy.

Oh they are, the local snp councillor told us to go to campsites. East Lothian are proposing that all wild camping will be banned throughout its region, and we will all be herded into one carpark. But sadly, and this is the saddest comment of all, they are supported by some of us. :(

I think it is a problem that transcends politics. There are anti motorhome councillors of every political party so exercising our vote probably will have no effect, dammit.

I think it is a problem that transcends politics. There are anti motorhome councillors of every political party so exercising our vote probably will have no effect, dammit.
Yes I agree, that councillor could have came from any party.
The fact that he was an snp councillor is irrelevant.
But if you read his reply to one of our posters, his anti motorhome attitude was full of vitriol.
He reckoned that we wild camped solely to save money, and half of us emptied our cassettes in bushes.:mad:

Yes I agree, that councillor could have came from any party.
The fact that he was an snp councillor is irrelevant.
But if you read his reply to one of our posters, his anti motorhome attitude was full of vitriol.
He reckoned that we wild camped solely to save money, and half of us emptied our cassettes in bushes.:mad:
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who believe that.
Even a friend of mine said she thought we were the main source of shite in the bushes. She didn't sound convinced when I explained otherwise...

I’ve just read through all this and to be fair it’s a lot of rubbish IMHO (no pun intended) “rich people to blame” “councils to blame” “stopping motor homes parking” “Priti Petel” “Nazi’s” “National Service” .........

How about some self respect I don’t give a flyer what the council/Police/government or even you lot think, my father never told me to put my rubbish in the bin or in my pocket, he didn’t need to.

Fact is some Motor homers are just filth, same as some council officials, some rich people, some politicians and some service men. There’s a lack of pride and good intention in many people and you’ll not stop them with policy, threat or punishment. They need to find self respect and it ain’t in a sign telling them what to do, it’s in a system that installs it from the start and that don’t exist in this country today.

Fact is some Motor homers are just filth, same as some council officials, some rich people, some politicians and some service men. There’s a lack of pride and good intention in many people and you’ll not stop them with policy, threat or punishment. They need to find self respect and it ain’t in a sign telling them what to do, it’s in a system that installs it from the start and that don’t exist in this country today.

I beg to differ on that one.

Until the education system catches up - highly doubtful, imo - then the threat, followed by punishment in the form of a fine is a fast fix and will make many people think twice, especially if they think they're much more likely to be caught if its higher on the public agenda.

Remember the new smoking laws? This is not my judgement here - I used to be a smoker myself - but smoking is viewed as pretty anti-social by a large section of the public now, and that was directly as a result of the introduction of new policy and laws.

Tackling the problem can take many forms.
For example, stopping free plastic carrier bags at supermarkets by making people pay has definitely made a difference, according to Keep Britain Tidy and Defra.

Unfortunately, the pandemic has now introduced another form of disposable waste that is the scourge of town and countryside - billions of disposable masks and other types of ppe.

The latest discussions are around making retailers of drinks apply a levy/deposit on all drinks containers at the point of purchase. This worked well when I was a kid, no reason why it shouldn't make an impact now? Maybe they are looking into ways of how to deal with other takeaway containers for food etc.?

Unfortunately, even introducing a deposit on drinks containers etc. might not make a deal of difference to the sort of filth who can afford to leave behind whole tents, chairs and other assorted camping goods. The only way to stop those guys (obviously with way too much money waste!) is to catch them and fine them - heavily, not just a mere £200. Make the amount really hurt their finances so they think twice about repeating the offence. I'd name and shame as well.

Let's hope something is done sooner rather than later, for all our sakes.

Boris - all I can say is you must be the son of the Dalai Llama, or some other spiritual master, if you automatically knew that littering was wrong from birth.... respect! 🙏;) 🤣 😜 :cool:

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back