Scotland

I can understand your sentiments but in a van that has no heating that's not an option. Do you know that the east coast has far less of a midge problem.
I smile every time I hear that about the East coast. Worst ever experience I had with midges in Scotland was in a field a couple of miles out of Inverness 😂😂

We usually do the west coast in spring and autumn, less midgies. In the summer we travel the east coast, there are definitely less midgies in the east. The East neuk of Fife, and around Inverness are our favourites on the east coast

Strictly speaking it's on the east coast but as near west as possible :D :D

1706884352796.png

The weather in Scotland varies north to south, east to west and highland to lowland, only a few days ago some areas hit 19.9c.
The weather in Scotland varies from one leg to the other and changes every few minutes.

Inversneky is more inland than east coast proper. It just sits inland on mory firth I’d say more west coast like when it comes to midges and weather 20mile up the road to Nairn and I’d say more east coast.

By an amazing coincidence SWMBO tends to have a meeting in Edinburgh every year during the Fringe.

Our record is 37 shows in three days.

We are hoping to extend our visit this year to a 4 week PENIS 287 which we think will be better than the NC500.

If you can leave it til last minute then best thing is to watch the forecast and if warm enough at night in May then go then.
Also, we went in June/July one year on the west coast and had no midges at all. Might have something to do with it raining every day!

I can understand your sentiments but in a van that has no heating that's not an option. Do you know that the east coast has far less of a midge problem.

Yes definitely less of a problem in the East. The West coast can be surprisingly mild in the Winter though due to the Gulf Stream effect, I've been in shorts and T-shirt in January at Applecross before now.

However, the cold in the Highlands doesn't bother me but my wife wouldn't be able to do without heating in the van!

I must go to Scotland again but keep running out of time. Last time I went, 10 years ago, I went the tail end of August. What is it like in june- ?? Cold? Difficult to predict I suppose.
Your experience would be appreciated.
The best part is beautiful long days, usually not dark till after 11 pm. Expect all weathers, there could still be snow in the Cairngorms, so everything from tee shirts to a woolly jumper , jacket, and waterproof . Midges always possible so buy a midfielder net and insect repellent such as smidge. A Citroen candle can be useful for your doorway

The best part is beautiful long days, usually not dark till after 11 pm. Expect all weathers, there could still be snow in the Cairngorms, so everything from tee shirts to a woolly jumper , jacket, and waterproof . Midges always possible so buy a midfielder net and insect repellent such as smidge. A Citroen candle can be useful for your doorway
I'd pass on the Citroen candle, can go for the Citronella ones ;) ;)

I must go to Scotland again but keep running out of time. Last time I went, 10 years ago, I went the tail end of August. What is it like in june- ?? Cold? Difficult to predict I suppose.
Your experience would be appreciated.
Best time for Scotland, especially the west coast is May/early June. After that you're guaranteed rain and worst of all.....midges!!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back