Scotland

Moonraker 2

I must go to Scotland again but keep running out of time. Last time I went, 10 years ago, I went the tail end of August. What is it like in june- ?? Cold? Difficult to predict I suppose.
Your experience would be appreciated.

May or September are your good months, not just for weather but midges as well. Not a guarentee though as things change each year..last year was rain intermittently from July on...same as 2018.

When we lived there (20 odd years) we usually found October was often decent weather ,having said that our neighbor used to say Scotland has nine months of winter and three months damn cold weather.

Spring end of march to end May no midges nae school holidays depends when Easter is and your getting things fresh.Around September time the locals are starting to get pissed off wae tourists and campers so better early spring

May and June are often good but as said there are no guarantees. The Scots will perhaps verify this but I always thought the Scottish summer holidays were earlier because the weather was generally better early summer but I suspect thats total bollox.

In my own experience its kind of true. Spent a lot of time on Arran and I can remember loads of great weather around June time or late may but a lot of wet Augusts and changeable July weather. Weather systems are all to pot anyway. Dont go too early though, it can be brutal.

Screenshot_20240202_071816.jpg

Thanks everyone, June is looking like an option, although not guaranteed, which fits my plans.

School holidays here (may vary by a week or two in different regions) are 1st July to 20th August

Yes, so a good three weeks or so earlier than England. I had a quick google to find out why. Some theories about helping out on the farms in the past and possibly the weather but nobody seems to really know why.

Went to Scotland in June and July 2021, July 2022, July 2023. Good dry, sunny weather virtually all the time on all trips except 2023. In 2021 and 2022, I may have let weather forecasts slightly influence my choice of area; in July 2023, intermittent rain seemed to be across all of Scotland.

We go often go in October tail end of autumn when the dark skies really kick in ..going again this year

When were working class we'd go up for easter weekend, not too crowded and west Scotland was quite warm even on Skye.

One of our best holidays was in 09 the year I retired and we did about 5 weeks up there, even went to Arran for a week and it wasn't cold at all

We did east Scotland this summer, never saw a midge, use the forecast and go where they are not, we loved Aberdeenshire and we'll be going around there again at some point, two things we noticed were lots of Pig and Potato farms around there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back