Scotland wild camping - motorhome trip

I was repeating what another well-known wild camper had said, not from my own experience, as we have been twice and loved it but the last time was 7 years ago, I much prefer it to Arran by far.
I don’t think you can really compare Mull with Arran pudsey
But Arran is probably more welcoming and the west side of the island offer some fantastic places to wc. Arran has two free chemical waste points, and several places were you can get water. all accept the campsite in Lochranza allow access for water, grey water and chemical waste.
But mull is much larger, with fantastic scenery. I love them both.
Mull offers easy access to Iona, and a visit to Staffa and Fingles cave really is a must.
When on Arran I can’t believe I am only 12 miles away from the central belt.
I can get to Ardrossan in one hour.

I just never really liked Arran, I didn't like Mull first time we went stayed three days and never saw a thing it was solid fog, but we gave it a second try and it was just gob smacking for us, we'll be going back for sure at some point, but I think we'll do Ireland again first.

@Fabio
Calgary bay is one of the honeypot spots so can be busy there’s better places to stop imho.
For us number one is probably Lochbuie we've stopped there a few days regularly, we also love the proximity of the private beach at Ardlanish Weavers a great place to stop on the way to and from Iona.

This year we also spent a brilliant couple of days below Ben More alongside Loch Na Keal.

Had one of the best sunsets I have ever seen and saw several Otters

IMG20230915193259_Original.jpeg

Thank you for your replies. @Thistle that's a cracking sunset! A walk/climb up Ben More is on our wish list so might include a night there too. It looks as though there are plenty of places to stopover by the Loch.

I find with Scotland it's best not to plan and just get up there as often as possible and shout "SCOTLAND" as you pass the sign and enjoy all its charms even if it does pee it down every day you're there.

I find with Scotland it's best not to plan and just get up there as often as possible and shout "SCOTLAND" as you pass the sign and enjoy all its charms even if it does pee it down every day you're there.

I agree Kev.

We usually go with a loose plan as there are some places we just don't want to miss. But never set in stone and we do deviate along the way.

To be honest it's getting a bit boring now, that's the problem with liking to drive a good bit every day, there is very little of for Scotland we've not been to at least once, with the exception of the eastern side which we go to now quite a bit for the last three years, not been up around Wester Ross for a while, I think last time was when the road was closed and we had to use the old dinky Skye ferry that was pressed into service.

I wasnt impressed with our one and only visit to Mull. Pretty enough Island but we hotel hopped (A few years before we got a motorhome) and the one thing that struck me is everywhere was run my Basil Fawlty type English people. :D Got ripped off for a small fortune for a hotel in Tobermory where after we returned from the Indian restaurant around 10:30pm (also very expensive) I ordered a round of drinks, the snotty woman (one of the owners I think) looked at her watch and was most put out! At another place they were offended that we didnt want to stay in the hotel for Dinner! He even looked like Basil! 🤣 I think someone at the time told me Mull was 65% English or English run (Cant remember). If true and they are all like the ones we came across ill bet my house thats why they are so anti wild camping.

To be honest it's getting a bit boring now, that's the problem with liking to drive a good bit every day, there is very little of for Scotland we've not been to at least once, with the exception of the eastern side which we go to now quite a bit for the last three years, not been up around Wester Ross for a while, I think last time was when the road was closed and we had to use the old dinky Skye ferry that was pressed into service.

I love Wester Ross Kev especially Applecross and never get tired of it.

But as well as the beautiful scenery it's about meeting old friends who I have got to know over the years.

I've seldom had issues with rain in Scotland. There was some precipitation when I was up there last year, but there was never any to stop me from walking the dog before breakfast, though I did have to cut one or two of the walks a bit short. Previous trips, I'd pretty much avoided all rain by appropriate route planning. :)
Must remember to check when you'll be there and not go at that time if rain is guaranteed. :D

I've seldom had issues with rain in Scotland. There was some precipitation when I was up there last year, but there was never any to stop me from walking the dog before breakfast, though I did have to cut one or two of the walks a bit short. Previous trips, I'd pretty much avoided all rain by appropriate route planning. :)
Must remember to check when you'll be there and not go at that time if rain is guaranteed. :D
I don't usually find it too bad up there, towards the end of December and January this year though they must have had a lot of rain, (although I managed to dodge most of it). Quite a few places were well waterlogged, Duck Bay was really that this year, they big field opposite that has the tall pines/cedars on was a duck pond. Not sure if Loch Lomond had risen and flooded or if it was just rain gathering there

It often rains and that's fine, we don't mind, it's mist or fog which we don't like, so we'll have a duvet day instead.

I wasnt impressed with our one and only visit to Mull. Pretty enough Island but we hotel hopped (A few years before we got a motorhome) and the one thing that struck me is everywhere was run my Basil Fawlty type English people. :D Got ripped off for a small fortune for a hotel in Tobermory where after we returned from the Indian restaurant around 10:30pm (also very expensive) I ordered a round of drinks, the snotty woman (one of the owners I think) looked at her watch and was most put out! At another place they were offended that we didnt want to stay in the hotel for Dinner! He even looked like Basil! 🤣 I think someone at the time told me Mull was 65% English or English run (Cant remember). If true and they are all like the ones we came across ill bet my house thats why they are so anti wild camping.
Pretty sure not just English . Lot of people want to move to places like Mull and think 'we'll run a little hotel , how hard can that be ?'
Hospitality is hard work . Been to many badly run bars , restaurants etc up the west coast . Don't know what the fail rate is , must be pretty high ?

Thank you for your replies. @Thistle that's a cracking sunset! A walk/climb up Ben More is on our wish list so might include a night there too. It looks as though there are plenty of places to stopover by the Loch.
Your welcome @Fabio this video shows where we stayed in September four years ago, ff to about 19 minutes in, Dervaig, then Calgary and Ardlanish.

14.39 in, my mates boat third from left. Bet you did not know you were looking over to the ...............

I need to try get back up there this year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back