Scotland wild camping - motorhome trip

just back from a six week trip to France great to see and travel in a lovely country but I was out today only about 40 miles from where I live and I can honestly say Scotland for me is absolutely amazing every corner you turn is spectacular especially on the west coast. Argyle and the kintyre peninsula are the best to get away from the hordes and a lot of the islands are accessible from here the kids might like the idea of an adventure by going on a ferry. If in your budget and time scale a visit to the western isles is a real eye opener miles of beaches and loads of camping spots. Too much to do on one trip but that’s the beauty of a motorhome there’s always next time. Hope the weather’s kind for you October has been decent the last few years.

just back from a six week trip to France great to see and travel in a lovely country but I was out today only about 40 miles from where I live and I can honestly say Scotland for me is absolutely amazing every corner you turn is spectacular especially on the west coast. Argyle and the kintyre peninsula are the best to get away from the hordes and a lot of the islands are accessible from here the kids might like the idea of an adventure by going on a ferry. If in your budget and time scale a visit to the western isles is a real eye opener miles of beaches and loads of camping spots. Too much to do on one trip but that’s the beauty of a motorhome there’s always next time. Hope the weather’s kind for you October has been decent the last few years.

Kids don't need loads of money spent on them ,my kids have been on long haul holidays over the years but they still talk about the simple things visiting new beaches ,games, ruin castles etc .Time most important ,mines are 25 & 21 but appreciate what we did with what money we had at the time .Happy Holiday making memories .

Kids don't need loads of money spent on them ,my kids have been on long haul holidays over the years but they still talk about the simple things visiting new beaches ,games, ruin castles etc .Time most important ,mines are 25 & 21 but appreciate what we did with what money we had at the time .Happy Holiday making memories .
I whole heartedly agree. We had a caravan and toured Scotland every holiday with our boys. We did the Canary Islands holiday and didn’t like it. Our boys loved their holidays and now at 31 and 27 they are off up the Scottish hills and caves at every opportunity. Our oldest has even got his own camper.

We're travelling around the East Coast of Scotland at the moment. Almost all the rural car parks in the Cairngorms now have no overnight signs with photos of motorhomes.
I'm updating them and spots we drive past in the app but don't feel particularly confident of getting a spot anymore which has never bothered me before.

We're travelling around the East Coast of Scotland at the moment. Almost all the rural car parks in the Cairngorms now have no overnight signs with photos of motorhomes.
I'm updating them and spots we drive past in the app but don't feel particularly confident of getting a spot anymore which has never bothered me before.
Parking in the forestry car parks in the Cairngorms was never a problem until they opened the designated motorhome stopovers. Now you’ve got your Aires we’re banned from our sneaky wee spots. Be careful what you wish for🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤬

this Is our first summer with the camper and we've found many small independent sites along the west coast that offer a wild feeling, but with enough services that you don’t become a burden on the local resources. Remember it’s illegal to dump waste anywhere except at chemical waste points. There is a free grey and waste water services at Tarbert on Loch Lomond. Locations I’d recommend on the mainland are Kilchoan, between Arisaig and Mallaig, Muasdale and Easdale. And then of course there are many many islands…. Also, Foresty Scotland has a stay the night scheme, with some interesting locations. Hope you have fun on your trip

Last edited:
its illegal to dump waste anywhere except at chemical waste point

Not heard that before.

its illegal to dump waste anywhere except at chemical waste point

Not heard that before.

No me neither but it might be right. There is probably some law somewhere that would even apply to washing your car and letting the waste water run into a storm drain or water course.

Chemical waste point is a bit too vague to be official, obviously don't just chuck it anywhere.

I haven't done the NC500 as much prefer to do what mistericeman does and seek some isolation. We did the Scotland last October and visited Mull. Whilst not typically "Off Grid", there are a lot of options to park up and a pay a small fee (often honesty boxes) in some spectacular locations. Also viewing point on a remote track can be an amazing place to wake up. I may be wrong but the Forestry Commission sites don't appear to prohibit overnight parking but try and avoid those on main routes which get busy and noisy with coming and goings all night. Just be respectful and enjoy and I'm sure the kids will love the freedom.

We are heading to Mull for the second week of April and planning to stay a night at Calgary Bay. Looks like this should be possible according to the app but it was last verified in June 2022. Any up-to-date experiences from Mull very welcome. Thanks

I heard that you're supposed to have a campsite booking to board the ferry now, Islanders not happy with us, but it's not been confirmed, seems unlikely, been a few times about 5-6 years ago with no issues.

We are booked on to the ferry no problem, without any site booking requirement, but we are booked on to a small site near Tobermory as well any way.

Going West they could do the short Greenock to Dunoon ferry, wasn’t very much at all last time I used it. Kids would get ferry but keep costs down and save a couple hours driving

I heard that you're supposed to have a campsite booking to board the ferry now, Islanders not happy with us, but it's not been confirmed, seems unlikely, been a few times about 5-6 years ago with no issues.
That’s not the case, you are free to wc on Mull.
There are no campsites open from October to March.
As for islanders not being happy with us, I have never found this to be the case.
There will be a few but they live mainly In Tobermory.
Mull is a large island with plenty of places to wc.
I have always felt welcome on Mull.
Last months MMM had an article supporting this, I wrote to inform them there is no requirement to book a campsite.

I was repeating what another well-known wild camper had said, not from my own experience, as we have been twice and loved it but the last time was 7 years ago, I much prefer it to Arran by far.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back