Scooter rack update and pics

barryd

Today has been a bit of a mare. Not only did I spend hours trying to fettle the new scooter rack but as always, every year without fail despite me being very semi retired I have two catastrophic IT disasters with my two biggest remaining clients. You literally could not make it up! :D Neither resolved of course yet!

Anyway. Good points and bad points. The new ramp is way longer than the old one which means it has to be stowed with hand turned bolts onto the rack which is a pain. The old one fit in the garage but the biggest issue is the pole that the seat clamp goes onto bends towards the back window when you clamp it down to within an inch. I thought I had cracked it just now when I figured I needed to adjust the distance on the seat clamp so it was nearer the van to stop the bike and the pole being spread apart when you ratchet it down. That has made it slightly better but its still moving. Its all very secure but just a little too close for comfort to the back window. Also because its not straight when you release the seat clamp its still stuck fast onto the pole because its not on straight. You have to rive it quite hard to get it to free and slide up the pole. I have emailed and contacted Armitage for advice.

I think it will be fine and it feels solid, its just not quite right I don't think. I have to say it, my old rack from 16 years ago I think was better. This looks and feels much posher but the old one was technically perfect.

Had a drive out and it feels fine and I can watch it on one of the rear view cameras if I like. :D Van handles just the same although I never got over 50.

Nice looking rack. Looks well up to the job. (y)

Be happy when I get mine sorted.

Perhaps worth considering shortening the length of the upright to take it away from the window which would be difficult to replace if damaged, and expensive, whereas a body repair is easier to effect.
The photos give the impression the upright leans towards the rear of the van so if shortened it gives more of a margin of clearance.
Depends on wether the adjustment on the horizontal bar is reasonably finalised.
Although you have given it an initial run, think of the 30 kph ramps in french villages. If you hit on of those a bit quickly, the leverage on the frame and subsequent movement could be more than you plan for.
I hope this observation is helpful, not being a biker ( beyond pedal cycles on a rack) I may be talking rubbish, but experience of motorbikers with a similar setup will comment.

Davy

Perhaps worth considering shortening the length of the upright to take it away from the window which would be difficult to replace if damaged, and expensive, whereas a body repair is easier to effect.
The photos give the impression the upright leans towards the rear of the van so if shortened it gives more of a margin of clearance.
Depends on wether the adjustment on the horizontal bar is reasonably finalised.
Although you have given it an initial run, think of the 30 kph ramps in french villages. If you hit on of those a bit quickly, the leverage on the frame and subsequent movement could be more than you plan for.
I hope this observation is helpful, not being a biker ( beyond pedal cycles on a rack) I may be talking rubbish, but experience of motorbikers with a similar setup will comment.

Davy

I thought similar and wondered why it was that long in the first place, perhaps there is a reason for it?

Also being lower would take away the outward curvature of the window and along with the angle of the bar would give quite a decent gap between the bar and the bodywork judging by the pictures. I've no experience of these either so may be talking twaddle, but Barry's used to that. :)

Just been talking to Wayne the main guy at Armitage. The poles do naturally bend inwards slightly when you ratchet. He explained why but it went over my head. He thinks though mine is a little excessive and it might need the bottom of the pole loosening, tapping with a mallet at the top and retightening.

The reason the pole is so long (high) is the idea is you secure the seat clamp right at the top and the bike gets revved up onto the rack and it fits (just) under the seat clamp. You then drop the seat clamp onto the seat so its a one man job. However on the old van I never did this. I just revved the bike up onto the rack, leaned the handle bars against the rear ladder which of course is missing on this van and then I just whacked the seat clamp on. What I tried here is I put a thick hiking sock on the left hand mirror, bent it round and gently leaned it against the window as a test so in theory I could saw that pole down a fair bit and just do it that way. I could also saw a chunk off the loading ramp as well and then I wouldnt have to screw it down with the hand screws on the rack when stowing it, it would just fling in the garage (its about a foot too long right now).

Too late for all that now though. Will just have to wing it and see how it goes.

I wouldn't be happy with the pole that close to the window, it looks like you need a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap between the pole and the window. Failing that a couple of Rizla papers. Is it possible to remove a wedge near the bottom of the pole and reweld so the post tilts towards the rack?

I suppose you could always travel with the window open, a bit like the rear engined Fiat Abarths

1720633559653.png

P.S. "GB" plate should be "UK" and needs moving anyway.

I wouldn't be happy with the pole that close to the window, it looks like you need a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap between the pole and the window. Failing that a couple of Rizla papers. Is it possible to remove a wedge near the bottom of the pole and reweld so the post tilts towards the rack?

I suppose you could always travel with the window open, a bit like the rear engined Fiat Abarths

View attachment 133005

P.S. "GB" plate should be "UK" and needs moving anyway.

Since I adjusted the seat clamp its about an inch and a half off the window. Ill be strapping a glove to the top also. After speaking to Wayne ill try what he said and see what can be done. I don't think its going to hit the window. Pretty sure that window cant be opened.

Not sure why the upright is so high.

Also I’d have powder coated to whole thing tbh.

But to be fair it looks like you’ve done a good job overall, alitle adjustment on the bottom frame should bring the upright away from the window, but still not sure why it’s so high.

Not sure why the upright is so high.

Also I’d have powder coated to whole thing tbh.

But to be fair it looks like you’ve done a good job overall, alitle adjustment on the bottom frame should bring the upright away from the window, but still not sure why it’s so high.

If you missed my post above the idea of it being so high is so you can position the seat clamp right at the top of the pole then rev the bike up onto the rack which just fits under the elevated seat clamp. Then you drop the clamp onto the seat. However I could chop it to below the window and just lean the bike against the van then pick up the clamp off the floor and drop it on. The old van had a ladder and I leaned it against that, this one doesnt though so I would have to lean the left hand mirror against the window. I practiced this today with a hiking sock on the mirror to avoid scratching the glass. :D

Too late for any big mods like that though for now. We are away Sunday.

Does look like it's angled towards the rear of the van ....

Is there adjustment on the brackets

Does look like it's angled towards the rear of the van ....

Is there adjustment on the brackets

Dont think so. Apparently they do move backwards when ratcheted down. I think ill have to loosen it again and make sure its level. Wayne at Armitages said to do that and tap the top with a mallet then tighten it. Ill have a bit more play with it next couple of days if it ever stops raining.

Could you not take the clamp off and swivel it 90° so it sits on the upright but parallel to the back of the van Barry? Then when the scooter is up there slide it off and on again in the right orientation, or would that still be awkward to hold the bike in position while you did so?

Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

Could you not take the clamp off and swivel it 90° so it sits on the upright but parallel to the back of the van Barry? Then when the scooter is up there slide it off and on again in the right orientation, or would that still be awkward to hold the bike in position while you did so?

Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

I am not sure there is a problem Rob. The clamp wont swivel, it just slides left or right along the bar then you bolt it down when you get the position right. A bit more fiddling and it will be right I think. This tour I reckon will be a good test.

I am not sure there is a problem Rob. The clamp wont swivel, it just slides left or right along the bar then you bolt it down when you get the position right. A bit more fiddling and it will be right I think. This tour I reckon will be a good test.

Yeah I really haven't understood it Barry, I didn't realise it moved left and right I was thinking it just moved up and down onto the seat.

You seem to have it sussed and like you say a few times on the tour it will become second nature.

Upright (red) deff looks like it's leaning in towards the van ...

And brackets (blue) look tilted upwards ....

Possibly it's partly deliberate to allow things to settle and not end up sagging down .
(though it would drive my OCD mad )

Cut it off below the window you will be pissed off when it hits the body never mind the window. It doesn't need to be so long and you can bet your life it will hit at some point. It is amazing how much movement happens on a racks especially on speed humps, potholes and hump back bridges.

Back