Schengen travel for eu/non eu couple

redhand

As someone who can claim Irish citizenship through birth though my wife cannot would this allow us as a couple to stay longer than the 90 days post Jan 2021

It can be done, but there are clauses regarding qualifying periods of residency.

I’m in the sloooow process, but don’t actually need to.
You can only get an Irish passport/citizenship based on your spouse, if you live in Ireland for five years.
My grandparents were born in Ireland, but you only need one. First stage is to register your birth, which before Covid could take a year. Then you can apply for the passport.
If one of you has an EU passport, the EU law says they will not separate spouses. So realistically, I could travel with James on his Irish passport freely. However some people have said you need to get your wedding certificate notarised and you need to be familiar with the legislation to explain it to some border officials. I’m getting my passport as belt and braces.
Alan and Ruth, who we’ve met, have a comprehensive article about it on their blog

Last edited:
Thank for info folks I have dual nationality having held both passports in the past, my wife has lived there for the residency period but it was nearly thirty years ago. I shall check out the blog mentioned

I am in the same situation, my wife is Dutch.
As I understand it there are two ways forward, the notarized marriage certificate ( many countries do NOT recognise an English marriage certificate, it must be further validated, notarized. )
Or
You should be able to apply for an extension to the 90 days, as your partner is from the EU this is free and automatic but might take some time to get.

You do of course have to be travelling with your partner or able to prove that you are on a direct route home or to meet them.

My son had no problems travelling in Shengen zone with his Thai wife under EU rules although he did think he would and took marriage certificate with him. Medical insurance for the spouse was checked, but nobody (then) was interested in the marriage certificate!

The blog seems very clear that there shoulnt be an issue with a mix like this and good to know your son and wife back this up so I should probably get on and renew my Irish passport. There may be a very long queue

My wife is Thai..We had to jump through hoops to go to Schengen countries.
Marriage cert and accommodation details.
Visit the embassy..etc fussy but ok.
Now she has 2 passports so just the B problem for both of us..Fortunately most years 3 months is enough.
But Morocco and Turkey maybe ahead.
I believe it may be possible to extend tje 3 months but no firm evidence as yet.
Anyway Europe would appear to be out for 2020 with isolation etc
..Who knows ? ....NOBODY !

Don’t forget Ireland is not part of the Schengen zone. I don’t know if this will affect Irish citizens and the 90 day limit.

I think on an Irish passport you retain free movement as still part of EU ?
I read this on the ETIAS website. I think this also applied to U.K. citizens (until the end of this year )

“Is Ireland part of Schengen or the E.U.?

The Republic of Ireland, also called Eire, is not a part of the Schengen zone, but it is part of the E.U. In fact, Ireland is only one of a handful of countries that are in the E.U., but never joined Schengen. This does make it a bit confusing for a lot of people, many Europeans included. The Schengen agreement is designed to provide uniform border rules for all the countries in the zone. Once you have been allowed into 1 Schengen country, you can go to any of the others as long as you don’t exceed the maximum stay of 90 days in the whole zone.“

As French citizens arriving into the UK do not have to quarantine, apparently under a reciprocal deal with the government in Paris.
Does that mean that I can catch a ferry to Calais then go on my merry way in the motorhome throughout France ?

Which raises point 2.

Once in France can i travel throughout schengen zone unhindered in any way, France being a fully paid up member?

Or am I a happy optimist and reciprocal actually means "one way".

Just askin.

Dezi

As French citizens arriving into the UK do not have to quarantine, apparently under a reciprocal deal with the government in Paris.
Does that mean that I can catch a ferry to Calais then go on my merry way in the motorhome throughout France ?

Which raises point 2.

Once in France can i travel throughout schengen zone unhindered in any way, France being a fully paid up member?

Or am I a happy optimist and reciprocal actually means "one way".

Just askin.

Dezi

No idea. Looks like most countries will still have border controls up, so you'll have to sterilise your passport a few times I guess.

Is it now the case we can drive to Spain, but not Wales & Scotland? 😅

No and no

You can’t travel to France in your motorhome yet for two reasons. You won’t be allowed out of the U.K. and you won’t be allowed into France in a motorhome.
Travel is restricted to departments in France with a limit of 100km as the crow flies If you cross to another department. Travel like this will need a certificate with an acceptable reason to travel, ie work, important family reasons ( illness etc)
Another reason you and your motorhome won’t be allowed in.

When you eventually get to France, (after all travel restrictions are lifted) and the Schengen zone, your travel will be dependant on where your passport is issued.
If it’s from a non Schengen country, you are limited to 90 days in every 180.

Last edited:
From Friday nearly all people entering Spain will be quarantined for 14days. Link
I don’t know how they plan to do it for those with no address there, but elsewhere in the world it involved going to a hotel room and not leaving it at all for 2 weeks.

We did not have to quarantine in entry to France or Spain but now Spain will insist on 14 day quarantine ( hotels were stated in original proposal) from 15th May till 24/5 when it will probably be extended. Certain people are exempt from the quarantine but cannot see the clause which allowed EU citizens returning to habitual residence transiting through Spain, it may still stand and just not be clear, but think they may well impose the quarantine. France also have a quarantine rule but there are more exemptions
The only reason you would be allowed in either France or Spain is if you have residence. So no motorhoming for the foreseeable future!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back