Scam ! (HMRC payup or go to Jail)

jagmanx

Go directly to jail do not pass go and collect £200 !

phone no +44 1332 167048

Derby I think So not even an HMRC office.
Also a sturdy so no HMRC offices open ?
Allegedly HMRC..I am to be arrested unless I press 1 and presumably give them all my bank details etc
I did not press 1 !
A bit unluckly for the arresting officer as he will have to quarantine for 2 weeks first 👮‍♂️ 👮‍♂️ 👮‍♂️ :unsure:
I know my tax is in order as I do on-line self assessment and yes I will need to make a payment in January.
Automated call as well !!

1 anyone else had this number call them ?
2 I hope I will get visited in prison !!!

Go directly to jail do not pass go and collect £200 !

phone no +44 1332 167048

Derby I think So not even an HMRC office.
Also a sturdy so no HMRC offices open ?
Allegedly HMRC..I am to be arrested unless I press 1 and presumably give them all my bank details etc
I did not press 1 !
A bit unluckly for the arresting officer as he will have to quarantine for 2 weeks first 👮‍♂️ 👮‍♂️ 👮‍♂️ :unsure:
I know my tax is in order as I do on-line self assessment and yes I will need to make a payment in January.
Automated call as well !!

1 anyone else had this number call them ?
2 I hope I will get visited in prison !!!

I had a phone call a couple of weeks ago about this same thing, it was from a different number though 020 3986 2861 and it was to my mobile, I'm not sure how I was committing tax fraud since I'm on PAYE, like you I didn't press ! and so far I haven't been arrested despite the recorded message saying if I didn't press 1 I would be arrested shortly. I reported it to HMRC on their fraud reporting page.

Yes 🙄 Blocked that was the phone call.
Text message got a very rude answer and if we get the are you in an accident then we always are right there and then, how did you know, thank goodness you called, my head is hanging off and there’s blood everywhere. All in a hysterical voice and then the phone goes OFF, them not me.

Sometimes get one or two a week, sometimes even press 1, they usually hang up after 30 seconds, not sure why. 😂

Mine came from a mobile number to my mobile, was laughing by time I hung up! Sadly there are many people who fall foul of these scammers

It's getting really bad here. After we got caught by a PayPal-using scammer, I guess that our phone numbers have been sold on various 'sucker lists' and we now get two or three cold calls most days. We've found that if you just pick up the receiver and listen without saying anything, most of them just hang up.

Yes 🙄 Blocked that was the phone call.
Text message got a very rude answer and if we get the are you in an accident then we always are right there and then, how did you know, thank goodness you called, my head is hanging off and there’s blood everywhere. All in a hysterical voice and then the phone goes OFF, them not me.

I do similar and my answer goes something like .......................

OMG, that was quick, how did you know, the ambulance hasn`t even arrived yet ......

Just one moment please they`re about to cut the roof off the car ............

It`s not conveniet right now i`m about to be sedated whilst they amputate my leg ..........

hello ....... hello ...... hello, the line has usually gone dead by then :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
We laugh so much at these calls and they usually call whilst one of us is driving !!! I do feel a bit sorry for the kids trying to earn a crust :(
The other is energy calls we totally baffle them when we say we don’t need electric !!! We live in a motorhome ;)

Argh! Just received one on Jan's phone. Conversation went something like:
Female cold caller (CC): I understand you've been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault.
Me: Sorry, what did you say your company was?
CC: [some company name]
Me: Thank you. Who, exactly, do you want to speak to?
(bear in mind that I'm on my wife's phone and I don't sound like her)​
CC: You. I understand you were involved in an accident that wasn't your fault.
Me: If this isn't a cold call, you will be able to tell me who it is that you want to speak with.
CC: Were you involved in an accident that wasn't your fault.
Me: Since you don't know my name, you must be cold calling and probably war dialling. This number is registered with on the Telephone Preference Service, and I have your company name and phone number. Do you know the penalty for cold calling such a number?
CC: (hangs up).

FWIW, the Swansea based company that featured on BBC Three's "The Call Centre" got fined £225k for failing to adequately check whether the numbers they were cold calling were registered on the TPS. (->clicky link<-) So it's worthwhile registering with the TPS and, if you have to speak with a cold caller, it's worthwhile getting them to tell you the company name so you can report them.

Had two this week stating HMRC fraud investigation cant verify the number though but was a mobile number with a recorded message.

It's not a good idea to even answer these calls if you're sure it's an unwanted one. Once they get someone to pick up it signals to them that they have got a "live" number from the random dialler, and they'll keep trying and/or sell it on to others. There are a few blocking apps available for mobiles, I just add the numbers to them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back