Satnav for lorries/motorhomes

alisonwo

Looking at getting one of these as its more descriptive than a normal satnav, especially for bridges and suchlike. Has anyone bought one and and can recommend a make to me, or conversely any I should avoid.

SAt Nav

Hi I use Aguri sat nav unit brilliant once set up tells you bad bends , cross wind areas and keeps you away from low bridges. Check out mag's for best prices

Thank you Beemer not heard of this make of satnav and so cheap compared to the others. Do you ride a Beemer btw? I used to have a boxer, but then you may be talking about cars not bikes.

Looking at getting one of these as its more descriptive than a normal satnav, especially for bridges and suchlike. Has anyone bought one and and can recommend a make to me, or conversely any I should avoid.

Last week I'm sure iampatman was selling two satnavs of great quality might be worth sending a pm to pat for details.

Last week I'm sure iampatman was selling two satnavs of great quality might be worth sending a pm to pat for details.

Correct Gordon, I sold the Garmin but the Tom Tom would have been right up the OP's street but as nobody was interested I've promised it to my son now and I can't really give him back word which is why I didn't respond to the original post. Enjoy France by the way.

Pat

Just to add another point for the Nozatec, the version I got has an AV input - like this one, currently under £40 (although this isn't the same seller I bought from). I have been able to connect a reversing camera to it which automatically overrides the satnav screen when reverse is selected.
As hairydog says, the maps are not up to date, but thanks to his assistance I now have an updated working set.

We use the TomTom 720. Load in the size of your vehicle. Pretty good for UK & Europe! Fairytooth on here sells & refurbishes them.

Whoa just read the comments as Alan advised and have just totally gone off the nozatec, will keep looking for something else.

I found with the TomTom that it was extremely conservative or cautious when selecting a route when I had inputted my vehicle dimensions. Any road that didn't have a white line down the middle was a no-no. My Garmin, which has no facility to accept vehicle dimensions, is much more fun.

Pat

I always get the cheap 7" Chinese ones and find they are very good, never been sent down a dead end and easy to use, used them in France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland. The first one lasted 3 years (at £34 it's disposable) and I'm on my 3rd year with the 2nd one. As for being out of date, only once have i been on a brand new bypass and it showed I was cutting across a field. I also have a Mio supplied by work but find it's not a patch on the others.

I'm on my 2nd Nozatec satnav, the 712 model, capacitive screen, not resistive, Bluetooth etc, all for 43 quid, I bought the first after my expensive Garmin proved useless in France, upgraded due to better screen, old one still in glovebox as backup.

Done thousands of miles with it, 11 weeks and over 5000 miles this year alone, never steered me wrong, never had an issue with either unit although I don't use the inbuilt extras, a satnav is for satnaving in my book, not answering phone calls, playing music etc, and I don't answer the phone while driving, there are enough dangers on the road already without me adding a lack of concentration to the mix. 😆

Would reccomend the Nozza without hesitation.

Hymie

Garmin Camper 660 LMT-D Europe 45, it does everything except cook dinner and drive the van. :D

I always get the cheap 7" Chinese ones and find they are very good, never been sent down a dead end and easy to use, used them in France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland. The first one lasted 3 years (at £34 it's disposable) and I'm on my 3rd year with the 2nd one. As for being out of date, only once have i been on a brand new bypass and it showed I was cutting across a field. I also have a Mio supplied by work but find it's not a patch on the others.

I've still got one of these, but no longer use it, because of it's not easy to see, when conditions are bright, and extremely difficult when the sun is shining.
I fitted one of those clip on shades, but it didn't really help, also there is the problem with poor sound, although that can be helped by using bluetooth.

The worst aspect, from my point of view, was that inputting the vehicle dimensions, didn't seem to make any difference, although the routing did avoid narrow roads, it took us all around the place.

Both of the others that I have used, Tom Tom & Garmin, will, on occasion, take us down unsuitable roads, if I follow their directions.

My current Garmin Nuvi 54, has only two choices, fastest route, or shortest, so it's set to fastest, hoping that it will avoid narrow roads. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The Garmins idea of fastest CAN'T possibly be right, because the routes it selects are often so twisty and narrow, and, consequentaly, take a lot of time.

In my own case, my old Tom Tom, was the best that I have used, but it was the old "Go 500" model, and they have changed the format considerably, since then.

Inputting my own poi's, however, is simple on my Garmin, but it was also quite easy, I found, on the Chinese sat nav

None are perfect. Download co-pilot caravan to a phone or tablet. At only £50 it is by far th cheapest option.

None are perfect. Download co-pilot caravan to a phone or tablet. At only £50 it is by far th cheapest option.

Seemed alright in France and the UK, but it was hopeless in Spain. So much so that I ditched it and installed TomTom Mobile and just kept my eyes open for height and width restrictions.

Both of the others that I have used, Tom Tom & Garmin, will, on occasion, take us down unsuitable roads, if I follow their directions.

My current Garmin Nuvi 54, has only two choices, fastest route, or shortest, so it's set to fastest, hoping that it will avoid narrow roads. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The Garmins idea of fastest CAN'T possibly be right, because the routes it selects are often so twisty and narrow, and, consequentaly, take a lot of time.

In their defence I think it is caused by the relatively poor quality of data provided by their mapping providers.

It is notable that in the UK things are MUCH better!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back