Satnav for lorries/motorhomes

"My current Garmin Nuvi 54, has only two choices, fastest route, or shortest, so it's set to fastest, hoping that it will avoid narrow roads. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The Garmins idea of fastest CAN'T possibly be right, because the routes it selects are often so twisty and narrow, and, consequentaly, take a lot of time."

That's probably because the twisty roads don't have set speed limits and are considered as "nation speed limit applies", but you would be foolish to do 60MPH down them.

Aguri.....good kit, poor service

I've just bought the Aguri RV720 and though it looks like a good satnav I'm struggling to get it set up, mostly due to it not coming with a user manual and me being a bit of a Luddite when it comes to technology like this.
I contacted their Live Chat and asked for help, got a few tips which didn't really help and decided to sleep on the matter.

This morning I awoke to find that the battery had dropped from 100% to 36% overnight despite having switched off as best I could given that there was no manual, and got back on to Live Chat.
I explained my problem and suggested that I would maybe send it back as it was not exactly easy to set up and that it would not connect to my Wifi, only to have a reply from Thomas whose first words were "Tedious, you haven't switched it off properly".

That may well be the case, but that's not exactly Customer Service in my book so I challenged him about the "tedious" remark and got this reply.... "My guess is that someone else has clicked on to the wrong conversation momentarily when they were speaking to someone else".

Aye, that'll be what happened son.........

Thank you Beemer not heard of this make of satnav and so cheap compared to the others. Do you ride a Beemer btw? I used to have a boxer, but then you may be talking about cars not bikes.

Yes I ride a Beemer, had a boxer R1150RT, then a Boxer Cup 110S.. and got caught speeding on it (101mph in a 60)..thought I would need a lot of money to pay the fine, so sold it (big mistake), and as it turned out I got £690 fine, banned for 28 days with no points on my license :) so bought my current ride.. a BMW K1200S.. this bike can only top 178mph.. so the next time I get caught will be the last time I reckon.
Just to note.. I also bought a sat nav to fit on it for my jaunts to Germany.

Sniper satnav

HI
I used the smartnav in my A7300 but even when I told the operator it was a motor home it still took me down some tight roads, so I bought a SNIPER TRUCK SAT NAV. brilliant set up your vans dimensions speed, wight etc. Also has fuel stations, campsites,truck specific service centres inbuilt, has an FM modulator so the voice comes through your radio,etc. never taken me down a wrong un yet touch wood.

link for example.
SNIPER 7" TRUCK SAT NAV 256MB RAM *2016 MAPS* for Lorry, HGV, UK VAT Reg Seller | eBay

HI
I used the smartnav in my A7300 but even when I told the operator it was a motor home it still took me down some tight roads, so I bought a SNIPER TRUCK SAT NAV. brilliant set up your vans dimensions speed, wight etc. Also has fuel stations, campsites,truck specific service centres inbuilt, has an FM modulator so the voice comes through your radio,etc. never taken me down a wrong un yet touch wood.

link for example.
SNIPER 7" TRUCK SAT NAV 256MB RAM *2016 MAPS* for Lorry, HGV, UK VAT Reg Seller | eBay

Be aware that you cannot load third party POIs, such as ours, onto Sniper devices ...

come on chris you met bob and me twice last year. neither of us have sat nav . is it really a thing we need ?
cant really see the need at all.
but if you do then hope your happy. hee ,hee.
no tolls ,no motorways , stay off dual carriage ways .only use the white roads on the mapamax , works for us . have fun, might catch this year if your out there . cheers alan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back