Sad event.

@wildebus Mine failed an HGV test not a class IV, had just collected the van without MOT so had it booked it in for one. being a dually even though all 6 tyres were 11 years old it only failed on the front two.

I had them replaced same day using a mobile tyre fitter, the HGV tester then removed the prohibition notice and passed the van.

I wasn’t sure if same rules applied to PHGV or not but it really ought to,

Ironically on getting home one of the rears had also failed and split at some point in the journey van now has 6 new tyres on it

@wildebus Mine failed an HGV test not a class IV, had just collected the van without MOT so had it booked it in for one. being a dually even though all 6 tyres were 11 years old it only failed on the front two.
The age rule only applies to Commercials, and only on the front wheels at that unless it is a 4 wheel minibus. I don't know if it would have mattered or not being a dually if an ex Ambulance?

I had them replaced same day using a mobile tyre fitter, the HGV tester then removed the prohibition notice and passed the van.

I wasn’t sure if same rules applied to PHGV or not but it really ought to,
They don't. There are plenty of rules that should be applicable to a wider range of vehicles but are not. There are also plenty of rules that DO apply to vehicles but are a nonsense to compensate.

Ironically on getting home one of the rears had also failed and split at some point in the journey van now has 6 new tyres on it

It depends on the age of vehicle and also if the seats are designated travel seats. I'm more interested as to why the steering locked and the brakes didn't work, twice I've had 'exploding' front tyres on a large rental van, had no problems bringing the vehicle to a safe and controlled stop.
flexi brake pipe damaged by tyre blowout = no brakes

flexi brake pipe damaged by tyre blowout = no brakes
Shouldn't be no brakes with modern dual circuit systems ....

You should have some braking ....

More likely Sudden loss of a front tyre has massively destabilising effect (certainly does when a rear goes ...from personal experience )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back