Sad event.

It depends on the age of vehicle and also if the seats are designated travel seats. I'm more interested as to why the steering locked and the brakes didn't work, twice I've had 'exploding' front tyres on a large rental van, had no problems bringing the vehicle to a safe and controlled stop.

It depends on the age of vehicle and also if the seats are designated travel seats. I'm more interested as to why the steering locked and the brakes didn't work, twice I've had 'exploding' front tyres on a large rental van, had no problems bringing the vehicle to a safe and controlled stop.
Before we left the EU there was going to be a law where all seats for travel would have to have a simble on them, this did not happen as makers could not work together to sort out, now we are out it has been lost in the midst of time, and no i would not carry anyone in the back behind me witout belts,
Why because at 30mph a person or child becomes the weight of a baby elephant flying at you, you would have almost no mission of servival.
But i see folks all the time with folk/kids in the back of cars with no belts arriving at schools and out shopping, bonkers.

My PVC had to have seat belt for the rear passenger seat or it would have failed it's IVA.
Are you in GB? no one needs to get IVAs after doing a Campervan Conversion - unless you are referring to a commercial conversion I guess. I would think the camper in question is a self-conversion.

A lot of MOT places would fail a camper with a rock & roll seat if it didn't have seatbelts fitted (down to rule interpretation) so the popular 'fix' was to simply put the rear seat into bed mode. No seatbelts needed on a bed.
And actually there is nothing wrong with doing that if you didn't have belts as plenty of people fit a R&R sear/bed to provide seating when camping and have no intention or need to have rear travel passengers.

Last edited:
Before we left the EU there was going to be a law where all seats for travel would have to have a simble on them, this did not happen as makers could not work together to sort out, now we are out it has been lost in the midst of time, and no i would not carry anyone in the back behind me witout belts,
Why because at 30mph a person or child becomes the weight of a baby elephant flying at you, you would have almost no mission of servival.
But i see folks all the time with folk/kids in the back of cars with no belts arriving at schools and out shopping, bonkers.
When I was young, my 'seat' on days out, being the youngest, was the boot space in a Vauxhall Viva Estate!

Years back i remember picking a chap of the road some 50ft in front of his car, a of duty police officer was asleep at the wheel comming from work, he crossed the road and hit a chap and passenger driving a hillman advenger, it was the passenger in that car that went out through the window and flew
over the car that hit them landing a distance up the road, yep no belt, some folk just have no idea what goes on in the real world around them.

unsecured weight flying around the place risking all the other occupants as well as themselves. I would want all secured as well for that reason.
That's assuming you are going fast enough to make unsecured weights an issue.
Big statement, no data.

you do what you want. I'll do what I want.
But If I ever happen to give you a lift anywhere, you put your seatbelt on or you get out.
I'm all for responsible choices. But in reality, the chances are, I'd be giving you a lift :p :LOL:

When I was a kid family transport was an old landrover, long journeys we had a couple of car seats in the back, notbolted in. My first vehicle was a mini van with no belts...had eleven in that once. Then cars had front belts, started of with static belts. I started to watch motor sport and see drivers walking away fromwrecks cos they were properly strapped in. When inertia belts came in I was sceptical , preferred a firm static belt. When I got round to thinking of step kids I went out and bought a set of rear belts for my car.
To my mind seat belts are a no brainer

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back