Rusty

1 Cup

So much rain over the weekend I got rusty bits.
Is this just sprinter rust or leak?
20200727_140047.jpg
20200727_140029.jpg

Thanks I rub down and paint as I've started laying 50mm kingspan on ceiling 1st one up .
But its 5 mm proud, so I've lost another bit of hight.

20200727_202558.jpg
20200727_202621.jpg
20200727_202628.jpg

I'd use Waxoyl or Dinitrol depends how much you are prepared to pay - for the joints and also use it inside the box section - the strenthening beams are spot welded on a lot of vehicles so you probabably have surface rust there as well out of sight

I'd use Waxoyl or Dinitrol depends how much you are prepared to pay - for the joints and also use it inside the box section - the strenthening beams are spot welded on a lot of vehicles so you probabably have surface rust there as well out of sight

Thanks I'll stop looking.
Lol

The clue is in the word COULD :rolleyes:
I don't know iff this applies to new Sprinters, but they were supplied in two states of paint.. One for people who didn't want to paint them in their companies colours (Like mine, which at 15 years old and 200,000 miles is solid, with hardly any rust, before I decided to have it painted in commercial resin based paint). One for companies who are going to paint it. This was almost a base paint, that was gloss. Much cheaper and most companies went for these, knowing they'd only be keeping the Van 4 or 5 years.These rust from almost day one. Mine is also solid underneath.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know iff this applies to new Sprinters, but they were supplied in two states of paint.. One for people who didn't want to paint them in their companies colours (Like mine, which at 15 years old and 200,000 miles is solid, with hardly any rust, before I decided to have it painted in commercial resin based paint). One for companies who are going to paint it. This was almost a base paint, that was gloss. Much cheaper and most companies went for these, knowing they'd only be keeping the Van 4 or 5 years.These rot from almost day one. Mine is also solid underneath.

Never heard that before, could be right though.

Most of this sprinter rust stuff is gossip by those that know their van won’t be on the road after 15 years and a few hundred thousand miles. :p :LOL:
Go look at used van websites, anything over 10/15 years and 400000 miles and Sprinters dominate the market by a huge margin.

If you have a very friendly Mercedes parts supplier they may be willing to supply you with the original build sheet for your van. With mine it appears there were different levels of corrosion protection and sound proofing. From memory I got the most basic of each.

If you have a very friendly Mercedes parts supplier they may be willing to supply you with the original build sheet for your van. With mine it appears there were different levels of corrosion protection and sound proofing. From memory I got the most basic of each.
I was told there were different engine grades as well. When mine goes in for its yearly service, the red plastic level indicator on the dipstick is clearly visible through the oil. Clean. Mind you I do Cane it's Spuds off in true Sprinter fashion. Nothing worse than Labouring an engine that's designed to travel at Warp speed.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to say dont agree with people knocking someones van down after asking for advise - if he waxoyls it it will give it a good protection especially underneath if he does the chassis and internal box sections

And check all the drain points yearly to make sure they are not bunged up. Door bottoms and sills. Don't block any holes up in box sections either. I sometimes have a mini gale blowing through mine when it's very windy, but at least I know the box sections are drying out. I haven't considered wax-oiling it yet, maybe next year.

Dont make waxoyl kits like they use to do you need to buy gun applicator and waxoyl separately or pay through the nose

Mine is Sprinter chassis cab but underside is no problem. Chassis cab is 15 years old now although it wasn’t put on the road till 18 months later.

Wow now ive stopped cry over my 2016 311 ive just fitted the floor all 25mm kingspan 38x25mm x3.5m batons front to rear 25 kingspan batons 38x25x 178 left to right and a very heavy 18mm planed ply.
Was going to use the spriner 9mm but at 50mm off metal the gaps are 30 mm upto 40mm.
So done this.

20200728_191705.jpg
20200728_191626.jpg
20200728_191658.jpg
20200728_191715.jpg
upto the low holes now

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back