Route to Portugal from south west france

Well, the same advice still holds good.
Come South, until the weather improves.
Good luck.

Or you could continue a bit further south from Salamanca to Caceres (old town is well worth a look), before heading south-west to cross the border at Badajoz, then on to Evora then Lisbon. You'd then still get the best of the west coast of Portugal but with more chance of a bit of warmth!

Or you could continue a bit further south from Salamanca to Caceres (old town is well worth a look), before heading south-west to cross the border at Badajoz, then on to Evora then Lisbon. You'd then still get the best of the west coast of Portugal but with more chance of a bit of warmth!
That sounds interesting. I wonder if the weather on the Atlantic coast will be favourable mid-January.

That sounds interesting. I wonder if the weather on the Atlantic coast will be favourable mid-January.
We were there this autumn and weather was better than on the Spanish Med! I think it's always going to be a matter of luck as well as keeping an eye on the forecasts.

We were there this autumn and weather was better than on the Spanish Med! I think it's always going to be a matter of luck as well as keeping an eye on the forecasts.
Yes, I think you are right - we'll keep our options open. Heading Armaçao de Pera. Anyone know the campsite ther? Not the football pitch - although we may pitch up there for a night or two for the beach and sea. Can't wait!

Thanks for all the advice!

There is a great camperstop at Gale close to Amacao which we prefer and might be worth checking out ?

There is a great camperstop at Gale close to Amacao which we prefer and might be worth checking out ?
Thanks for the suggestion. The ones I can see have no facilities. After driving down for several days fro Caen we would hope for a few home comforts. Have you got co-ordinates?

We are curently at Alvor Portugul parked in the date tree Road wild next to the big pay Aire. Which is looking pretty grim after a week of rain. Good news is that from tomorrow the sun is back and things are looking better. Just had a few nights at Lagos on the football Aire 3euros a night wet there too but hey ho so is the wine. About 60 vans there each night, and several others wild around the area. Merry christmas to all.

Thanks for the suggestion. The ones I can see have no facilities. After driving down for several days fro Caen we would hope for a few home comforts. Have you got co-ordinates?
N 37.09255, W 8.31141
N 37°05'33", W 8°18'41"

Parque de Gale, dont think you will be dissapointed

we arrived at Praia d Rocha today and are parked up with about 20 other vans at the wildcamping place at the western end of the beach road. Wall 2 Wall sun today lovely. Lots of vans moving about but few Brits so far. Had 7 nights wild at Alvor and 4 at Lagos so all good, plan to stay here till after New Year's Days weather predicted to be good beyond that too.
IMG_20191226_140635.jpg
IMG_20191228_125211.jpg

We left Calais on November 20 th 19 headed to Rouen then Dax crossed into Spain and headed for Santander for Carbarceno because we wanted to see the Elephants, used the free Aire there for 3 nights and took the van into the animal park 26 euros each had a great day and saw all the animals there is a chair lift to ride in over the park as many times as you like included in the price. Definitely take your van in as the park is huge and you could never walk round it in a day and see all the animals. The roads through France and Spain have been great no tolls used and we are now in Portugal on the Algarve after a slow drive through Portugal from the North, plenty of free aires and Wilding on route, a great trip so far, plan to be here till April maybe go into Spain later but no real plan, Happy New year to all.

we arrived at Praia d Rocha today and are parked up with about 20 other vans at the wildcamping place at the western end of the beach road. Wall 2 Wall sun today lovely. Lots of vans moving about but few Brits so far. Had 7 nights wild at Alvor and 4 at Lagos so all good, plan to stay here till after New Year's Days weather predicted to be good beyond that too. View attachment 75375View attachment 75376
looks great have a nice time,ok pj p.s. moor picks please, and keep the weather going. thanks

A long route but worth a try. Stay on the north Spanish coast all the way to the end at A Caruna, free parking by the Tower of Hercules. Then work your way down the coast to Portugal. A lot of people miss this coast out because of the fiddly nature of the way down to Portugal but are missing out on some really nice places.

A long route but worth a try. Stay on the north Spanish coast all the way to the end at A Caruna, free parking by the Tower of Hercules. Then work your way down the coast to Portugal. A lot of people miss this coast out because of the fiddly nature of the way down to Portugal but are missing out on some really nice places.
It sounds fantastic but I would prefer to do the coastal route when it is not winter. At this time of year my objective is to find some warmer, drier weather as soon as possible:). Currently half way down France from St Malo. For tomorrow I am being tempted by a campsite that is not only open but has a heated, covered pool! Alternatively, a car park in the nearby town of Urrunge.

It sounds fantastic but I would prefer to do the coastal route when it is not winter. At this time of year my objective is to find some warmer, drier weather as soon as possible:). Currently half way down France from St Malo. For tomorrow I am being tempted by a campsite that is not only open but has a heated, covered pool! Alternatively, a car park in the nearby town of Urrunge.
We will be heading to Biriatou for tomorrow night, just below Tours tonight. Bit damp and misty today!

Well we have taken five days to get to the Algarve from Caen. We went from the French border to Valladolid via Salamanca and the shorter way across to Portugal. At that point we abandoned the motorways as we had had enough of them! Thanks for all your suggestions. We are now in the ACSI campsite at Armacão de Pera and happy to be staying put for a few days. We have normally stayed at Mikki's place but fancied being closer to the sea - may swim if the temperature rises to 18° again as it did today!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back