Route to Portugal from south west france

Robina

This year we are not sailing to Santander or Bilbao en route to Portugal but sailing Portsmouth to St Malo and driving down the Atlantic coast to the Spanish border. The anxiety of crossing the Bay of Biscay in the first week of January has finally overcome the convenience factor! What I would like information about is the best route from the French border across to Portugal. I was thinking about going diagonally across to Burgos, Vallodolid, Salamanca and into Portugal near Guardia. My worry is that Vallodolid seems to be right in the middle of a high plain or mountain range. It looks as if we could take main roads all the way and these may be kept open in winter.

Does anyone have any experience of this route in winter? Should it be avoided? In the past we have gone further west via León and into Portugal near Chaves. A change would be interesting. Any advice appreciated.

We drove from France to Spain in early February this year then followed most of that route through Spain, though we went to Porto from Valladolid.
All roads were clear and had been for a while.

We were impressed with Burgos when we passed through this year. Well worth a couple of days.

The Spanish seem very good at keeping the roads clear. I used to drive Caen to Seville every other week throughout the year and was always impressed by the number of snow clearing vehicles about.

We were impressed with Burgos when we passed through this year. Well worth a couple of days.
Beautiful city! We spent three days but could easily have stayed longer.

We do this route annually, usually in January, never had a problem even when it had been quite bad snow. A couple of long stretches of fairly blank road through plains...watch out for the storks...real and fake, also a few multicolored cows!

We normally sail to Santander mid January with the Bay of Biscay like a mill pond, I suppose we’ve been lucky.
Came back once in October & the crossing was terrible.
Going down this way cuts out the dreadful drive through France at that time of year.
As mentioned, you’ll find the main roads across the top of Spain OK, the Spanish seem much better at clearing roads than the French.
One January we went over the Cantabrian mountains 🏔 thinking of a short cut to Logroño, we found the roads drivable but couldn’t stop as the snow was piled 5ft high on the verges.
In January we keep well away from Portugal & head straight for southern Spain & if the weather is crap there, jump on a ferry to Morocco.

You get good advice on here.
If you're planning to visit that Algarve, it might be better to go straight down the motorway to Seville and then cross at Villa Real.
Do the Northern parts on your way back, when the Weather could be better.

The route you suggest is the main trunking route to and from Lisbon and Porto.
Should snow come, it would be cleared quickly and at least have priority
I have used this rd frequently at all times of the year
Don't forget, you have your bed, kitchen and toilet with you, so a short delay shouldn't be a problem
thanks for your help and you help ok pj ps they are grea-a-t ,.

Hi PaulJenny,
We are heading over to your arena after the New Year, departing UK on 10th. Would you like some ENGLISH goodies brought to you?

The route you suggest is the main trunking route to and from Lisbon and Porto.
Should snow come, it would be cleared quickly and at least have priority
I have used this rd frequently at all times of the year
Don't forget, you have your bed, kitchen and toilet with you, so a short delay shouldn't be a problem
great will try a bit later, and thanks. ok pj retford merry chrismas.

You get good advice on here.
If you're planning to visit that Algarve, it might be better to go straight down the motorway to Seville and then cross at Villa Real.
Do the Northern parts on your way back, when the Weather could be better.
We're going back up the east coast of Spain or would do that.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back