Roadside Memorials

• Thread starter Deleted member 2636
  • Start date

Deleted member 2636

Roadside memorials, doncha just hate them? Nasty bits of tacky chav sentiment for some one who most never even knew

Well, if you must indulge in this past-time there is a company out there just for you

Roadside Memorials

memorials

i am not to pleased in what you said about road side memorials my youngest son was killed on A 64 york road flyover in leeds in a r. t. a .he was 24 me and his freinds put flowers at the scene of his death . i cant see what is wrong with what i do. its not harming any one its our way of showing respect for my dead son and others that have had there life cut short in a tragic way . i asume its not happend to you. and i hope it dosnt it hurts .

Last edited:
i am not to pleased in what you said about road side memorials my youngest son was killed on A 64 york road flyover in leeds in a r. t. a .he was 24 me and his freinds put flowers at the scene of his death . i cant see what is wrong with what i do. its not harming any one its our way of showing respect for my dead son and others that have had there life cut short in a tragic way . i asume its not happend to you. and i hope it dosnt it hurts .

You have my deepest sympathy, My son is 24 and I can't bear to think how I would feel if in your shoes at such a tragic time......... and what is chav about it anyway...... are we going to say next that cenotaphs are militaristic ornamentation?

My deepest sympathy Blenkinsop. When something tragic as this happens, it is only human and respectfull to keep the memory alive.
However I can understand Baloo, for no one knows what tragedy is lying behind it. This roadside memorials could only be a token of respect and a warning to all to be carefull. And I think they go deeper than an advertisement of washing powder or whatever. And in most of the cases it are the autorities to blame for not making the place safer for everyone.

memorials

thanks tresrikey. burying my son was the hardest thing ive ever had to do and these goody good people who put crap like that on sites have no respect for the dead. as i said i hope it never happens to them . they disgust me

I'm always saddened when I pass the memorials and there are far too many of them (not in the wrong way), just such a waste of so many lives and the grief that families and friends suffer.

My only wish is that people dont create memorials outside someone's house. Not far from us is a memorial on the grass strip in front of a house where two people were killed when they hit a tree at very high speed. The home owners were first on the scene and had to deal with an horrific accident, for them the trauma of the accident (2 or 3 years ago) was very real and remains with them. They coped with things on the night, but now it is just a continuing nightmare for them. They have to relive that night every time they leave or arrive at their home.

They have asked the family/friends to stop, and explained why, but as yet there has been no response.

The families have the memories of the kids alive and well, the home owners have only memories of shattered and dismembered bodies.

As in all things with human feelings there is always two sides.

My apologies if anyone takes offence, but I'm just trying to put another viewpoint, personally I just wish that there was never the need to place memorials at all.

Im so sorry to read about your son Blenkinsop, I lost my dad to a hit and run, Im sure the chap who posted the thread feels abit stupid now, and wouldnt of thought of the upset he may have caused, I always think of the loss when I pass flowers at the road side.

Regards Tom

You have my heartfelt sympathy, ra blenkinsop: such a dreadful tragedy. We lost our son in law in the same way: the waste of a young life just hits you so hard, and the placing of flowers at the scene does help in some way. I wished later, though, that we'd taken all the plastic wrappings off but we never thought about it at the time.

Roadside memorials, doncha just hate them? Nasty bits of tacky chav sentiment for some one who most never even knew

Well, if you must indulge in this past-time there is a company out there just for you

Roadside Memorials

Baloothebear
I find this post and especially the attachment to be in very bad taste, have you ever been involved in or assisted at a fatal RTA ?, i think not or you would not be so heartless.

cannot see any wrong in placing a few flowers at the scene of a terrible loss, it shows respect to the victim and respect to the family of the victim. the trouble is there is very little respect left nowadays lets not lose the respect for the dead or all is lost to all who have lost loved ones in tragic circumstances god bless especially this time of year.........

just looked at the video its beyond contempt but thats the yanks for you disgusted :mad::mad::mad:

Disgusted.

Have you any feeling for people who has losted love ones.

You post this a few days before Christmas when people are most vulnerable.

Thank God it has not happen to you.

I think BALOOTHEBEAR should apologize to all the people who has erected roadside memorials.[Me included]

may be this french idea would also act as a tempoary memorial
many have lost loved ones in road accidents
some people DO have to mourn ... let them mourn in peace! please

In France they've found a unique way of honouring the victims of road deaths using silhouettes.

Jean-Pierre Giraud, an artist, designed some roadside silhouettes after his son was killed on the road.

Accident blackspot - silhouette signs for safety
Each silhouette represents a tragedy of a broken family, and when people are driving along it makes them realise it's a dangerous route.

The silhouettes are put up for a month where people have been killed - campaigners say they're making the roads safer.

The local highways department erect the silhouettes, and it doesn't ask for permission from the families, as Philippe Lermine from the French Department of Transport explains:

"At first we thought families would object, but the opposite is true, I've had people ring me up to say, 'you have forgotten my son who was killed'.

"Other areas have taken up the idea, and other countries too. The silhouettes have become a symbol for road safety."

"The number of road deaths has been brought down, and some attribute this fall to the signs.

"We have brought down the number of road deaths from 8 to 5,000 and I am certain that the silhouettes are part of that success."

Pardon

And his silence is deafening......:mad:

As far as I know Baloo, he couldn't realise at all the full significance of his posting towards others who suffered a real loss ( I think he is in reality more like a tender teddy-bear) .So, friends, let him off the pillory; for tomorow it is X-mas after all. Don't be harsh with him, let's forgive and forget, he is not a bad guy after all (maybe a clumsy bear, but aren't we all ?) :)

a sample of the french warning sign

n6photo1.jpg

I was one who was very hurt by what was written. Its hard enough to come to terms with the death of our son, but to read tripe like that is disgusting.

I'm big enough to come on here and say that some people post things without thinking, myself included.
So I'm saying in view of the season, I'm willing to let it pass.
I only hope he will never have to go through the pain of losing a loved one.

To all who will have a empty chair at their table this Christmas. Hope you get through the day. All the best for 2009.

i dont have an opinion one way or the other
as to whys and wherefores of these tributes
the only thing i would like to see
is the flowers removed from the poly/plastic sleeves
before placing at the roadside
and replaced when they are past their best

please i would hate to offend over such maters
so accept my apologies if you should be offended

memorials

I was one who was very hurt by what was written. Its hard enough to come to terms with the death of our son, but to read tripe like that is disgusting.

I'm big enough to come on here and say that some people post things without thinking, myself included.
So I'm saying in view of the season, I'm willing to let it pass.
I only hope he will never have to go through the pain of losing a loved one.

To all who will have a empty chair at their table this Christmas. Hope you get through the day. All the best for 2009.

i to agree with you and i wish you all the best for 2009 .and our memories of our loved ones dearly departed sons will get us through. thanks allan

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back