Ridgemonkey gas help BBQ point

st3v3

I've bought a ridgemonkey grilla that would normally be used with a small screw type gas canister (EN417)

I'd like to use it with an external BBQ point of the van. Anyone done anything similar?

The connection to the gas canister has a control valve for adjusting the flame size, but is it a regulator as well? If I fed that from the regulated van supply I'm guessing it wouldn't work, but does anyone know for sure?

20221008_200834.jpg
20221008_200843.jpg

Here’s a ridgemonkey Grilla working from a gas cylinder. So I would reckon it would work from a Barrie point.

Attachments

• 61fyhYEjLRL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    61fyhYEjLRL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 61eVK8JtnUL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    61eVK8JtnUL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Good luck lol.

I had to resort to eBay second hand. I got the griddle plate new though.

They still have them on the RidgeMonkey website Steve. I followed the link to their dealers and this place is still advertising them;

One od the tackle websites says in stock, but they refunded saying they can't get it. I'm struggling to find which one though...

...looking again though, that is for pre-order.
They’re excellent Rob, I have had one for years. I used to use it for cooking when fishing. I have never used it on the Motorhome though.
Cameron McNiesh has done several videos on them.

Assuming there is an on/off valve at the van outlet would it be possible to connect without the regulator for a test?
I have a bbq which was a canister type and works fine straight from the van after modification.

If I knew how to write a big long disclaimer about any advice given it would follow this:ROFLMAO:

They’re excellent Rob, I have had one for years. I used to use it for cooking when fishing. I have never used it on the Motorhome though.
Cameron McNiesh has done several videos on them.

I've used one of those since they first came out Bill and yes usually for fishing.

But this is what I am after now;

My Bbq outlet shuts off whem the feed to my Bbq is disconnected.
My Bbq feed used the van regulator but ,of course, the bbq itself has a control valve.
I would look to attach such a valve to the device and feed said control valve directly from the bbq point.
So the gas feed is regulated and the bbq has its own "volume" control (pun intended).
I will borrow the disclaimer !

I've used one of those since they first came out Bill and yes usually for fishing.

But this is what I am after now;

I am sure I saw someone using one of these connected to his gas outlet Rob. It was 2-3 years ago. I cannot remember where or if I was on a site or not, but I am sure his was connected. I will rack my brains and try to remember.

I am sure I saw someone using one of these connected to his gas outlet Rob. It was 2-3 years ago. I cannot remember where or if I was on a site or not, but I am sure his was connected. I will rack my brains and try to remember.

It's Steve who asked the question Bill, but I would be interested as I have a BBQ gas outlet on the side of my van.

I like the fact that it packs down so small and I will be able to carry it easily in the panniers on my motorbike along with a couple of gas cannisters. RidgeMonkey as you know make some great gear and like you I discovered them through my love of fishing, they are a bit on the expensive side but you usually only have to buy once.

Bit of bad news.

The ridgemonkey BBQ is compatable with EN417 which means it requires gas at high pressure.

The BBQ point supplies gas that has flowed via your MoHo regulator and is, therefore at low pressure.

There are many attachments to convert a high pressure supply to produce a low pressure output.

I m not aware of a method to convert a low pressure supply (which you have) to a high pressure (which you require).

I think your best solution is to buy more EN417s.

Bit of bad news.

The ridgemonkey BBQ is compatable with EN417 which means it requires gas at high pressure.

The BBQ point supplies gas that has flowed via your MoHo regulator and is, therefore at low pressure.

I can probably get rid of the RM regulator, and use an inline control valve for flame control, but it's all seeming a bit much... I'll see how we get on with cartriges.

Why not contact Ridgemonkey

Cheers, but I can't see them endorsing any mods whatsoever from a safety point of view.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back