Repatriation to UK

Feedback…
If necessary MH insurer Confort/Aviva will happily repatriate us and the van, although vague about whether it may count as a claim for NCB.
Nationwide breakdown (AA) only if insurers don’t cover it…maybe, at their discretion.
NW travel insurance will gladly repatriate us and will cover any medical and personal travel costs but not the van, and no impact on future premiums. So there’s a solution there somewhere.
Nobody will venture an opinion on what happens if delayed beyond our 90 Schengen days.
Have to wait and see now.

A friend tried to extend her 90 day stay. Van repair. Insurers wanted to fly her, but she has a dog.
She had to get a letter from the garage. Took that to the Mairie, who have her another letter. Police, who make the decision, said NO. Apparently, it is down to their mood on the day.
She went back to the Mairie, who pressurised the garage into pulling their finger out and then she raced for Calais. 9 hrs spare!

I’m sat waiting again in A&E in Bergerac. Lower right arm broken (hairline) in two places…apparently I’ve been driving for three weeks like this…no wonder it was sore!
They say they want to plaster or immobilise it. Depending on how they do it I may not be able to drive. Not enough Schengen time left to stay 6 weeks to need to consider getting home.
Has any one got any experience with Nationwide Travel Insurance and breakdown / Comfort Van insurance for recovery back to UK when only driver cannot drive?

Many moons ago, after an wrist break accident, a self employed landscaper colleague of mine had a light metal plate added to his wrist to elbow plaster. The plate extended to be parallel with the palm and fingers to enable him to grip items, including the Pick Up steering wheel i.e back to two hands at the wheel.
I have seen a door knob (there could be a commercial adaption) added to the steering wheel for one handed drivers. Disability Societies will have experience of the situation. Informing/asking Insurance and DVLA might help; they will have experience of your predicament.
Clearly car insurance would be an issue; ask them about using any driving solution; but needs must if you have to carry on working or to get home.

Comfort (Aviva) would have transported us and the van back home…albeit separately. Both they and the doctor were quite firm…no driving whilst plaster still on…with or without knobs on! It would be illegal and uninsured unless I was registered as disabled.

However, went to the hospital on Thursday, much surprised that they said the plaster can come off already, which it now is. Still stiff and painful though. Only short local drives recommended yet, but can set off home next week, which should enable us to head slowly home in gentle hops spread over 10 days, and still make it to our booked crossing.
Had to move the van up out of the campsite up to the reception office car park above last night as the river is threatening to climb out of the river.

Comfort (Aviva) would have transported us and the van back home…albeit separately. Both they and the doctor were quite firm…no driving whilst plaster still on…with or without knobs on! It would be illegal and uninsured unless I was registered as disabled.

However, went to the hospital on Thursday, much surprised that they said the plaster can come off already, which it now is. Still stiff and painful though. Only short local drives recommended yet, but can set off home next week, which should enable us to head slowly home in gentle hops spread over 10 days, and still make it to our booked crossing.
Had to move the van up out of the campsite up to the reception office car park above last night as the river is threatening to climb out of the river.
Worthwhile getting an elasticated support bandage ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:209)

barryd, Bouydog, ewen, guerdeval, Steve and Julie, Alberto, maingate, Robmac, clarkpeacock, oppy, mark61, 2cv, bdastu, izwozral, alcam, jeffmossy, trooper2000, colinm, TeamRienza, groyne, korky, UFO, AllanD, davep10000, TJBi, yorkslass, Nabsim, Neckender, RSD7a, r4dent, alwaysared, chrishunter, Charlynch, Jo001, mariesnowgoose, jagmanx, Old Man Down, number14, Makzine, Pauljenny, pamjon, Heppy, Canalsman, RichardHelen262, ajb70, runnach, witzend, Glass man, Scotia, Biggarmac, Tonybvi, JVG, mistericeman, st3v3, belbri, wildebus, andyjanet, zzr1400tim, Val54, SimonM, merl, landie50, saxonborg, Trotter, caledonia, jacquigem, Caz, kevlakes, Topmast, Drover, Fazerloz, maxsdad, rugbyken, DTF, Tim120, CHAIRMAN, Budgie, GinaRon, trevskoda, jeanette, gypo, campervanannie, hamsterberg27, ricc, Chip, yeoblade, myvanwy, Wully, Gasdave, Livotlout, neilmac, RoaminRog, vwalan, Ted, Greengrass, denmar, Norfolk NewBoy, GMJ, Pudsey Bear, Dezi, Moonraker 2, Buzzard, iampatman, terrywolf, Lee, 1 Cup, harrow, walpeter, Borders2, QFour, molly 2, Cass, Tartarus, Mandoman, wints, peejay, Boris7, The Jacks, fiona b, Twithooks, Fifer, nitram, roady987, Clunegapyears, Debs, Andys, winks, RichardP, davef, Adriafan, ladyhamilton, chrisjanvan, Handel10, Helzie, mick n jules, Mossystone, Rong, n brown, Debroos, ton27, lthoel2, artb, Tezza33, 4Corners, Rumour, ArDachaidh, scaley, dvla3336, trixie88, Peter51, Dads Train, jimbohorlicks, Dougbobbill, Bazza1509, jann, RegnVal, stonedaddy, Mikecoo, Northumborman, Lib, sdjksx, Rutaria, roadroamer, vindiboy, motorhomeboy, carthago, bjh, Owlhouse, TrishAndyHolt, alca, A KIRK, Doddy6, Victor, kingfisher1, KMH, ozzy1955, Rond, Rapido9, tobym, 11ALB, cooperman, Chasn, REC, Juan39, Eriba, Welshscot, Gerry Attrick, AnneL, Otter1959, Harrytherid, V1nny, Mobilvetta, slade, Sharon the Cat, smg, beepsting, MrU, NudeJude, Canonball, AlynRuth, iandsm, MartinFife, MrKenny, helmit, 1807truckman, andyt362, Owen M, Quiddle, Pete morgan,
Back