Repatriation to UK

barge1914

I’m sat waiting again in A&E in Bergerac. Lower right arm broken (hairline) in two places…apparently I’ve been driving for three weeks like this…no wonder it was sore!
They say they want to plaster or immobilise it. Depending on how they do it I may not be able to drive. Not enough Schengen time left to stay 6 weeks to need to consider getting home.
Has any one got any experience with Nationwide Travel Insurance and breakdown / Comfort Van insurance for recovery back to UK when only driver cannot drive?

Can't help on the insurance side but very sorry to hear this has happened to you. I would just suggest you call them and let them know you need their assistance.

I’m sat waiting again in A&E in Bergerac. Lower right arm broken (hairline) in two places…apparently I’ve been driving for three weeks like this…no wonder it was sore!
They say they want to plaster or immobilise it. Depending on how they do it I may not be able to drive. Not enough Schengen time left to stay 6 weeks to need to consider getting home.
Has any one got any experience with Nationwide Travel Insurance and breakdown / Comfort Van insurance for recovery back to UK when only driver cannot drive?
Apologies not nationwide but did contact my insurance a few years ago when I thought I wouldn't be able to drive home . They were very reassuring , seemed pretty straightforward to them . Even my dog would have been taken care of .
Perhaps shouldn't say it but you would probably be alright to drive with lower right arm in plaster ?

You are allowed to overstay with a valid reason and you have certainly got one!
If you need to get back to the UK then it is your travel insurer to sort out.
Good luck Ian and a speedy mend.

The main thing is to contact the insurers and discuss options.
and to keep them up to date with what is happening.

When my wife was ill and we were medevaced from the ferry to Bilbao hospital many many options were discussed including me flying home; collecting the MoHo from Portsmouth and my wife flying home later.

The insuers and I discussed many plans and they were happy to fork out for whatever I decided.
I opted to stay in Spain until she was discharged and make a decision then.

When she was discharged the insurers there were no ferry places available for over a month.

After talking to BF and my insurers,that I would drive the MoHo back to the UK via the Tunnel.
BF returned the MoHo to Spain and stored it in their security area FOC.

My insurers paid for me to take a taxi to collect the van; Fuel and tolls for me to travel through France and the Tunnel fees.
They would have paid site fees but I just used aires.

We were with Safeguard.
Over the years they paid for 3 repatriations .
They were brilliant and covered everything..
The AA has an operation centre in France., who coordinated everything there.
Good luck, it's all part of the adventure

I would consider seriously staying until it's resolved, assuming you cannot drive. You are likely to get better treatment for one thing rather than relying on the overstretched NHS.

I cannot imagine that there would be any issue on return with the French border control people. Get the hospital to provide a letter confirming your injury and treatment dates. Present this with your passport when you return and smile nicely...

What a great opportunity to extend your trip and enjoy decent weather etc!

Do you have a relative who can fly out and drive it back for you? If your stuck and need to get back I have a few days left on my 90 so could fly out and drink your red for you on the way back🍷

I would have done this too, but for the stupid W word...

I want to retire lol

Any update Ian?
Now plastered from wrist to half way up upper arm. ‘Do not attempt to drive’! However as healing process will have already started Doc reckons that subject to x-ray and review in 10 days it may be able to come off in 3 weeks which would just give us a week to drive to Calais for our booked crossing, with a further weeks leeway for the 90 days. Fingers crossed ( just about possible!). Meanwhile discuss fallback plan with insurers.

I raised the question of one driver being incapacitated and was TOLD VERBALLY that the other driver might be too traumatised to drive so the breakdown cover (NationWide) would not insist on it. Fortunately that never came to pass.

Good luck - Gordon

Now plastered from wrist to half way up upper arm. ‘Do not attempt to drive’! However as healing process will have already started Doc reckons that subject to x-ray and review in 10 days it may be able to come off in 3 weeks which would just give us a week to drive to Calais for our booked crossing, with a further weeks leeway for the 90 days. Fingers crossed ( just about possible!). Meanwhile discuss fallback plan with insurers.

Good luck (y)

That does not sound as bad as you first thought. Enjoy your enforced visit to Bergerac.

If you can get out to QUEYSSAC 10km from the hospital free Aire and a nice restaurant first class

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:199)

barryd, Bouydog, ewen, guerdeval, Steve and Julie, Alberto, maingate, Robmac, clarkpeacock, oppy, mark61, 2cv, bdastu, izwozral, alcam, jeffmossy, trooper2000, colinm, TeamRienza, groyne, korky, UFO, AllanD, davep10000, TJBi, yorkslass, Nabsim, Neckender, RSD7a, r4dent, alwaysared, chrishunter, Charlynch, Jo001, mariesnowgoose, jagmanx, Old Man Down, number14, Makzine, Pauljenny, pamjon, Heppy, Canalsman, RichardHelen262, ajb70, runnach, witzend, Glass man, Scotia, Biggarmac, Tonybvi, JVG, mistericeman, st3v3, belbri, wildebus, andyjanet, zzr1400tim, Val54, SimonM, merl, landie50, saxonborg, Trotter, caledonia, jacquigem, Caz, kevlakes, Topmast, Drover, Fazerloz, maxsdad, rugbyken, DTF, Tim120, CHAIRMAN, Budgie, GinaRon, trevskoda, jeanette, gypo, campervanannie, hamsterberg27, ricc, Chip, yeoblade, myvanwy, Wully, Gasdave, Livotlout, neilmac, RoaminRog, vwalan, Ted, Greengrass, denmar, Norfolk NewBoy, GMJ, Pudsey Bear, Dezi, Moonraker 2, Buzzard, iampatman, terrywolf, Lee, 1 Cup, harrow, walpeter, Borders2, QFour, molly 2, Cass, Tartarus, Mandoman, wints, peejay, Boris7, The Jacks, fiona b, Twithooks, Fifer, nitram, roady987, Clunegapyears, Debs, Andys, winks, RichardP, davef, Adriafan, ladyhamilton, chrisjanvan, Handel10, Helzie, mick n jules, Mossystone, Rong, n brown, Debroos, ton27, lthoel2, artb, Tezza33, 4Corners, Rumour, ArDachaidh, scaley, dvla3336, trixie88, Peter51, Dads Train, jimbohorlicks, Dougbobbill, Bazza1509, jann, RegnVal, stonedaddy, Mikecoo, Northumborman, Lib, sdjksx, Rutaria, roadroamer, vindiboy, motorhomeboy, carthago, bjh, Owlhouse, TrishAndyHolt, alca, A KIRK, Doddy6, Victor, kingfisher1, KMH, ozzy1955, Rond, Rapido9, tobym, 11ALB, cooperman, Chasn, REC, Juan39, Eriba, Welshscot, Gerry Attrick, AnneL, Otter1959, Harrytherid, V1nny, Mobilvetta, slade, Sharon the Cat, smg, beepsting, MrU, NudeJude, Canonball,
Back