Reminiscing

I've enjoyed searching back through the old posts, this is the oldest that I've found https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/13-new-motorhomes.html?highlight=Wild
Starting from scratch must have been difficult. From what I can see membership started to increase rapidly towards the end of 2005, with a few very regular contributors who no longer are members. By mid 2006 the thousand member barrier was broken, I think that's when I first started looking at the forum.
An interesting poll from a few years later https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...ildcamping-get-togethers.html?highlight=Meets

There was a lovely old chap with the forum name of Guernsey Donkey. John has not posted fr a long time and I fear the worst for him. He would be getting on for 80 (or even older) and had a few health problems. I always looked forward to his posts.

Aw I remember Guernsey Donkey well... he was the very first person to welcome me to the forum when I did my introductory post, so not a name I'd forget. I do hope he's OK and causing mischief somewhere.

There may be other ways, but one way is to enter a word in the search, then go to the last page of results, they are normally in chronological order.

tried this. put a word in search.....took me to a page which looked like a form filling page...........played around with it......ie

back posts , it gave me the option of going back one year, t mnth etc...........i am now STUMPED.......

nothing in chronological orrder..????????

tried this. put a word in search.....took me to a page which looked like a form filling page...........played around with it......ie

back posts , it gave me the option of going back one year, t mnth etc...........i am now STUMPED.......

Try here for a start then work back through the pages...

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/index1050.html

Seem to be some of the earliest posts in the motor Home chat section.

Looks like there’s a lady member jann member no 27 still on forum still posting that’s the oldest full memeber I’ve seen still actively posting

roifromnwales appears to have been the most prolific early poster, wonder what happened to him.

I think its a case of making sure there's no user name, that the box says "and older", the top boxes are ticked and the order is correct. If the first search word is not successful try another word, then work you way to the last page number. I've found it most interesting to see how posting has evolved since the forum began.

I've enjoyed searching back through the old posts, this is the oldest that I've found https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/13-new-motorhomes.html?highlight=Wild
Starting from scratch must have been difficult. From what I can see membership started to increase rapidly towards the end of 2005, with a few very regular contributors who no longer are members. By mid 2006 the thousand member barrier was broken, I think that's when I first started looking at the forum.
An interesting poll from a few years later https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...ildcamping-get-togethers.html?highlight=Meets

Bill you can still actually vote on that poll from 2007 lol

Must say I have enjoyed reading the replies to this thread and also the pointers to early threads, fascinating stuff so far.
Different attitudes to Wilding in the early days of this forum. I prefer the solitude to I prefer company.
Making for some good reading and informative.
Thanks for the pointers to the threads and also the search capabilities of the site.

Edit:-
reading through some early posts is a bit of an education. Really enjoying it.

Last edited:
I'm still here, if my memory serves me the site goes back before 2004 & I think it disappeared a couple of times. Must be one of the oldest motorhome forums but definitely the best one around.

Memories

Many, many years ago there were no poi’s to upload, it was all done manually. I remember printing out the threads for wilding spots in Scotland then working out where they were on a map (yes those printed things). The logo was different back then, I think I still have the file (still don’t chuck anything away).

I think Phil had a problem with the server back then. I cannot recall whether data was lost.

The real test is how many can recall his smart car forum?

Jon

Member numbers

Back in 2006 Jann was member 25, they are now 27. Does that mean Admin and Tess are imposters? Therefore who are the real first members.
Jon

I have come and gone over the years but was on the 1st informal meet it was a wedding meet at Gretna Green in May 2005 there was a couple of us from here and the others were from the Bedfofrd forum, unfortunately the pictures are no longer available but the write up of the events are still there.

Last edited:
That would be roifromnwales he used to be a prolific poster in the early days, did have an invite but couldn't make it, think he invited people from lots of different forums. Did go on a Beford rally at Carrog, Roi along with a lot of the other members of the Bedford forum who were there were an 'interesting' crowd to say the least. Had the embarrassment of having to have an old Bedford CF pull my home converted Renault Traffic out of what must have been the only soft bit of the field.
Wonder what ever happened to Roi, also another character who tried everybody's patience was George Teford. Think he got banned from most Forums even this one, Phil was probably the most tolerant of the forum moderators but I think even he had to ban George eventually.

Found a link to the Gretna Wedding meet Gretna Meet

Last edited:
Shame the pictures are no longer available what a motley crew we looked

I'm still here, if my memory serves me the site goes back before 2004 & I think it disappeared a couple of times. Must be one of the oldest motorhome forums but definitely the best one around.

I have found one of my posts from November 2004

Gretna wedding......what a lovely interesting read......need ,more of these stories........tank u kontiki for bringing this up......could not find the photos tho,,,, .....

That would be roifromnwales he used to be a prolific poster in the early days, did have an invite but couldn't make it, think he invited people from lots of different forums. Did go on a Beford rally at Carrog, Roi along with a lot of the other members of the Bedford forum who were there were an 'interesting' crowd to say the least. Had the embarrassment of having to have an old Bedford CF pull my home converted Renault Traffic out of what must have been the only soft bit of the field.
Wonder what ever happened to Roi, also another character who tried everybody's patience was George Teford. Think he got banned from most Forums even this one, Phil was probably the most tolerant of the forum moderators but I think even he had to ban George eventually.

Found a link to the Gretna Wedding meet Gretna Meet
Mrs seamus and I attended his reception somewhere in Argyle I think, may have been near Tighnabruaich, it was down a farm track, there were some wild lookin hoors putting a pig in a fire pit, there was salmon and other wild game stuff wrapped in tin foil, I remember thinking at the time 'feck that, that is gonna turn my arse into a karcher pressure washer. In any event the bold Rio broke down somewhere near Loch Lomond, we could not wait so we left a couple of cases of Belgian beer a bottle of jamesons, hope they enjoyed it.
seamus

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back