Refillable systems?

alwaysared

Okay after seeing these mentioned in various threads on here I've decided to look into them. There seems to be three main ones, Gasit, Gasflow and Safefill.
The Safefill look to be lighter but they don't seem as easy to fill as the other two brands. Space isn't a problem as I can get two 13kg Calor bottles in my locker.
So what system do you use and why?
Do they use a standard propane (red) regulator?

Regards,
Del

I have a GasIt system which is excellent. You use the standard propane regulator.

GasIt offer a discount to our members, and actively support the website through donation of prizes.

So please support GasIt if purchasing such a system :D

These are sold here £155 cash or £24 posted ,there 13.5 size.

Attachments

• refill gas.jpg
    refill gas.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 155
We have a gasit system and as we overwinter in the Algarve in the van I am sure I have got my money back especially as our first van was gas only for water and heating. Built in systems are designed to work with the now standard bulkhead regulators, if you are using something else talk to your chosen supplier. I found Gasit very helpful. If at all possible go for an external filler one it makes your life easier, and it tends to stop jobs worth attendants getting carried away. If you have any plumbing experience it is quite easy though as well as the leak test fluid I would recomend an eltronic gas detector, they really do pick up very small traces of gas.

I went for a gasit underslung tank which freed up locker space.I used gasit for price but also their site offered some sound advice and also helpful videos.
GAS IT technical support and frequently asked questions section for anything to do with refillable gas systems for caravans, motorhomes, farriers, road repair companies, - GAS IT Leisure Gas Bottles, Gas Cylincers and Gas Tanks - Catering, Motorhome,
The popular fill point is probably the recessed box but I chose to make up a bracket and mount a straight fill point just under my back bumper beside the spare wheel.I also fitted a BBQ adapter at the same time.
Never looked back with good availability of lpg oulets all over europe.

I have a safe fill bottle its very light .. i find it ok to fill ..bit inconvenient removing it to fill ..filled it today 16ltr about £8..

I went for the autogas leisure 2000 system sourced from near Thirsk. Very helpful.
Bought just one cylinder and the external fill kit, fitted easily within half an hour. One of the best things I have bought for the van. Just about recouped the cost.
Highly recommended

I had a safefill one off ebay sent it back as my nearest filling point according to safefill was 40 miles away in Chichester I live in Brighton
luckly I got me money back now have gasit

apparently you cant plum safefill bottles in to a vehicule like gasit and gaslow I took it to my local bp autogas station to fill and got told off

Last edited:
Another fan of Gas It here. Fill up whenever you see lpg on a forecourt, so so simple!!

Gasit for me, worth every penny for convenience and happy to support those that support the forum.

If you can, speak to Warren at Gas It for your advice, but beware, don't order anything unless you want to take delivery the very next day. Their service is second to none!
Don't forget that if you are a Full Member, you can have a handsome discount!

I can only second all the good comments made about Gas-it.

Brilliant piece of kit and second-to-none service.

I have 1 gasit 11kg with a filler mounted inside the gas locker I have never had any problems when filling. The best thing for me is knowing that when I go away the gas can be filled at the same time I fill the diesel so not changed a bottle in 2 years.

2 X 6kg Gas It with in locker fill point and never had a problem filing up here in the UK or abroad :hammer:

I would have had the 11kg bottles because they don`t cost that much more than the 6kg ones but my gas locker is too small for them :sad:

I've got a 60 litre underslung gas tank which was fitted by Autogas in Thirsk.Autogas Leisure 2000 Limited - Refillable Gas Solutions for Motorhomes
60 litres is roughly equivalent to 24kg of bottled gas when allowing for an 80% fill level and it lasts for ages before a refill is required.An advantage of fitting an underslung tank is it will free up the gas locker for extra storage.

We did the same and now have 3 x110Ah batteries and an inverter as well as cable storage in the former gas locker. I can also recommend Autogas2000.

I had a safefill one off ebay sent it back as my nearest filling point according to safefill was 40 miles away in Chichester I live in Brighton
luckly I got me money back now have gasit

apparently you cant plum safefill bottles in to a vehicule like gasit and gaslow I took it to my local bp autogas station to fill and got told off

Refillable "tanks" lets not call them bottles/cylinders, as that causes confusion, should be fixed into the vehicle. Loose bottles are not allowed to be filled at Autogas Pumps, see statement below.

UKLPG Information Sheet 24 - June 2007
FILLING OF USER OWNED, PORTABLE REFILLABLE LPG CYLINDERS AT AUTOGAS REFUELLING SITES

It is the advice from UKLPG that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be refilled at self service autogas refuelling sites.

Containers which are attached to a vehicle for heating or cooking (on camper vans or similar) present similar risks on filling to those for propulsion purposes and may be permitted to be re-filled at Autogas refuelling sites provided they:
1.) are not removed for refilling; and
2.) are secured in a suitable enclosure; and
3.) are fitted with an internal device to physically prevent filling beyond 80%;
4.) and are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the container.

Item 4. Rules out Safefill containers and some fitting to others.

2 X 6kg Gas It with in locker fill point and never had a problem filing up here in the UK or abroad :hammer:

I would have had the 11kg bottles because they don`t cost that much more than the 6kg ones but my gas locker is too small for them :sad:

It can be tricky to find suppliers in the Republic of Ireland - but there are more outlets in the North of Ireland.

It can be tricky to find suppliers in the Republic of Ireland - but there are more outlets in the North of Ireland.

Apologies, i should have made myself clearer.

I meant to say that at the petrol stations / garages that sell LPG / GPL i haven`t had any problems filling up.

There are reports that some places will not let you fill if you have a " in locker " fill point and you have to open the locker door, i haven`t found this to be the case.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back