Refillable systems?

I would`ve happily had 11kg bottles because they don`t cost that much more than the 6kg ones but, they simply would not fit in my gas locker :sad:

I did look at possibly increasing the size of the gas locker but it would have been a monumental reconstruction :hammer: so i didn`t bother.

The reason i refill as soon as one is empty is that i know i`ve always at least one full bottle as well as the one being used.

I have a Refillable Gas it Plus installation, witha single 22lt Bottle
I Love it, On average it only costs around the £11 to re fill from almost empty. BUT I have NO change over bottle or reserve, Which I DON'T like.
My Gas locker is fairly small, However if I've measured correctly & after I tidy up a hose run I can get a small 6kg standard Swappable bottle to sit next to it. The Gas bottle fitting that comes FROM the Refillable is the same as the Swappable so can just be swapped in the usual manner when required. This would give me a reserve, & Better chance of finding a replacement at a garage should I be in the wilds or unable to find a Refill point..

Dropbox - IMAG1625.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If at all possible go for 2 cylinders as big as poss or an underslung tank with a small reserve cylinder on board.
I had 2 x 6kg bottles on my Swift C class fitted by Autogas 2000 in Thirsk, great company that I would highly recommend. I didn't go for the auto changeover setup and just waited for a cylinder to run out then change onto second cylinder. I then knew I had to fill up at the next opportunity.
My new PVC came fitted with 1 x 11kg gasflow system. Works a treat but I'm paranoid and always checking the gauge to check on how much gas I have left as unfortunately no space to fit a second cylinder or an underslung tank. I now carry a small camping gaz one ring cooker as a standby in the event I run out of gas in the back of beyond lol !

Just to give you some of our stats. In summer which pretty much means virtually no hookup a single 11KG bottle will last up to three and a half weeks minimum. Maybe five weeks or more. early Spring or Autumn a bit less but we would probably mix a few days hookup in. In the depths of winter we would be mainly on hookup so probably not much less. As said unless your staying put or in an area where your not passing LPG stations its unlikely you will run out with a single bottle. I can usually tell you within a litre what I have left.

My Gas locker is fairly small, However if I've measured correctly & after I tidy up a hose run I can get a small 6kg standard Swappable bottle to sit next to it

the 6Kg calor bottle is still a bit of a beast - there is a physically much small 3.4Kg bottle which might fit even if the 6Kg doesnt.

Although the cost of small gas bottles is blood curdling the intention is that you wont use it so really the cost doesnt matter

Whilst I am still fit and strong (ahem!) I will use calor as typically 1*11Kg bottle lasts about a year and even though it costs twice what a refill would cost I would be a long time getting back the cost of a refillable system. the only advantage I can see is that you dont have to lift heavy gas bottles. My Nuevo will take 2*11Kg bottles but I only carry 1*11Kg and 1*3.4Kg in order to save a bit of weight

Just to give you some of our stats. In summer which pretty much means virtually no hookup a single 11KG bottle will last up to three and a half weeks minimum. Maybe five weeks or more. early Spring or Autumn a bit less but we would probably mix a few days hookup in. In the depths of winter we would be mainly on hookup so probably not much less. As said unless your staying put or in an area where your not passing LPG stations its unlikely you will run out with a single bottle. I can usually tell you within a litre what I have left.

I'm going to run my cylinder empty to actually see him how accurate the gauge is. Gaslow reckon it's very accurate, I will post the outcome.

I'm going to run my cylinder empty to actually see him how accurate the gauge is. Gaslow reckon it's very accurate, I will post the outcome.

As said above if its the one on the side, not very. Mine fell off eventually but I worked out it would read full for ages until it suddenly dropped to half and then a few days later empty but it wasnt empty. You could use it as a guide I suppose that when it drops to half its time to think about topping up but the only accurate way is to monitor your usage. My other half being an accountant keeps records of everything. On average in summer in Europe we use 0.65 litres a day which with a 22 litre single Gaslow is 33.84 days of use. If you cook a lot of Pizza or camp up an Alp and need the heating on adjust accordingly. :D

We were away staying in one spot this Autumn and had to drive off to fill up at the Petrol station after about three weeks usage. I estimated 15 litres and it was 15.05. :D

How accurate can you really expect these, relatively cheap guages to be? Surely they'll give different readings at different temperatures and altitudes, etc. I use mine as a rough guide, and thats all I expect of it.

It is highly advisable to fit a vapour filter on the output from the tank.

GasIt supply these and the current design has a renewable element with a spin-off bowl fitting.

As said above if its the one on the side, not very. Mine fell off eventually but I worked out it would read full for ages until it suddenly dropped to half and then a few days later empty but it wasnt empty. You could use it as a guide I suppose that when it drops to half its time to think about topping up but the only accurate way is to monitor your usage. My other half being an accountant keeps records of everything. On average in summer in Europe we use 0.65 litres a day which with a 22 litre single Gaslow is 33.84 days of use. If you cook a lot of Pizza or camp up an Alp and need the heating on adjust accordingly. :D

We were away staying in one spot this Autumn and had to drive off to fill up at the Petrol station after about three weeks usage. I estimated 15 litres and it was 15.05. :D
I have a 6 kg 12 lt gassit when the gauge shows empty I have 4 Lt Left as it takes 8 Lt fill just a Case of learning your gauge .

problem for me is it's a brand new motorhome, havn't even picked it up yet, so the thought of drilling a hole for an external filler. The reason i'm interested in refillables is I will want to spend a lot of time in Europe next winter, i'll have all summer to think about which gas I go for.
Mickey.

Thanks Hairydog, didn't need reminding of it losing value when it's registered, lol. You have a point about having it suit your needs, I guess that's why Helen changed from locker fill to external. I appreciate all the advice I can get.
Mickey.

I wouldnt get to worried about putting a filler on the side low down on the skirt, then again I havent got a brand new van. :D

Even if you sell it without the Gaslow you could always leave the filler in place, the next person could choose to use it or not.

problem for me is it's a brand new motorhome, havn't even picked it up yet, so the thought of drilling a hole for an external filler. The reason i'm interested in refillables is I will want to spend a lot of time in Europe next winter, i'll have all summer to think about which gas I go for.
Mickey.

To a seasoned motorhomer buying a secondhand van with a refillable gas system is a bonus, installing this will add value to your purchase, and I would get a quote from the dealer as the work would be guaranteed by them.
Bd..

I wouldnt get to worried about putting a filler on the side low down on the skirt, then again I havent got a brand new van. :D

Even if you sell it without the Gaslow you could always leave the filler in place, the next person could choose to use it or not.

Autogas 2000 fitted my external filler on the low plastic skirt on my new Swift. The skirt was flexible and moved when putting the nozzle in but in 2 1/2 years of usage I had no problems with filling and no concerns with water ingress as would be the case if it had been fitted higher up in the actual bodywork.

Mickey.

Mine was fitted to tow bar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back