Refillable LPG options?

Thanks. What dont you like about the underslung tank? I must admit I am a bit wary of a tank under the van. Just wondered how safe they are or if they are prone to damage.
The main thing I don’t like about the tank compared to 2 bottles is that I cannot turn one bottle off so that I know when I am halfway through.
And the gauges on the tank are far from accurate

The main thing I don’t like about the tank compared to 2 bottles is that I cannot turn one bottle off so that I know when I am halfway through.
And the gauges on the tank are far from accurate

Quite right Richard. I panicked before the Hereford meet because my gauge was showing empty. When I got filled up it took 5 litres (25 litre tank) and then showed full again.

it has been said before that gasit & gaslo are manufactured side by side and have the same fittings , my bessacar was a 2007 swift at the end of the day & the big alugas fitted but i’m sure you could fit the tiny 2.7 alongside an 11kg

Quite right Richard. I panicked before the Hereford meet because my gauge was showing empty. When I got filled up it took 5 litres (25 litre tank) and then showed full again.
It sounds like your tank isn’t at the correct angle,they aren’t usually that far out.
Mine was out by a long way, but then I fitted a bigger tank and bought the correct gauge to line it up, it is better but still not accurate

My preference would be Gaslow as I have had fantastic use out of ours. 13 years now I think. Plus Gaslow have responded to my emails today and been quite helpful and I think they offer a 5 year warranty whereas Gasit is 1 yr I believe. Im open to either though.

However now I am somewhat confused. My plan was to get 2 x Gaslow or Gasit 6kg and a 6kg Calor backup so I emailed Gaslow with that requirement. It seems they do some fittings which allow you to connect a Calor to the actual filler point outside the van and it equalises with the Gaslow system but as far as I can tell does not fill the cylinders and they warn not to attempt to do this. This is less than ideal as it means having the Calor outsie.

Link here. https://www.gaslowdirect.com/gaslow-technical-section/ click the How to use a Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose 01-4500

and the parts needed

If any of you are using Calor backups with your gaslow or gasit systems how are you doing it please?

One thing I just realised is the dealer who is selling this van advertises Gaslow systems so I might be able to wangle a deal.
I've seen this done but not used it myself... the regulator acts as a non return valve. Only trouble is the bottle is stood outside

Just seems strange that it didn’t keep the smell from both types of tanks if it does it from either. Was it only when you opened the gas locker you could smell it?
LPG sinks like water, so a leak from the under slung tank just flowed down hill away from the van on a gentle evening breeze on the second night of a Continental Tour (of course!) So the only thing 30l of the stuff came into contact with was the ground. There was no noticeable smell in the van and the LP detector didn’t go off.

With the gas locker I smelt “gas” from inside the van and investigated to be met with what looked like a frosty bottle. The changeover valve had already swapped to the non empty tank. I’m guessing the wind worked for us to warn us but against us re smell that time.

Another reply from Gaslow. I asked if I could remove one of the Cylinders for Uk use and replace it with a Calor so I would have 1 x 6kg Calor next to 1 x 6kg Gaslow. This is what they suggest.

"You can remove one of the Gaslow cylinders and put the Calor bottle in its place, you would have to disconnect the regulator hose from our cylinder and use the propane adapter in that hose for your Calor and you would also have to disconnect the linking fill hose between the cylinders and on our cylinder which is left in the locker you will place a filling blanking cap."
Hi Barry,

you said you currently have a mix of Calor and Gaslow bottles? How are they currently connected? do you need to get a spanner out and move the hose from one bottle to the other to switch bottles?
I am not sure if I am understanding the reply from Gaslow - are they saying you cannot physically have the calor bottle connected at the same time as the Gaslow? I am curious about this as I have in essence pipework like in your first picture, one pipe to Calor and one pipe to Gaslow, but of course, only one valve turned on at at any one time, which seems perfectly acceptable as only one type is ever active at any one time?

(lots of "?" there !!)

The Gaslow bottles have a fill pipe going in that links both bottles together as well as the pigtail Dave. You would need to blank off the fill pipe and change the pigtail

Edit: on a twin bottle system you have a number one and number two bottle. From memory the number one has a tee and the number two has an elbow.

Hi Barry,

you said you currently have a mix of Calor and Gaslow bottles? How are they currently connected? do you need to get a spanner out and move the hose from one bottle to the other to switch bottles?
I am not sure if I am understanding the reply from Gaslow - are they saying you cannot physically have the calor bottle connected at the same time as the Gaslow? I am curious about this as I have in essence pipework like in your first picture, one pipe to Calor and one pipe to Gaslow, but of course, only one valve turned on at at any one time, which seems perfectly acceptable as only one type is ever active at any one time?

(lots of "?" there !!)

The current setup is old and basic. I just have two old style regulators the same. One on top of the 11kg Gaslow and one on top of the Calor. I dont bother swapping the regulators. Just whip off the rubber hose and bung it on the other. Takes a minute. Steve at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk has been very helpful and I will talk to him tomorrow but I think Nabsim is right, on a two bottle system you have to change a pig tail and fit a blanking connector and then an adaptor for the Calor. I dont really understand it but it sounds a faff.

I don't understand why you need a calor back up, If you can fit two bottles you keep one shut until the first is empty, then you get it refilled at your leisure whilst running on your second, plus it is cheaper to refill with LPG than a Calor replacement. Also I believe Calor cannot be replaced on the continent.
Personally we only have one one 11kg or 13kg (can't remember which) but we don't have any problems, because we don't need to drain the bottle before refilling we just fill up regularly when getting diesel, a full bottle does last us more than two weeks when we go abroad.
Ours is a Gas-it I can measure the diameter of the bottle tomorrow.

I don't understand why you need a calor back up, If you can fit two bottles you keep one shut until the first is empty, then you get it refilled at your leisure whilst running on your second, plus it is cheaper to refill with LPG than a Calor replacement. Also I believe Calor cannot be replaced on the continent.
Personally we only have one one 11kg or 13kg (can't remember which) but we don't have any problems, because we don't need to drain the bottle before refilling we just fill up regularly when getting diesel, a full bottle does last us more than two weeks when we go abroad.
Ours is a Gas-it I can measure the diameter of the bottle tomorrow.

The main reason is for UK use. Its getting increasingly difficult here to find LPG and if you travel to the Scottish islands as we do you simply cant get it. However with a new van we will probably start travelling more intensively in mainland Europe again and wont really need the Calor backup (I hope) so will leave it at home. Its just a system that has worked perfectly for us for so many years. Even on the Yorkshire coast we have had trouble getting LPG fills and last time it was either a 40 mile round trip with the possibility of finding the one LPG station out of order or change to the Calor.

Refillable without a doubt.
LPG is still available around the country albeit 3x dearer than two years ago. Look on Ebay for bottles and be prepared to travel but treat it like a holiday. I bought 2x empty 11kg Gaslows in Matlock for £100, both had 2x years to run, if you follow the dates {I don't]. I filled them and resold for £195, buyer collected.
Some people have had problems with the support brackets on underslung tanks so regular inspections are vital it seems.

Refillable without a doubt.
LPG is still available around the country albeit 3x dearer than two years ago. Look on Ebay for bottles and be prepared to travel but treat it like a holiday. I bought 2x empty 11kg Gaslows in Matlock for £100, both had 2x years to run, if you follow the dates {I don't]. I filled them and resold for £195, buyer collected.
Some people have had problems with the support brackets on underslung tanks so regular inspections are vital it seems.
Underslung are supposed to be inspected and I think recoated with that under seal/paint stuff every twelve months I think Ral. Not all brackets are equal either though.

Underslung are supposed to be inspected and I think recoated with that under seal/paint stuff every twelve months I think Ral. Not all brackets are equal either though.

I'd better be having a word with Charlie then Neil!

I'd better be having a word with Charlie then Neil!
You not seen some of his posts lately Rob? Must admit I would probably be one of those who had an underslung then promptly forgot all about it for ever more apart from filling it up. Then again Charlie would nag me hahah

You not seen some of his posts lately Rob? Must admit I would probably be one of those who had an underslung then promptly forgot all about it for ever more apart from filling it up. Then again Charlie would nag me hahah

I had my tank fitted 5 years ago Neil and I have never given it a second thought. I will look up Charlie's posts.

I've got to go to Scotland before long so I will arrange to call in and get an inspection.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back