Really ???

Sounds like the right way round to me.

I think I would easily prefer to eat the meat, milk and cheese from rural France (or Spain, or Portugal), thank you!

Personally I don't see this as a problem at all? (y) 😋;)

Unless you are someone who always prefers to take your food from home with you in the interest of financial savings (or taste and eating preferences?).
Absolutely, but if arriving on a late afternoon ferry or on a Sunday/public holiday, it's been useful to be able to take enough foodstuffs to see you through till after breakfast the next day. That now becomes rather more difficult.

i can remember having 3 potatoes confiscated by the Douane . no M'sieu ,i haven't forgotten !

This used to happen at the border in N. Ireland with the Republic of Ireland. This was in the days when it was a real border. Cars had to display a triptych, which I think was a sort of a green card back in the day (early 1960s) it was a triangular shape paper which was stuck onto your windscreen beside the rear view mirror. Things like butter, eggs, bacon etc were not allowed into the south. I can’t remember wether this was reciprocated coming North.

Anyway my father would try and bluff his way over with the car and caravan, and anytime the southern customs demanded our eggs etc, he would turn the car and van, head back into the north and give the goods to the first person he saw. Wouldn’t give the stuff to the northern customs as he reckoned both sides confiscated stuff for their own use and were in cahoots.

Davy

If it does get enforced it will cause us problems with dog food. Most dogs don't tolerate a sudden change in diet anyway, and we are pretty fussy about what we feed so normally just take enough for the whole trip with us. The irony is that it is made in Germany.

Just read the EU Personal Imports link. As I interpret it dry food for dogs is OK to import.

Our dog loves and thrives on Yora brand which is made from grubs grown in the Netherlands. Another irony.

Just read the EU Personal Imports link. As I interpret it dry food for dogs is OK to import.

Our dog loves and thrives on Yora brand which is made from grubs grown in the Netherlands. Another irony.
Having a conversation with friends, wondering about bringing products back into the EU which were imported from the EU....it's a bit of a mess! Hopefully someone will sort it soon....or it will just remain another ironical annoyance!

I read this -

There is also an exemption for powdered infant milk, infant food, and special foods or special pet feed required for medical reasons, if weighing less than 2 kilograms

Ours would weigh more than 2 kilos - have you seen something different?

Have to say I took the special pet food exemption to refer to cans of wet dog meat product for example, and that dry pet food products are outside the scope of the regulation, but maybe I'm wrong.

Looking again:-
"Travellers are not allowed to bring in meat, milk or their products"
"For fishery products (including fish and certain shellfish such as prawns, lobsters, dead mussels and dead oysters), travellers are allowed to bring in up to 20 kilograms"

So, is dry dog food based on, say, chicken a meat product? Is dry dog food based on salmon a fishery product, in which case you are allowed 20kg?
What about dry dog food based on grubs? From the nutrition list of the Yora food that our dog has:- 40% Insect (Insect Meal 26.2%, Freshly Prepared Insect 8.3%, Insect Oil 5.5%)
Would I like to argue the point with a jobsworth French customs official? Hmmmm.

(BTW our dog has the Yora brand because she loves it, not for any special dietary reason)

Ours is semi dry, chicken based. But I might seriously consider changing him on to a fish based one if necessary. Not that it looks like it will be an urgent problem.

I really am hoping someone will clarify and sort this out....maybe in the next few months? Only had four and a half h to get to this stage.:mad:

An extract from the europa.eu website:

Carrying animal products, food or plants in the EU
If you are travelling in the EU you can carry meat or dairy products with you as long as they are for your own personal consumption. This also applies to plants or plant products, such as cut flowers, fruit or vegetables as long as they have been grown in an EU country and are free from pests or disease.

Seems to be carry on regardless

If you are travelling in the EU you can carry meat or dairy products with you as long as they are for your own personal consumption. This also applies to plants or plant products, such as cut flowers, fruit or vegetables as long as they have been grown in an EU country and are free from pests or disease.

Does this not refer to travel within and between EU countries which applied to us before brexit? The concerns discussed in this thread are about the regulations for carrying food products from a non EU country, ie the UK, into the EU.

I assume that this is the page: Taking animal products, food or plants with you in the EU - Your Europe (europa.eu)

While the page does also state " In this context, EU includes the 27 EU countries, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and the UK. ", I would hazard a guess that this was written for the transition period and is no longer applicable, and that the section headed "Rules when travelling from a non-EU country" now applies.

Does this not refer to travel within and between EU countries which applied to us before brexit? The concerns discussed in this thread are about the regulations for carrying food products from a non EU country, ie the UK, into the EU.

Hmm. Think you could be right.

Let's just hope that pragmatism and common sense wins the day.

Dread to think of having all your 'foodstuffs for personal consumption' going through similar draconian checks to the commercial importers/exporters.

Guess it might end up working like the old Customs days.
Going through the 'Nothing to Declare' entry/exit - or not, depending what you're carrying... o_O ;)

"Yes occifer, that really is a curling stone and not a round of Cheddar cheese, despite it smelling a bit cheesy" 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back