Really?! Weapons on Board?

Clunegapyears

We were chatting to a long time part timer in the Algarve. She pointed to a cluster of German motorhomes and said that we would be surprised what weaponry they carried on board. She also said it was not just Germans that carried self protection methods. We don't as we work on the principles that a) we are pacifists as much as possible b) weapons could be used against us and we're cowards with low pain thresholds and c) they are illegal.

Got me wondering ... what weapons have you heard of being carried? How many motorhomers do you reckon carry weapons? Of course, none of the members on this forum would ... such a calm and peaceable bunch of bods.

no weapons as such but I do carry a steering wheel lock which is metal of course and oddly enough is the same shape of a baseball bat but a little heavier, only used it once to threaten a Spaniard that was mouthing off me and other people in motorhomes, he soon realised I was not joking and legged it lol.:camper::camper::camper::camper::camper::camper::camper::camper:

I carry no weapons but do have a 3ft breaker bar for wheel nuts or any other nuts.:hammer:

I think if your camping anywhere where you actually feel you might need to have a weapon of some description then your stopping in the wrong place.

I did accidentally carry a loaded Russian Skif Air Pistol with a full 24 mag through 7 countries over four months though which I found in the bottom of the under seat locker on my return. :D I had it up in Scotland along with an air rifle doing some shooting up there and clearly forgot to take it out. Might have raised a few eyebrows if spotted at Dover. :(

I cant imagine a scenario the places we go of having to confront someone with a weapon. Any sign of trouble I would either call the rozzers (Done that before) or drive off. If its a mad axeman coming through the window chances are he would get the wife first while I make my escape out the back and off down the road on the scooter anyway. :D

My local pet suppliers sell a dog chew which is about 3 feet long and as thick and hard as a night stick. Imagine the statement fro the scrote who attempted a breakin 'he hit me with a stick officer', I then say 'it was only a dog chew officer!' Whom would he believe?

Great big mag light right beside the door, useless as a torch but a good security device, other than that several knives dotted about without counting the chefs knives on the magnetic holder, think I've got a big cleaver in the drawer, but I have no weapons only tools,

this has been discussed before, and we all know that the authorities are more concerned with the rights of the offenders, so protecting yourself with any kind of weaponry is very dodgy.
so you need to be thinking- what's acceptably innocent to be within reach ?
a spray can of Pledge, or carpet adhesive will glue the bad guy's eyelids together,no blood, no mess
i once fired off a large explosive device on a beach and a South African guy got out of his camper, furious at being disturbed, with a 44 magnum in his hand

Last edited:
We were chatting to a long time part timer in the Algarve. She pointed to a cluster of German motorhomes and said that we would be surprised what weaponry they carried on board. She also said it was not just Germans that carried self protection methods. We don't as we work on the principles that a) we are pacifists as much as possible b) weapons could be used against us and we're cowards with low pain thresholds and c) they are illegal.

Got me wondering ... what weapons have you heard of being carried? How many motorhomers do you reckon carry weapons? Of course, none of the members on this forum would ... such a calm and peaceable bunch of bods.

Heads up people, you might be better off not saying if you carry a method of self defence.
You never know who's listening!

Phil

every bodies van will be a massive arsenal of weapon ,from the jack handle ,to the knives we all carry ,the wifes hair spray makes a brill flame thrower with about a meter range thing is i doubt any of us will ever have the need to use them realy ,and lets face it if we should have to heaven forbid ,you must use them immediately no point in threatening to use them or the crim will have them off you and they will use them .be like me dont put up a fight give the mugger what he wants ,i always carry a spare wallet with useless out of date or canceled bank cards with a few fake bank notes in , chuck the mugger that ,then as there running off ,a couple of well placed 9mm slugs in the back from the glock 26 in my trouser waistband stops them :mad2::mad2:

Yes ... My religion

I am a devout coward !
Try not to stay anywhere "dodgy".

The worst we have had
1 The Citadel Namur.. Late night drinking and bottle smashing. Also earlier 2 young men "tried the door" whilst we were out walking round.
They could not open so they walked off. I simply watched but not so they knew.

2 "Gordons View" Edinburgh which is a POI
CR Cairnpapple Hill (W Lothian) Latitude = 55.925758 Longitude = -3.634195

Lots of casual overnight callers in . Maybe doing "business" or dogging.
Not a problem simply annoying mostly there for less than 30mins and no hint of hassle.
Apart from that it is a nice spot

If you feel threatened enough to carry an arsenal of weapons it's surely time to give up the wilding and stick to the caravan parks.

If you feel threatened enough to carry an arsenal of weapons it's surely time to give up the wilding and stick to the caravan parks.

More chance of getting mugged there with all the drunks going from wobbly boxes to bars & back,and then there is the funny plant lot of there heads.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back