Reality check

Mttp, wire, smart shunt, panels and battery as he's not got solar or used the new systems.

Fridges = £800. Up new.

So he need confirmation of components. Make and model numbers.

Time 2hours to fit Fridges

May be 4 hours ish for solar

It is a fairly straightforward job to do all of it if you like DIY and fit enough & you have most of the tools needed, most of the how-to is on Youtube so easy to learn, the hard part is finding the right fridge, MPPT and panels, I'm happy with lead acid, and no zero about other types.

Solar can be done a lot cheaper !

Depending on space look to use an Electric domestic Fridge and inverter (fridge only) If necessary.
12V fridges are available try Jacksons Leisure

I've not done more than a casual look at 12v fridges, but the seem to be on the small side, I would go domestic and figure out a way to lock them more effectively.

I think there are child locks out there which would do a decent job.

Did your mechanic know what the problem was with the existing fridge, spare parts new and used are out there for some models, and used fridges are there too from accident damaged caravans and motorhomes.

Good of you to ask - I think it died either because I was forever switching the bugger on and off (or maybe they are designed for that?) or because one day I took it up on my self to cut out some circuity bit in the ice box. Lasted a good while after that but who knows...

I've not done more than a casual look at 12v fridges, but the seem to be on the small side, I would go domestic and figure out a way to lock them more effectively.

I think there are child locks out there which would do a decent job.
So simple to do on any fridge.
fridge a.jpg

Competent mechanic I've used before is quoting me £1589 + VAT for a new Dometic fridge and £2500 + VAT for solar panels ont roof, which can't be very big cos I'm in a Ducato conversion with two skylights. Not including labour. My original fridge died long ago and I'm planning Europe this summer so the solar panels + fridge would be nice to have... but at those prices will have to do without. Any ideas?

Apparently I need a narrow fridge and Dometic only do one that fits so that restricts choice, even so, don't half seem expensive...
Where are you based? We do all this and would be a fraction of that cost. We are North London Btw. Tim @ Dreamscape Campers

Gold plated solar panels 😂 I fitted my own. I used semi flexible ones and kept them clear of the roof with 15mm square idolised tube glued down on a bed of Sikaflex about 1mm thick so there is an airgap underneath. Panels are pop riveted to the tubes on the outer edges and glued to the inner supports. I uses a Dometic CFX3 25 which is a small compressor top loading fridge / freezer. In freeze mode it happily stays at -18C. Certainly think £2500 for solar is a trifle steep

😬
20240311_151532.jpg

You just have to have a clean roof 🙂

Attachments

• 20240311_151532.jpg
    20240311_151532.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Gold plated solar panels 😂 I fitted my own. I used semi flexible ones and kept them clear of the roof with 15mm square idolised tube glued down on a bed of Sikaflex about 1mm thick so there is an airgap underneath. Panels are pop riveted to the tubes on the outer edges and glued to the inner supports. I uses a Dometic CFX3 25 which is a small compressor top loading fridge / freezer. In freeze mode it happily stays at -18C. Certainly think £2500 for solar is a trifle steep

😬View attachment 129032

You just have to have a clean roof 🙂
Where do you get your Idolised tubing from?

;) ;)

I'm not the sharpest knife in the Drawer, but if you can climb a step ladder and wire a 13a plug, there is not really a reason why you couldn't fit a panel and MPPT controller, you only mess with two wires at any time, multiple panels is a little more complicated, and hundreds of YouTube videos on the method.

I fitted our solar onto our previous motorhome. 2 x 100 watt panels. It was easy. The biggest anxiety was drilling a hole through the roof! But a proper, sikaflexed entry point, no worries. Our current one had two panels fitted, more than enough for us. But I did replace the MPPT controller and fitted a third battery. Again very easy. 18 months ago (ish) I replaced the fridge in it too. Bought a Thetford 4080 as a direct replacement for the old Thetford. There were some wiring discrepancies, but easily solved. But with a 12 volt compressor fridge, that should not be an issue. As for the size, there are all sorts available. This is a cursory Google search. And do I think you are in danger of being overcharged. YES!

My go to is fairly cheap too.

This is the controller I used a few times as have many others, I can't find one for sale in the UK, used to be on eBay but they stopped. I can get them direct as I have the R&D mans email.

I always got my good quality panels from Ebay.de hard to buy crap over there.

Mounting and roof entry stuff, loads on Ebay here

All my wiring etc from Vehicle Wiring Products as they don't sell crap either.

My go to is fairly cheap too.

This is the controller I used a few times as have many others, I can't find one for sale in the UK, used to be on eBay but they stopped. I can get them direct as I have the R&D mans email.

I always got my good quality panels from Ebay.de hard to buy crap over there.

Mounting and roof entry stuff, loads on Ebay here

All my wiring etc from Vehicle Wiring Products as they don't sell crap either.

Brilliant controller. Still going strong in my van. As you say a fair few of us bought them at the time. Pity they are not still available although I assume something similar is? Tells you everything you need to know and the load outlets are very useful.

Brilliant controller. Still going strong in my van. As you say a fair few of us bought them at the time. Pity they are not still available although I assume something similar is? Tells you everything you need to know and the load outlets are very useful.
You can still buy them, Eric will post them out if you ask for one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back