Reality check

EarthDemon

Competent mechanic I've used before is quoting me £1589 + VAT for a new Dometic fridge and £2500 + VAT for solar panels ont roof, which can't be very big cos I'm in a Ducato conversion with two skylights. Not including labour. My original fridge died long ago and I'm planning Europe this summer so the solar panels + fridge would be nice to have... but at those prices will have to do without. Any ideas?

Apparently I need a narrow fridge and Dometic only do one that fits so that restricts choice, even so, don't half seem expensive...

I had my fridge replaced with a Thetford N4100 last year. Bought it myself for around £600 (EDIT: actually £799) and got a local motorhome service guy to fit it. Took him less than half a day.

Similarly with the solar panels, increased from 1x 120w to 2x 120w and 2x 80w. I bought the panels, Dave fitted and rewired them, also around half a day.

Yes, I think you're being ripped off.

Last edited:
Big rip off, can be DIY jobs if you have the tools, are fit enough and have the knowledge.

Look up MCEA for one in your area and get a quote but move fast they are getting busy for the 2024 season.

Post the model of the fridge, it's on a label inside the fridge, we can then look to see if you do indeed need a special one and see what's out there, maybe look at used.

Last edited:
Solar is a pretty easy fit, two wires through the roof via roof entry point, into a controller, then two more from the to the batteries, you just need to know what you want to run from them, maybe approx two hours work for an experienced man/woman double it for a newby at the job.

Battery is basically a swap out but a heavy job.

Most of it is figuring out what you want versus what you need, the tendency is to go OTT.

As mentioned, not knowing which fridge we can't advise, but some go electric 12v or 240v with an inverter.

Decisions decisions :) :)

Stick a 230v small fridge in, my 2 90ah batts and 200w solar works perfect with a 600w soft start inverter
fridge a.jpg
fridge b.jpg

Did your mechanic know what the problem was with the existing fridge, spare parts new and used are out there for some models, and used fridges are there too from accident damaged caravans and motorhomes.

I thought all uk camper fridges are narrow ! 40 - 50 cm. I'm in Somerset if you need help.? No vat.

12v fridge prices are a bit of a con now that far better value mains fridges work well and are often far more efficient and are significantly cheaper to buy.

That quote for solar is taking the pee, humongously, staggeringly, excessive
I would love to see the quote itself in writing, maybe a decimal point is in the wrong place!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back